A cleaner additive to raise GH & KH based on TDS readings

5 posters

Go down

A cleaner additive to raise GH & KH  based on TDS readings Empty A cleaner additive to raise GH & KH based on TDS readings

Post  unikorn 2013-10-30, 23:44

I am looking for a "clean" GH/KH Up additive, Kent's ro right raises tends to raise the TDS in my tank enormously in my shrimp tank. I use Seachem's safe as my dechlor.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by unikorn on 2013-10-30, 23:47; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong brand)
unikorn
unikorn
Fry

Back to top Go down

A cleaner additive to raise GH & KH  based on TDS readings Empty Re: A cleaner additive to raise GH & KH based on TDS readings

Post  pbmax 2013-10-31, 00:46

Any additive that increases GH or KH is going to increase your TDS (conductivity, as most commonly measured) - there's no way around it. Unless you can modify the laws of physics, that is. Very Happy

I use Seachem Equilibrium to raise GH and Seachem Alkaline Buffer to raise KH.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

A cleaner additive to raise GH & KH  based on TDS readings Empty Re: A cleaner additive to raise GH & KH based on TDS readings

Post  unikorn 2013-10-31, 01:12

Have you had any experiences with Salty Shrimp?
unikorn
unikorn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-10-31, 01:20

No, I have not. A quick search yields a claim of 192 ppm for 6dGH for Salty Shrimp's Shrimp Mineral product. This seems fairly consistent with what I use, though I can't be sure without trying it with RO water (I usually use it with my tap, though I do have a RO setup for drinking water). TDS in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can indicate the presence of excessive dissolved organic material.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  unikorn 2013-10-31, 01:28

So, really I should focus on the GH & KH numbers more so than the tds. Up until the tds is unsafe?
unikorn
unikorn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-10-31, 01:36

The bigger question is why are you increasing GH/KH in your shrimp tank to begin with?

I increase KH in tanks where I have problems keeping the PH from crashing (over-feeding, typically) and GH + KH in tanks where I keep platies since they prefer pretty hard water. Neocaridina do fine in my tap water (4 dGH, 5 dKH) and are generally pretty adaptable to all sorts of water.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2013-10-31, 01:46

Is using crushed coral not an option for your tank? Also, are you measuring KH/GH independently? TDS is an overall measurement that bundles in everything into one number, so it would be nice to compare overall TDS to KH/GH. I would focus on those and use TDS as a quick check to see if you have to perform a more detailed test. (10 seconds to test TDS vs. 1 minute and a lot of color checking to test KH/GH.)

Also, some LFS carry tabs to help raise calcium specifically so the shrimp can build hardier shells. Aquarium coop has some good ones.
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-10-31, 01:51

Crushed coral and tabs give inconsistent and highly-variable increased calcium in the water. The most effective way to increase calcium in the water that I've found is a product made for that purpose, like equilibrium.

That said, in my experience, having water with 4 dGH, shrimp do just fine. Also, keep in mind that there are many varieties of freshwater shrimp that prefer very soft and/or acidic water (like CRS or CBS) with much less calcium. Shrimp are far less calcium-sensitive than snails are.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  unikorn 2013-10-31, 05:26

My GH is 2 and my KH is 2. I do test them both using the api liquid test kit. I want to make sure the shrimp don't have any problems molting. I have figured out how to feed them, every 3 days with only a small amount they can finish quickly.
unikorn
unikorn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-10-31, 09:56

How long have you had them? While that is on the low side, I would try keeping them for a while without modifying the water and see how they do. You can also feed them foods high in calcium - like dried or blanched kale leaves or something like Ken's veggie sticks with calcium (this is what I feed my shrimp). The only thing I'd be wary of is swings in the PH with a KH that low. But given your feeding schedule this isn't terribly likely.

I can vouch for the calcium in kale leaves... my finger nails grew like crazy when my wife put the stuff in my sandwiches regularly. Wink
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-10-31, 13:31

Hi unikorn. Like pbmax says, try not modifying the water and see how they do. I have cherries, blue velvets, and yellows, and they all do fine with the Seattle tap water without any additives or chemicals.
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  plaamoo 2013-10-31, 14:15

I have soft water here also. Kh & gh 1-2. I add a little equilibrium for gh & baking soda for kh with my water changes just to avoid crashes. Cherry shrimp do great in my water.

TDS as stated is a broad reading of all the charged ions in your water. They're really only useful for measuring fluctuations between water changes. Specific tests are then necessary to determine the cause of the change. Once you get a handle on the content of your water, you can make better sense of the TDS readings.

plaamoo
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  unikorn 2013-10-31, 15:21

Awesome you guys Smile I have had them for a few months. I do a 10-20% wc once a week. I make sure and allow the tap water time to be the same temp as the tank water. They seem happy, lots of babies and a female or a few females always has eggs. I just wanted to make sure that the babies wouldn't run into molting issues or the females either.

That's good to hear Jester. Coming from FL shrimp did not do well. The PH was past the darkest purple and the GH was insane, while the KH was super low.
unikorn
unikorn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-10-31, 15:28

Sounds like your shrimp are thriving; congrats! Smile You seem to be doing everything right, so just keep on doing what you're doing. Spot On 
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down