New critter in the small cichlid tank

+4
Anthraxx
bronzefighter
DMD123
fishNAbowl
8 posters

Go down

New critter in the small cichlid tank  Empty New critter in the small cichlid tank

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-30, 09:17

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Cool looking little catfish from South America.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

New critter in the small cichlid tank  Empty Re: New critter in the small cichlid tank

Post  DMD123 2013-09-30, 11:11

Nice looking little cat.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

New critter in the small cichlid tank  Empty Re: New critter in the small cichlid tank

Post  bronzefighter 2013-09-30, 20:10

Glad to see that Old Man Jenkins went to a good home!
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-30, 21:39

OMG its got a name- great, now I am going to have to name the 100 other fish I have.

He's going to love this tank. 7 feet of twisted wood & plants, thank you Dylan he is super cool looking.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-09-30, 22:13

you may literally not see him for a year or more.. lolz. also he looks a lot like an electric catfish i had awhile back, less bands but body/fin look the same. either way a nice find.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-30, 22:20

Anthraxx wrote:you may literally not see him for a year or more.. lolz. also he looks a lot like an electric catfish i had awhile back, less bands but body/fin look the same. either way a nice find.
Actually don't mind having 1 or 2 critters like that. There is a pair of Apistogramma Tefe in there somewhere too. The last time I gave up hope they came out of nowhere. I swear they are nocturnal too.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-10-01, 00:32

Hey at least the fish are happy! I want my planted 29gal to just become enveloped with plants so my Apistogramma cacatuoides are able to thrive.

I like the Nymphoides taiwan you have there. I wish the ones I got at the swap meet would grow faster!

Awesome looking fish too. You should have gotten two and tried to breed them! lol
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-01, 01:09

CrazedAce wrote:Hey at least the fish are happy! I want my planted 29gal to just become enveloped with plants so my Apistogramma cacatuoides are able to thrive.

I like the Nymphoides taiwan you have there. I wish the ones I got at the swap meet would grow faster!

Awesome looking fish too. You should have gotten two and tried to breed them! lol
Thanks CrazedAce, I traded the fish for some Anubias. Was the only one they had.

As soon as your plant takes root it should shoot up pretty quickly. The plants you see have been just transplanted as well. There are 2 on the right just out of the picture that are  2' tall .
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2013-10-01, 18:11

fishNAbowl wrote:
Anthraxx wrote:you may literally not see him for a year or more.. lolz. also he looks a lot like an electric catfish i had awhile back, less bands but body/fin look the same. either way a nice find.
Actually don't mind having 1 or 2 critters like that. There is a pair of Apistogramma Tefe in there somewhere too. The last time I gave up hope they came out of nowhere. I swear they are nocturnal too.
Yeah he's definitely nocturnal. A couple of times I could have sworn that he was dead and wedged somewhere out of site, until I saw the little clouds of sand that he would kick up when digging out his burrows. cheers 
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-10-01, 18:29

Nice catfish and very nice angel fish

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-10-01, 20:00

Looks cool, I am thinking about getting something like this but smaller for my 20 gallon. I hope he is less shy than everyone is predicting, but that always makes it much more exciting when you finally do see him. I haven't seen my clown pleco out for about a month, but I can usually see its tail sticking out from under its favorite hiding place (it's not very good at hiding) so I know it's at least alive
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-01, 22:17

SiRWesDragon wrote:Nice catfish and very nice angel fish
Thanks Wes, both are my newest additions to this tank.

LuminousAphid wrote:Looks cool, I am thinking about getting something like this but smaller for my 20 gallon. I hope he is less shy than everyone is predicting, but that always makes it much more exciting when you finally do see him. I haven't seen my clown pleco out for about a month, but I can usually see its tail sticking out from under its favorite hiding place (it's not very good at hiding) so I know it's at least alive
Yup, this cat is nocturnal . Haven't seen em all day. Got a pretty active tank so 1 or 2 fish that are shy isn't a bad thing. I used to strategically place half caves, and the rest of my decor around to see all nocturnal fish most of the time. That's not happening in this tank. Big tank, lots of hiding places...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-10-01, 22:47

Write up says

The bumblebee catfish is a quite vibrant colored fish and very amusing to watch when it comes out of it's hiding hole to scavenge for food. Normally the bumblebee catfish is nocturnal and will only come out at night, but if it becomes aware of food being present during the daytime, it will come out and feed during the middle of the day and bury it's head in the substrate just to get the few bits of food there are laying around the tank.

Try dropping a sinking pellet in the tank at the same area each day and see if you can lure him out. My big pleco has learned that when I feed the fish in his tank, I drop a couple of algae tabs in the tank at the far back right corner. He is now anticipating this and swimming to that area to check to see if I have dropped any in. Fish are so freaking smart...really!!!
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-10-01, 22:51

cichlid-gal wrote:Try dropping a sinking pellet in the tank at the same area each day and see if you can lure him out.  My big pleco has learned that when I feed the fish in his tank, I drop a couple of algae tabs in the tank at the far back right corner.  He is now anticipating this and swimming to that area to check to see if I have dropped any in.  Fish are so freaking smart...really!!!
I've trained banjos and rapheals the same way. Banjos were really neat shaking off the sand they buried themselves in.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-01, 22:53

cichlid-gal wrote:Write up says

The bumblebee catfish is a quite vibrant colored fish and very amusing to watch when it comes out of it's hiding hole to scavenge for food. Normally the bumblebee catfish is nocturnal and will only come out at night, but if it becomes aware of food being present during the daytime, it will come out and feed during the middle of the day and bury it's head in the substrate just to get the few bits of food there are laying around the tank.

Try dropping a sinking pellet in the tank at the same area each day and see if you can lure him out.  My big pleco has learned that when I feed the fish in his tank, I drop a couple of algae tabs in the tank at the far back right corner.  He is now anticipating this and swimming to that area to check to see if I have dropped any in.  Fish are so freaking smart...really!!!
Neat cichlid-gal, I will give it a shot Smile
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down