Help me decide, ferns for my 140

4 posters

Go down

Which fern!?

Help me decide, ferns for my 140 Vote_lcap20%Help me decide, ferns for my 140 Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]
Help me decide, ferns for my 140 Vote_lcap70%Help me decide, ferns for my 140 Vote_rcap 70% 
[ 7 ]
Help me decide, ferns for my 140 Vote_lcap10%Help me decide, ferns for my 140 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 10

Poll closed

Help me decide, ferns for my 140 Empty Help me decide, ferns for my 140

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-12, 23:18

There are 3 types of ferns in this tank now. 2 weeks ago I added a piece of bog wood that has trident fern and fissidens growing on it. In the previous tank the wood became overwhelmed with algae. Now it's cleared up the fern looks real good in the big tank. I am contemplating  the removal of all my other ferns and spreading around the Trident to the tops of all the woods in this tank. Why you might ask? Well, the African fern I have is slowly spreading over a great big piece of wood in my tank-as planned. However, I didn't anticipate how much room it's 12' long leaves would take. This fern is mainly at the top of the wood and creating  an umbrella and shading other plants. This is okay but I am thinking the Trident fern growing all over this big piece of wood can ultimately FIT, and look better not being so predominate in the tank. The Java ferns look real nice too ,but I also think having only one type of fern would add symmetry to the over all look and feel of this tank.

It's hard to decide. This plant has been growing in there for about a year. It's clippings are throughout this community but I truly think the trident would make a better fit.

So, help me decide. Any additional input is welcome!

Here is the plant I would be replacing.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Full tank shot, African fern in the middle top of the wood.

Here is that little piece of wood with the Trident and Fissidens growing on it.

Last edited by fishNAbowl on 2013-12-13, 00:53; edited 3 times in total
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Help me decide, ferns for my 140 Empty Re: Help me decide, ferns for my 140

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-12-12, 23:43

Decisions, decisions! Oh man, that trident stuff looks amazing! Smile

Question: would getting rid of the african fern be hard, since the rhizomes are stuck onto the driftwood?

Well, whatever you decide, I'm so jelly with how your tank looks. It's absolutely stunning!!! MAN... I want that tank! Hahahaha Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2013-12-12, 23:56

Hi theChad,

The Bolbitis heudelotii is nice, but it got to be 22"+ tall in my tank, a little large for my taste.  I like the new Bolbitis 'short form' that I got from Ghazanfar Ghori a year or so ago.  It has taken a while to get established.  It grows about 1/2 as tall as Bolbitis heudelotii, the leaves are a lighter green, and has sort of a 'weeping' habit.

I like Microsorum pteropus 'Trident'; in fact I was the one that first brought it to the Northwest.  I purchased it from a GWAPA member and had it shipped in Feb. 2009 .  I started bringing it to GSAS meeting in fall '09 and it is still one of my favorites.

Lastly, also maybe even more compact than the M. pteropus 'Trident' is M.p. 'Windelov'....the curly tops look really good.

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist on 2013-12-13, 00:20; edited 1 time in total
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-13, 00:09

The idea was for this wood to be completely covered in ferns and Anubias carefully grown in spots. This wood has a branch that stems from the bottom and rises straight up. Anubias is now growing this branch. I am unable to allow this fern to run down the sides because it will split the tank in half and make a barrier where the Angels can not pass.

@ Thanks Poke. I've been pulling off runners for months now, trading and getting store credit @ the CoOp. Yes the plant may lose some roots but it's a strong and  hardy plant.

@ Seattle_Aquarist, SHORT FORM?! That would be fabulous. I love the look of the African fern. To have it in a smaller form would be great! Still, in the last few months I've been working on symmetry. Like seen in the picture the background plants on the left side have been transplanted from the right side. At one time there was many background plants like species of fern. Slowly I'm choosing particular plants to gain symmetry instead of randomness.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-12-13, 08:48

fishNAbowl wrote:

@ Thanks Poke. I've been pulling off runners for months now, trading and getting store credit @ the CoOp. Yes the plant may lose some roots but it's a strong and  hardy plant.

I probably have some of your bolbitis one of my tanks. I bought it for that big 155G bowfront I had...It looked awesome but in selling that tank I knew I had to keep it and moved it to my 125G tank. I love it. Thanks for growing such a great plant. If you do decide to replace it put that baby into another tank and grow it just to share it/sell it. It's a great plant.

As for the other ferns...I also have some trident ferns growing in some of my tanks (and grandfathered thanks for those must have to go to Roy) and of course many javas. I like the look of the mixed ferns with mixed anubias but my plants don't grow like yours so I've not had an overgrowth situation (at least not yet).

cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-13, 16:37

If voting keeps going the way it is I will have a bunch of Java and African water fern available Very Happy
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down