+5
master chi
PokeSephiroth
JimA
Lamental Jester
SonicsDC25
9 posters

Go down

How to grow green algae on rocks? Empty How to grow green algae on rocks?

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-09-16, 13:30

I've seen various tanks on the forums that has green algae on their rocks and I absolutely love that color contrast. Does anyone know or have tips on how to grow that algae? Also, if I went to a lake and got one rock covered in green algae, what steps/precautions should I take to treat that rock before putting it into my tank? Or should that method of growing algae be avoided?

Thanks!
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

How to grow green algae on rocks? Empty Re: How to grow green algae on rocks?

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-16, 14:06

you can just get java moss (or some other aquatic moss) and tie it to your rocks with black string or fishing wire, eventually the moss will attach itself and you'll be good to go.  Another option is Marimo Moss, which is a type of algae, I've recently started using this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It's really easy to lay out.

I would avoid getting moss covered algae from lakes, you don't know what bad stuff will come with it!  If you're just trying to get just regular algae on your rocks, just give it time, they'll start growing on your rocks eventually, lol
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2013-09-16, 14:38

Lamental Jester wrote:you can just get java moss (or some other aquatic moss) and tie it to your rocks with black string or fishing wire, eventually the moss will attach itself and you'll be good to go.  Another option is Marimo Moss, which is a type of algae, I've recently started using this:

It's really easy to lay out.

I would avoid getting moss covered algae from lakes, you don't know what bad stuff will come with it!  If you're just trying to get just regular algae on your rocks, just give it time, they'll start growing on your rocks eventually, lol
I like that layout, what are you going for??

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-09-16, 15:30

Thanks Lamental, though I'm worried that my mbunas (Ps. Saulosi) would tear them up before it had a chance to adhere to the rocks lol; btw that is an absolutely gorgeous tank :)What fish is going to get the treat of calling it home?
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-16, 16:19

Thank guys:

@JimA: I'm doing a Iwagumi-like layout, trying to have it look like a mountain scape

@SonicsDC25: Just have some neo-yellow shrimp in there I got at the SWAP, which I will be posting pics of real soon, they are spectacular looking in the tank.

In terms of the algae, if you add more light to the tank you'll probably start getting algae, just be careful, you don't want too much! lol
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-16, 18:15

You could set aside a couple rocks and put them in a small glass jar, and leave it next to a window. You just have to leave the jar alone and green algae will start to form on it in a couple weeks (months........maybe even just a couple days.)

Once you're happy with the rocks, you can place them back in to the tank Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2013-09-16, 18:44

Sonic,the problem your going to have is green algae doesn't thrive in the high ph water your mbuna are most likely to thrive in. Your best bet is to get lighting suited for plant growth,and slowly lower your tank's PH to the lowest suitable level for malawi cichlids. I'd say around 7.2. The PH for mbuna won't be that important in terms of its level as much as making sure it's stable. then I think the green algae will have a chance. Here's a couple shots of my old set up from a while back.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Notice the green algae,and mbuna in the tank. This tank's Ph was around 7.0 all the time,I used standard daylight bulbs,ones that weren't too bright.  the super daylights from ocean sun would be an example of too bright,10,000k. I would try for between 2,800k and 4,200k bulbs to get the green,and hopefully maintain it. The only problem is your fish colors will be better in a 10,000k super daylight,or 6,5000k 50/50 actinic white setup. so you will be sacrificing fish color for tank color. If you you go with the higher brightness bulbs the algae will most likely grow faster,but it will be more reddish,especially in the harder water. Maybe in softer water the high brightness won't matter that much,you could just get extra bulbs in different ranges and try what works best too.
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-16, 18:48

Whoa, the growth on those rocks look nice! They almost look like Marimo Moss Balls! Very neat Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2013-09-16, 19:23

yeah the fish loved to pick at it too. I wanted to have some aufwuchs going on. Then I realized how much more there was to that. I still would love it,but admittedly I have failed to do much research into what type of insects would be suitable for aufwuchs. Hey maybe I will start to get on that soon. How cool would it be to have a self sustaining biotope,without any need for commercial fish food in a cichlid tank. I say that would be awesome!!
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-09-16, 19:25

master chi wrote:Here's a couple shots of my old set up from a while back.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Freaking nice man. I get algae like that only on the glass top from air bubbles popping and water accumulating on the glass.

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-09-17, 02:39

In that case, I'll probably just give up on getting algae, though I do see some brown spots on my tank glass, is it brown algae and what should I do to prevent it?
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-17, 02:51

SonicsDC25: another alternative you can do, is ditch the algae project, and use repashy foods, it's this powdered stuff that turns into a jello-like consistency when you add boiling water to it.

Because of that, you can be as creative as you want. You can put the mixture into a mold so that it is in certain shapes, or place it on a baking sheet/tupperware, and let it jello-ize, then cut into cubes.

OR

"paint" some of the mixture onto the rocks, and let that sit and jello-ize.... once the repashy has turned into jello, you've got rocks with edible goo on it, and your fish will go CRAZY!!!

The best part? The food stays stable for up to 24-48 hours in your tank, so that means, it won't cloud up, or foul your water.

Another great thing? You can "paint" the rocks ahead of time, and store them in the fridge for up to two weeks, or in the freezer (jello form) for up to 6 months! Powdered form will stay safe for...well, pretty much forever (well, I mean, you'll most likely use it all up before it "expires".)

Very Happy

It definitely beats waiting to grow algae on rocks, that's for sure Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-09-17, 13:12

I'll think about those projects for sure Razz Though I'm looking into upgrading my light; however at the moment I see some brown spots on my glass. Is it brown algae and how would I stop them from coming back?
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-09-18, 02:22

Yeah I'm looking to get that green coat on my rocks, but more lush and full. Here are 2 pics of my rocks, they are somewhat brown now and I'm HOPING that they'll turn green =/

SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-09-18, 08:46

How old is the brown? If its a newer tank, just leave the brown and the green with come. When it does, watch your lighting cycle. Too much and everything will be green. Too little and you will get back to no green and more brown. You will find the sweet spot somewhere between 8-12 hours a day depending on how good your lights are.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-09-18, 12:08

The tank is a little under 1 month old and I currently have one T8 17Watt 50/50 Coralife bulb (ballast for 2nd bulb is burnt out) for this 30g tank. I leave it on for roughly 10-12 hours a day (9AM - 7 to 9PM).
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-09-18, 12:46

This pic is of a 10G tank with a florasun T8 bulb 20" on it...this growth looks like moss close up. That is seiryu stone.

and this is rock  in my 125G with the new Current LED Plus light on it...I have a couple of rocks showing this nice green color

Not all rocks in the tank have algae growth so I wonder if it is a matter of rock type and/or reflection from lights in certain areas.  I have noticed though that my basalt rock is the slowest stuff to get any type of algea on it...it just takes forever.  I think rock type makes a difference.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-09-18, 13:14

I like the coloration of your 10g tank's rock, hopefully it'll be a lot more full & lush (which is what I'm aiming for). I agree that rock type is also a factor, probably rock positioning to the light as well since my vertical rocks don't have as much browning on it as the horizontal rocks facing the light directly. Or maybe because they're vertical that diatoms can't attach to them to begin with Razz
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2013-09-21, 23:27

PokeSephiroth wrote:SonicsDC25: another alternative you can do, is ditch the algae project, and use repashy foods, it's this powdered stuff that turns into a jello-like consistency when you add boiling water to it.

Because of that, you can be as creative as you want. You can put the mixture into a mold so that it is in certain shapes, or place it on a baking sheet/tupperware, and let it jello-ize, then cut into cubes.

OR

"paint" some of the mixture onto the rocks, and let that sit and jello-ize.... once the repashy has turned into jello, you've got rocks with edible goo on it, and your fish will go CRAZY!!!

The best part? The food stays stable for up to 24-48 hours in your tank, so that means, it won't cloud up, or foul your water.

Another great thing? You can "paint" the rocks ahead of time, and store them in the fridge for up to two weeks, or in the freezer (jello form) for up to 6 months! Powdered form will stay safe for...well, pretty much forever (well, I mean, you'll most likely use it all up before it "expires".)

Very Happy

It definitely beats waiting to grow algae on rocks, that's for sure Smile
I do this trick,but instead of buying,and shipping repashy,I mix,Pure spirulina powder,with ground NLS pellets,and Gelatin powder. Just add the food ingredients together,boil some water,add gelatin powder to the water,then add that mix to the food mix,Voila!!! food gel.
Granted I just happen to keep the spirulina on hand for my own personal use,so maybe buying the repashy would be easier for others.
Still it's fun making DIY fish food. I also take that same mixture and make cubes,that will just drop in and sink to the bottom. I use those for my Veggie wafers,which is just for me,watching one fish play keep away.Fun.
I will say though while painting rocks with gel food is satisfying,it is a temporary deal. Eventually the food will be gone and you will have to repeat the process. I'm telling you Aufwuchs is the way. I just don't know what I have to do to make it work.
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-21, 23:46

Wouldn't all you would need to do is blast light in the tank & add a source of phosphate? Somehow one would have to be careful not to get green water by balancing the light out but this should turn everything in your tank green...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-22, 00:01

I have a real nice white rock in my 125 that recently started growing green algae on it..... I figured out the cause was the fact that I had left the curtains open in that room for a couple of weeks and the natural light made it happen.  i have since closed the curtains as green algae was not what I was going for in that tank.
Here's my rock with the algae
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-09-25, 13:25

Brown algae seems to be picking up in growth, at least on the 2 same rocks. The rest is still relatively the same. Been cleaning my glass more often as well due to the brown algae build-up O_O

SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-09-25, 18:06

You could always experiment with adding nitrogen and phosphorus to the water? Smile Without any plants that should encourage a decent amount of algae growth. Worst case you'll get a green water bloom, I imagine.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down