Seattle_Aquarist
Anthraxx
earthfish
master chi
15 posters

Go down

Where to buy glass/ Empty Where to buy glass/

Post  master chi 2013-08-11, 21:08

Anybody know a place to purchase cut pieces of glass used to build tanks?

I've had my hands in multiple DIY aquarium projects. Backgrounds,stands,canopies.The next step for me is to build my own tank.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to a plywood tank,I really would love to build my own glass tank. Either way I have had no luck in finding anything online,as far as sources for sheets of glass,other than glasscages,who has emailed me,and said they would not ship them here confused 
I would love to find a local source for these if possible. as always thank you for any and all responses.
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Where to buy glass/ Empty Re: Where to buy glass/

Post  earthfish 2013-08-11, 21:21

If your interested in doing acrylic, There is a place in tacoma that sells Acrylic. I will have to look up the name but Its super cheap if you buy scraps
earthfish
earthfish
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-08-11, 21:30

i would try getting into contact with a couple glass blowing studios and see where they get their colored plate glass (for kiln / bead / mosiac glasswork) either way they all have a supplier and that supplier may have other glass products available.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-08-11, 21:38

master chi wrote:Anybody know a place to purchase cut pieces of glass used to build tanks?

I've had my hands in multiple DIY aquarium projects. Backgrounds,stands,canopies.The next step for me is to build my own tank.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to a plywood tank,I really would love to build my own glass tank. Either way I have had no luck in finding anything online,as far as sources for sheets of glass,other than glasscages,who has emailed me,and said they would not ship them here confused 
I would love to find a local source for these if possible. as always thank you for any and all responses.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I am sure any of these can get glass pains to your spec thicknesses, tempered/non tempered and cut them to your dimensions.

Back to top Go down

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2013-08-11, 22:03

Hi Chad,

I posted to 'airstone' how happy I was with Perkin's Glass and Mirror on Capital Hill; you will need to provide them dimensions and thickness. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aaronfeeney 2013-08-11, 22:27

There is a glass guy in Buckley who can get anything you need, I'll look up his info and post later.
aaronfeeney
aaronfeeney

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2013-08-12, 00:10

Oh sweet!! Thanks everyone for the replies, I'll be looking into those sources very soon. Acrylic would work, I haven't researched how to work with it at all though. So I'll have to do that too!!
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-08-12, 00:18

Seattle_Aquarist wrote:Hi Chad,

I posted to 'airstone' how happy I was with Perkin's Glass and Mirror on Capital Hill; you will need to provide them dimensions and thickness. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Forgot about that one, thanks Roy!

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-08-12, 17:16

Since your in lakewood: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

these guys rock and their prices are on point.
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-08-12, 18:54

Owning an aquarium with thick glass... (210g) All I will say is NEVER again unless, it is acrylic or low iron glass. When you deal with 1/2 thick glass you totally see the green tint it gives off. Spend the money and get good glass for the front panel and you wont regret it.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2013-08-12, 20:19

Addicted2CAs wrote:Since your in lakewood:  http://bbglassco.com/

these guys rock and their prices are on point.
Holy Cow!! thats right down the street. I have never even seen the place,and I live blocks away.. I will be heading there...Today..
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2013-08-12, 20:22

DMD123 wrote:Owning an aquarium with thick glass... (210g) All I will say is NEVER again unless, it is acrylic or low iron glass. When you deal with 1/2 thick glass you totally see the green tint it gives off. Spend the money and get good glass for the front panel and you wont regret it.
Your talking about starphire glass? I will ask if it's available,when doing my search. It has much better clarity. Thanks for reminding me
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  tayntdawg 2013-08-13, 01:33

Taps plastic in Bellevue is a good place to go
tayntdawg
tayntdawg

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-08-13, 10:18

master chi wrote:
DMD123 wrote:Owning an aquarium with thick glass... (210g) All I will say is NEVER again unless, it is acrylic or low iron glass. When you deal with 1/2 thick glass you totally see the green tint it gives off. Spend the money and get good glass for the front panel and you wont regret it.
 Your talking about starphire glass? I will ask if it's available,when doing my search. It has much better clarity. Thanks for reminding me
Ask about it, then check the price tag......and get a second job lol
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2013-08-14, 11:47

TAP plastics is also on the north side of DT Seattle unless they've moved recently.
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2013-09-21, 22:43

Addicted2CAs wrote:
master chi wrote:
Ask about it, then check the price tag......and get a second job lol
I already have as second job. LOL!!

I decided against starphire,even tough I would only need the 1 panel for viewing,it's just too pricey. But I have had some luck in resourcing the Glass. But I haven't checked this thread in a while,and the TAP plastic suggestion is a good one. I don't know if I would be up for all the technical wizardry behind making my own acrylic tank. I will most likely stick to glass. Design wise I've got the idea of doing an 8 foot tank,one I can do some large fish in. While my love for africans says to make this a Hap tank,i can't shake the idea of possibly keeping some American Cichlids in there. Anyone who really knows americans,please feel free to provide possible stocklists for a tank measuring about 8'x2',and about 2 feet tall.
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-22, 00:49

Pics when you decide to build?

I have a pretty peaceful mix in my tank, see my signature. The most aggressive cichlid is the bifa who loves to nip at the red hooks to get a little scale snack. The pearsei is big but peaceful with a ton of personality and very interactive. The midas is easy going but has not peeled so still shows juvie colors and not sure if he is mature yet so aggression may increase. The one thing I have found, the larger the tank the easier it seems to get fish to get along. Then again they all have different personalities so you never know until they get put together.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-22, 00:55

a female festae in breeding dress is really something to take in..... though they can be a bit aggressive.  you should visit madness' house to see his awesome fish at full grown or nearly full grown size.  they are beautiful and that would help with stocking ideas.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2013-09-22, 04:19

Pics,most definitely. Once I get all the materials,I plan on bringing everyone along for the ride.
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Candyman206 2013-10-03, 06:13

Did you ever get your glass? I'm in need of around 60 sqft of 1/2 and can only get down to $720. Trying to beat the $1 per gallon price while building my tank.
Candyman206
Candyman206
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  CMooreCichlids 2013-10-06, 18:56

Awesome information on this thread!

@Candyman206 - What size tank are you building? Is that 60 sq feet for the entire tanks glass?
CMooreCichlids
CMooreCichlids
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Candyman206 2013-10-06, 19:03

Yup all the glass I need, it's a 720
Candyman206
Candyman206
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  asuran 2013-11-29, 23:24

Great Info, I will build my tank in few weeks.Very Happy 

asuran
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2013-11-30, 22:08

How to build Acrylic [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Kel_Tech Plastics near the Tacoma Mall great place to get acrylic. They lazer cut so the edges are damn near flawless!!! They can explain and sell you everythin you need to build a tank. THough I think 12mm is the thickest they keep.....

Did you say 720gal tank? O.o
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2013-12-07, 23:55

If you are still interested in doing a glass tank... I always thought it would be cool to have the rear(maybe the sides too) in stain glass. I mean why pain a backround if you can get the glass in an awesome array of colors. Although I have never seen stain glass thinker then 1/4" so maybe would only work on say a 10gal or something.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick_87 2013-12-08, 00:04

I believe stain glass wouldn't actually hold water since it's made of a bunch of broken pieces of glass glued and soldered together. On a side note I have a 36 gallon bowfront that has a mirror for the back panel and it is a strange tank to look at haha.
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2013-12-08, 00:11

Nick_87 wrote:I believe stain glass wouldn't actually hold water since it's made of a bunch of broken pieces of glass glued and soldered together. On a side note I have a 36 gallon bowfront that has a mirror for the back panel and it is a strange tank to look at haha.
Stain glass "art" is made of cut peices soldered together. but you can buy whole sheets of stain glass. I use to make stain glass candle holders and what not. Its much more expensive then regular glass but just thought it would be awesome to see someone pull off. I guess the real question is if stain glass is tempered(able to withstand the pressure)
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down