Tropheus duboisi in cichlid community tank?

5 posters

Go down

Tropheus duboisi in cichlid community tank? Empty Tropheus duboisi in cichlid community tank?

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2013-10-15, 02:21

Does anybody have experience with Tropheus duboisi in a community tank? An article in cichlid forum describes them as 'quarrelsome'. That gives me pause about acquiring a trio for an African community.

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Tropheus duboisi in cichlid community tank? Empty Re: Tropheus duboisi in cichlid community tank?

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-10-15, 08:45

I do not have personal experience with tropheus but most of the setups I've seen have them being kept in species only groups...and larger groups. I don't think they are well suited for community tanks. I know we have some tropheus owners on here so hopefully they will chime in.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Tropheus duboisi in cichlid community tank? Empty Re: Tropheus duboisi in cichlid community tank?

Post  Elblin 2013-10-15, 08:50

People do it, but it probably isn't ideal for a number of reasons.  They are better in a species tank with a large number (10-12+) of the same type together to spread out aggression as they can be pretty aggressive to each other.  The other issue I would worry about is diet, they are by nature veggie eaters and need a particular diet to thrive, most other Africans are not.  They are also very susceptible to stomach or intestinal issues otherwise known collectively as bloat, which can be triggered by stress or the wrong foods.

Elblin
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  WhosUrDadi 2013-10-15, 11:48

Elblin wrote:People do it, but it probably isn't ideal for a number of reasons.  They are better in a species tank with a large number (10-12+) of the same type together to spread out aggression as they can be pretty aggressive to each other.  The other issue I would worry about is diet, they are by nature veggie eaters and need a particular diet to thrive, most other Africans are not.  They are also very susceptible to stomach or intestinal issues otherwise known collectively as bloat, which can be triggered by stress or the wrong foods.

agreed to Elbin! same thing i was thingking!

+1

WhosUrDadi
WhosUrDadi
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-10-15, 12:04

I agree as well. With a few exceptions, I don't think trios or pairs work out too well with most African cichlids.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WhosUrDadi 2013-10-15, 12:39

Betty wrote:I agree as well. With a few exceptions, I don't think trios or pairs work out too well with most African cichlids.  
depends on which one are you talking about. you can keep a pair or trio of frontosa along with other tank mates...

it doesn't apply to all african cichlids... ^_^
WhosUrDadi
WhosUrDadi
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-10-15, 12:47

WhosUrDadi wrote:
Betty wrote:I agree as well. With a few exceptions, I don't think trios or pairs work out too well with most African cichlids.  
depends on which one are you talking about. you can keep a pair or trio of frontosa along with other tank mates...

True!  (That's why I said there are a few exceptions.)  I have leleupi and marlieri that have been paired for years.  I can't think of any Malawi cichlids that are good in pairs...Question
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WhosUrDadi 2013-10-15, 13:12

Betty wrote:
WhosUrDadi wrote:

True!  (That's why I said there are a few exceptions.)  I have leleupi and marlieri that have been paired for years.  I can't think of any Malawi cichlids that are good in pairs...Question
might some of the Haps (not 100% sure since i have not kept some Haps yet) maybe the malawi trouts (guessing but kinda positive because i've seen one of the members from trophs.com video theirs breeding) with tank mates.. =)
WhosUrDadi
WhosUrDadi
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2013-10-15, 15:03

I already have a large group of 15 P demasoni juviniles. They are in a tank with, Peacocks, Blue Haps (S. fryeri), and a couple of other Africans that do well with one male and a few females. This pretty much answers my question. The 'demons' are the smallest and meanest fish in the tank. I have been collecting fry so they all grow up together in my 90. So I guess I'll probably skip the Tropheus. Thanx all!

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down