PokeSephiroth
dwarfpike
Madness
CrazedAce
10 posters

Go down

wafishbox.com VS www.wafishbox.com Empty wafishbox.com VS www.wafishbox.com

Post  CrazedAce 2013-11-14, 00:58

So up until a couple days ago I used to just type in wafishbox.com. Well now it redirects me to a go daddy site saying the domain is for sale. I have to manually enter www now, which I've NEVER had to do before. Is the site being sold/traded again? Why did this just recently change?
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

wafishbox.com VS www.wafishbox.com Empty Re: wafishbox.com VS www.wafishbox.com

Post  Madness 2013-11-14, 02:00

I have always had to type www or else I got the same thing
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-11-14, 02:07

I don't type in the www, but chrome automatically puts it in for me once I start typing. Firefox doesn't though.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-14, 04:44

Hmm..interesting. Whenever I go here, I usually do it in 1 of two ways.

1. My google chrome knows me well enough, so when I open a new tab, I just type in "wa" and I press enter, and it automatically fills the rest in.

2. I open a new tab in chrome (using Awesome New Tab Page extension) and click on the custom shortcut/button I made, which directs me to the site. I've never had to type www. before, oddly enough. Hmmm...
wafishbox.com VS www.wafishbox.com Wafish13
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-11-14, 10:52

I use Chrome also and its the same. And you can buy domain names that are already owned if the people will sell the domain name so basically everything is listed as "for sale" even though it might not be.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-11-14, 12:59

I have it saved on my favorites bar so I just have to click the tab lol
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-11-14, 13:12

PokeSephiroth wrote:Hmm..interesting. Whenever I go here, I usually do it in 1 of two ways.

1. My google chrome knows me well enough, so when I open a new tab, I just type in "wa" and I press enter, and it automatically fills the rest in.

2. I open a new tab in chrome (using Awesome New Tab Page extension) and click on the custom shortcut/button I made, which directs me to the site. I've never had to type www. before, oddly enough. Hmmm...
Why does the Sriracha not surprise me?  LOL

And the The Pirate Bay?  naughty naughty as if I don't use it too
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-11-14, 13:40

Site isn't being sold or anything. I'm moving fish tanks today to my new house but in late hours of the night I'll see if I can add more redirects to the site.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-14, 14:15

Lamental Jester wrote:
PokeSephiroth wrote:Hmm..interesting. Whenever I go here, I usually do it in 1 of two ways.

Why does the Sriracha not surprise me?  LOL

And the The Pirate Bay?  naughty naughty as if I don't use it too
In this day and age, TPB hasn't been really good. I need to change that to TorrentDay, a private "invite only" site that has awesome seeders. I have 2 invites left, lemme know if you want one.

So, I tested doing just "wafishbox.com" in two different browsers (Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox) and they both work. Oddly enough, when you are at the site, the site URL does include the www. so I'm wondering if this might just be a cookie issue? Or... *shrugs* lol.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-11-14, 15:36

PokeSephiroth wrote:In this day and age, TPB hasn't been really good. I need to change that to TorrentDay, a private "invite only" site that has awesome seeders. I have 2 invites left, lemme know if you want one.
Yes! I would love an invite! I've been stuck with Pirate Bay and KAT
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2013-11-14, 15:48

If you've ever entered, www.wafishbox.com or visited it via a link, the browser will know that it is a direct link. If you enter wafishbox.com, your browser will receive a redirect to the godaddy ad because no host name (www) was specified. If you've done both, most browsers will take you to the direct site rather than the godaddy redirect because the direct sites are preferred (various techniques come into play here and results will vary from browser to browser). If you type wafishbox.com and get www.wafishbox.com, but you would like to see the godaddy site, then you can enter http://www.wafishbox.com. That will override all the "include www." algorithms and send you straight to the godaddy site. Why this is happening is because godaddy is being fishy as always and adjusting how they handle default redirects :)There should be an easy fix in their site, but in the meantime, just enter www. and you'll be at the right place (if you're seeing this, you already figured it out).
Smile Sorry, couldn't help geeking out.
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-14, 16:03

My brain has fried. Thanks a lot Tom! Hahaha

LJ: I need your e-mail. PM it to me. Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-11-14, 17:52

Unless I'm clicking on an already bookmarked tab most of the time I end up on the godaddy or simmilar site >.< but I figured that was user error. IE even right now I'm in firefox, with a multitude of threads open on here, and if I do new tab, "wa" autofill it sends me to the godaddy. however if I type "wafishbox.com/forum" it takes me to the right place as does adding /portal. the only internets I use are firefox and evil Internet explorer. my phone however knows exactly where to go every time lol
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2013-11-14, 18:16

KaraWolf wrote:Unless I'm clicking on an already bookmarked tab most of the time I end up on the godaddy or simmilar site >.< but I figured that was user error. IE even right now I'm in firefox, with a multitude of threads open on here, and if I do new tab, "wa" autofill it sends me to the godaddy. however if I type "wafishbox.com/forum" it takes me to the right place as does adding /portal. the only internets I use are firefox and evil Internet explorer. my phone however knows exactly where to go every time lol
Sounds like the "various techniques come into play here and results will vary from browser to browser" heuristic is getting you there. There is a neat trick in some browsers that may help you.

First, go to the address bar and start typing wafishbox. You should see an autocomplete list of URLs pop down from the address bar. You can then press the down arrow and select the different options. Once you do so, you can press the delete key on your keyboard to delete the options you don't like (you should delete http://www.wafishbox.com and wafishbox.com, keep the www. options). This way, you are giving a strong vote to your browser that you like www.wafishbox.com and not wafishbox.com. This is part of those heuristics I mentioned. Next time you type wafishbox.com, autocomplete will be more likely to take you to www.wafishbox.com Smile

I've only tried this on firefox and IE and I'm sure different versions will have different results, so YMMV. Hope it helps tho!
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-11-14, 18:24

ooooo I had no idea you could DELETE some of the options XD that's awesome!
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-11-14, 21:47

"private" torrent sites is how people get caught for downloading torrents. Seeding is what increases your chances of getting caught. I will admit I am a leecher after a few torrents from demonoid were tracked and I got the lovely "cease and desist" letter from my ISP. Its not fun having your internet go from 30mb/s to 26kb/s.

Anyways, both my windows 8 phone and Firefox on my PC redirect me to the go daddy site without the www. But I swear this is a recent change, because I've been referring people to this site by just giving them the URL without the www. Guess a few people think I'm full of crap now. Lol
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-11-15, 12:58

With Tom's help last night I made a change that hopefully fixed this problem. If you would try it out for me CrazedAce and let us know if it's fixed.

Thanks.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-11-15, 13:08

It works! No more Go Daddy redirection! Very Happy
Thanks to you, Cory, and Tom!
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2013-11-15, 13:42

Score! Worked for me too :)Thanks Cory!

(no more random searching for Danica Patrick because the ad reminded me of her every time I came to fishbox Smile)
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down