weird habit while treating one of my tanks?

5 posters

Go down

weird habit while treating one of my tanks? Empty weird habit while treating one of my tanks?

Post  fishyladdy 2013-11-06, 07:14

Sooo I'm not sure what got into my acei... but she is having a dang freak out lately! For the past two days since I started treating my tank for ick (ugh yuck) she has been darting around the tank hitting the top of the water waking me up in the middle of the night by splashing the water all over me. Idk if she's just feeling better? Or she's just hungry cuz she's holding so she's flipping out. Idk but whatever it is she needs to chill out she's freaking out all my other fish lmao... has anyone ever experienced anything like this??

Last edited by PokeSephiroth on 2013-11-06, 11:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Please refrain from using curse words. Bypassing them is no better, as the word implied is still there. Thank you.)
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

weird habit while treating one of my tanks? Empty Re: weird habit while treating one of my tanks?

Post  KaraWolf 2013-11-06, 14:13

I treated for ick and Mojo, my RTS, freaked out, turning stress gray, flipping out against the tank lid, hanging out in the wrong portions of tank. She actually damaged herself enough to look like crap from bashing the lid of the tank Sad  I assume you are doing a temp raise and salt to treat? It could be the temperature she doesn't care for.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

weird habit while treating one of my tanks? Empty Re: weird habit while treating one of my tanks?

Post  fishyladdy 2013-11-06, 15:27

Im treating with this all natural stuff i got from the store it smells like soi sauce it grosses me out. I think ur right tho it probably is the temp. Shes really beating her self up though shes scraped scalles off really bad and is almost white on one side from rubbing her self again stuff Sad
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-11-06, 15:52

It could be a reaction to the medication or temperature, but it could also be the ich. Rubbing and scratching against things and sometimes erratic swimming are symptoms of ich.  

What is the temperature in the tank?
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-11-06, 15:53

The white should just be surface damage. Once I finished the treatment and the temp went down again she quit being weird and it started healing back up to pure black in less then 24 hours. She looks awesome now with only a little of the fin damage she did still healing. Not sure what the stuff you're using costs but if she does some real damage or you're too worried about her you can always bump the temp back down some and treat for longer. For lower temps it takes a lot longer but is still possible. If I hadn't been at the tail end of treatment I might have done this because all I was using was heat and non-iodized salt at .88 cents a lb (which was just enough to treat 55 gallons once over) but she was just causing superficial damage that I could see and I was nearly done.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2013-11-06, 17:03

I have found the best way to cure ick is to turn the temperature up to 86 degrees for a day.

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-11-06, 17:33

KaraWolf wrote:using was heat and non-iodized salt at .88 cents a lb (which was just enough to treat 55 gallons once over) .
25lbs for $4 at Costco
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-11-06, 17:34

fishyladdy wrote:Sooo I'm not sure what got into my acei... but she is having a dang freak out lately! For the past two days since I started treating my tank for ick (ugh yuck) she has been darting around the tank hitting the top of the water waking me up in the middle of the night by splashing the water all over me. Idk if she's just feeling better? Or she's just hungry cuz she's holding so she's flipping out. Idk but whatever it is she needs to chill out she's freaking out all my other fish lmao... has anyone ever experienced anything like this??
It is a reaction to the ICH. Like Betty said, these are symptoms of ICH. That is why it is very important to catch it in its earliest stages.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-11-06, 17:43

I got a new fish then the next day realized it was rubbing against rocks.. so immediately started treatment but it seems to have spread worse over night and now I'm stressing. I turned my temp up to 82 but I guess ill raise it more ick competely grosses me out I dnt even wanna stick my hand in the water once I'm done with treatment I'm going to boil all decore.. this is my first time ever getting ick and I'm not happy about it. This is also the first cichlid I've bought from jones in marysville Sad I'm not happy about this at all the fish didn't look sick when I bought her but started acting sick the next day so idk I'm gonna raise my temp now tho Idnt want to lose fish!
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2013-11-06, 21:27

Salt will kill plecos so be careful.

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-11-06, 22:40

thats why im not using salt.
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2013-11-07, 01:10

Heated tanks work. It dies about 82 degrees but 86 gets the stronger paramecium as well. You won't have to boil stuff after that.

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down