Help me determine the sex of my Angelfish!

3 posters

Go down

Help me determine the sex of my Angelfish!  Empty Help me determine the sex of my Angelfish!

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-18, 02:29

Silver Angel
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Platinum Angel
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

IDK, confused as all get go. I have heard arguments both ways " can not always sex Angels, the only true way is if they pair up or not..." , & then there are diagrams, lists of differences , ect...

As requested by another WashFishBox member I am posting a couple pictures in hopes of sexing these two awesome pets.

Any input appreciated Very Happy
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Help me determine the sex of my Angelfish!  Empty Re: Help me determine the sex of my Angelfish!

Post  Angelman 2013-10-18, 03:00

The only sure fire way is when they are getting ready to lay eggs. Please watch the Video I made.

If I had to guess by your pictures I would have to say that you have all females, but again you wont know until they are ready to lay eggs...
Angelman
Angelman

http://p4angels.com

Back to top Go down

Help me determine the sex of my Angelfish!  Empty Re: Help me determine the sex of my Angelfish!

Post  Guest 2013-10-18, 03:02

The platinum is a male and silver is a female.
The platinum male has a bump on forehead and forked front fin. The silver female has smooth front fin, no forehead bump and smaller body. Can you see the sex tubes yet?

I hope Angelman can show us the difference.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-10-18, 03:04

I guess im slow at typing. He answered b4 I did. Lol.

Beautiful angels Angelman.

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelman 2013-10-18, 03:13

SirWesDragon thanks for the additional input.   It always hard to tell in a picture and then it's only a guess on my part.  I have heard all the wife's  tales of how to sex angels form the bump on the head, to the swelling of a female, males being larger and females being smaller, but the only 100 % sure fire way to tell is when they are getting ready to spawn and their papilla (sex organs) appears.
Angelman
Angelman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-10-18, 03:25

I got that diagram from an angel fish selling site. Forgot where. I just copy pasted it on to my phone. Thought it was legit.  Well you're the angel expert.  Btw im interested in some of your angels.

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelman 2013-10-18, 03:31

I'm no expert by any means... Still learning just like every one else... I sent you a PM on the fish....
Angelman
Angelman

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-18, 08:41

I will check on the papilla & update the findings here. Lest these two get along like no other group I've had. As soon as I put the Platinum in with the Silver they have been thick as thieves in their 7ft tank. Thanks for the input guys!!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  star_rider 2013-10-18, 18:39

I agree with Angelman.. the only reliable method for determining the sex is to view the ovipositors.(tubes)
there is a very distinct difference in the shape/size..

star_rider
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down