bamboo shrimp died

3 posters

Go down

bamboo shrimp died Empty bamboo shrimp died

Post  awungfoo 2013-08-29, 17:10

My bamboo shrimp was active last night and feeding when I ladt saw him. I did do a 30% water change too and this morning, he was dead. Any insight?

awungfoo
Fry

Back to top Go down

bamboo shrimp died Empty Re: bamboo shrimp died

Post  Guest 2013-08-29, 18:43

Did you clean the filters too? If you did, you just killed all the Beneficial Bacteria in the filter with 30% water change. Did you put dechlorinizer (maybe wrong spelling)? I sometimes forget after a few hours. Oops

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-08-29, 18:46

Not with that information.

How long have you had the shrimp?

Where did you get it?

How old is the tank? Is it planted? What else is in the tank?

What are your water water paramters? - PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates, GH and KH if you have them, temperature?

How have you been feeding it? They're filter feeders so unless you're running a very mature tank, some powered foods or target feeding may be required.

Has it been picking at the substrate? This is a sign it's not getting enough food.

Do you have any high flow areas in your tank? Bamboo shrimp prefer high flow.

I know I've asked a lot of questions here, but these may help narrow down cause of death.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-08-29, 18:49

SiRWesDragon wrote:Did you clean the filters too? If you did,  you just killed all the Beneficial Bacteria in the filter with 30% water change. Did you put dechlorinizer (maybe wrong spelling)? I sometimes forget after a few hours. Oops
A 30% water change combined with a filter clean will NOT kill all the beneficial bacteria in the filter, unless you're cleaning it with a disinfectant or something.

I clean my filters whenever I like with tap water (un-chlorinated), often in conjunction with my bi-weekly 50% water changes. I've had no problems with this methodology.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-08-29, 19:00

Aquarium Co-Op wrote:Bacteria preservation(taking out decorations while cleaning, kills bacteria)

Amount of water changes/doing maintenance optimally. Don't change water, service your filters, remove decor etc all on the same day. A "Big cleaning job" is much worse than tackling one of those steps every 3 days for instance.

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-08-29, 19:02

Every cleaning will eliminate some of your BB, but a blanket statement saying that all of someone's BB was killed because they did a 30% water change when they cleaned their filter is just not true.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-08-29, 19:08

Besides which, tons of BB colonize the substrate and other surfaces of a mature tank as well. Unless the tank is really immature or over-stocked, properly cleaning a filter isn't a likely cause of tank disaster.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-08-29, 19:13

pbmax wrote:Every cleaning will eliminate some off your BB, but a blanket statement saying that all of someone's BB was killed because they did a 30% water change when they cleaned their filter is just not true.
Im just repeating what other fishtank ppl like cory from co-op are saying.
Im not arguing. Thanks.Spot On 

Last edited by SiRWesDragon on 2013-08-29, 23:03; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-08-29, 19:41

I tried one of these out for about a week, and then decided that it was too stressful wondering if she was getting enough food. I don't have any insight into why yours may have died, but they do seem to be very prone to stress, as mine would just hide for about 95% of the time I saw her even after being in the tank for a week. I kept worrying she wasn't getting enough food, and I don't want to have to worry about my creatures all the time, so I just took her back to aquarium co-op, Cory was more than happy to take her back.

They look cool when they are happy and fanning, but in my opinion, they are not really a beginners' shrimp. not saying you are a beginner, but I definitely am, and I wish I would have picked a couple amano instead
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-08-29, 19:48

I've had a single bamboo shrimp for years now. I've thought I'd killed it 3 or 4 times, but it always reappears. I've kept it in 3 different tanks, but it seems happiest in my 29g where I have pretty good flow. I leave a magnet cleaner on the glass and it perches underneath it, fanning in the spraybar flow. It's one of the few shrimp I haven't killed yet, strangely enough.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down