3 days into fishless cycle and Nitrate already showing up?

5 posters

Go down

3 days into fishless cycle and Nitrate already showing up? Empty 3 days into fishless cycle and Nitrate already showing up?

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-10, 14:19

I started my fishless cycle 3 days ago (August 7th, 2013) and the water conditions were: 8.0pH, 4.0ppm Ammonia, 0.0ppm Nitrite, & 0.0ppm Nitrate.

I checked my ammonia level 1 day later (August 8th, 2013) and the Ammonia went down to about 2.0ppm, so I added a 2-3 eye drops worth of Ammonia into the tank just to raise it a tad bit.

Then I skipped a day and checked the water conditions this morning (August 10th, 2013) and the water parameters were: 1-2ppm Ammonia, 0.25ppm Nitrite, and 10ppm Nitrate (picture shown below).

Is it normal to see Nitrate and Nitrite this early in the cycle? I used my friend's filter as seed material on my 1st day of the cycle and his water was at 80ppm of Nitrate when I checked his waters yesterday. His filter was only in my tank for about 30 minutes to 1 hour at most. Maybe that's where some of the Nitrate came from (his tank tested 0.0ppm Ammonia and Nitrite); however it wouldn't really explain why my Ammonia level keeps on decreasing and where that Nitrite came from. Any input on this matter would be great!

(Picture of today's water testing 8/10/2013):
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by SonicsDC25 on 2013-08-10, 14:38; edited 1 time in total
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

3 days into fishless cycle and Nitrate already showing up? Empty Re: 3 days into fishless cycle and Nitrate already showing up?

Post  lloyd378 2013-08-10, 14:33

What size is your tank? And which filter are you using.... I can't imagine that filter media that was in his tank for only 1/2 hour would cause these changes in your cycle process, but it could be accelerating it this fast..... Not really sure. Good luck, I'm sure others will have other ideas / thoughts
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

3 days into fishless cycle and Nitrate already showing up? Empty Re: 3 days into fishless cycle and Nitrate already showing up?

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-10, 14:45

The tank is only 31 gallons and the filter is a Marineland Eclipse 3 (picture below of the filter, not my tank Razz), only the Nitrate would've transferred over since his water tested for 0.0ppm Ammonia and Nitrite Shocked 

SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-08-10, 18:40

if you have it extra warm the bacteria will multiply uber fast and do this Smile just a few managing to get sucked into your filter and volia colonization! Hope yours goes better then mine has!! This particular way should work incredibly fast.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-08-10, 19:51

What you have explained to me makes total since. You have introduced the bacteria needed to cycle the tank so if all the bacteria's are seeded then you should see indication on your test kit of the wastes the bacteria's are producing ; Nitrite, and nitrate. So, this is perfect. Your tank is cycling...

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-10, 21:52

@Kara: I have the temperature to 86 degrees ^_^

@theChad: Yeah I'm hoping that it's cycling for sure. The filter I used as seed material actually had a recent fish death (white fuzzy stuff on the side of the fish and fins are all gone), but all of his other fish are fine after checking up on them after a few days now. Wasn't sure if that filter had any real benefit since I was worried about the water containing some kind of parasite or bad bacteria, but hopefully those 30 minutes - 1 hour inside my tank actually did some good? Shocked 
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-12, 18:48

Been 2 days since my last test and the results are down below. The amount of Nitrite and Nitrate BLEW my mind from just 2 days ago and now I'm wondering what to do. Should I continue to keep adding Ammonia till it's 4.0ppm daily until it manages to convert over to Nitrate within 1 day? I've heard that I should keep my Ammonia between 3-5ppm; whereas other guides have said that I only need to add just half of the Ammonia I'm using now until both Ammonia & Nitrite hits 0? Thanks in advance! (Also, it's kind of hard to tell what my pH is, either an 8 or 7.4, what do you guys/gals think?)

SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-08-12, 23:40

looks like a 7.4 I'd run the low ph test cause mine does the same thing lol Crop the ammonia dose in half >> otherwise it will never catch up in the nitrite department.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-12, 23:54

Sure thing, is a PWC necessary to let the Nitrite decrease faster? Or will cutting the ammonia in half (and do I add it everyday or every other day) be enough? Cause the Nitrite is completely off the charts lol
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-08-13, 12:11

Try cutting the dose in half first, it will probably take less time to cycle then doing a water change cheating your filter out of food Smile Add it every day as long as it continues to eat it and not rise to dangerous levels ~8ppm where it's too toxic for the bacteria to live and the cycle dies :/ otherwise you then starve the ammonia eating bacteria and the cycle goes wonky.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-13, 13:22

Thanks Kara! I checked my Ammonia level again this morning out of curiosity and the results that I posted yesterday had completely turned yellow and at 0ppm O_O.. I added 2.5mL of Ammonia (half my normal amount) to bump it back to 2-3ppm ^_^. About the PWC, you said that it's not necessary (other people/articles agree); however there are others/articles that say that it's necessary since high Nitrite levels can stall the cycle process. I'm not sure what to do with these mixed facts Sad
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-08-13, 13:43

XD yeah the ammonia goes FAST when your doing a fishless cycle 0.o just...don't skip days it wonks out the cycle (unless the levels are too high) my poor tank.....
IF they stay high for a long time. what they're talking about is it gets SO high that your tank for some reason can't handle it and it just keeps building and building and basically gets stuck. this early though it should be fine. and you can already see your tank going from nitrite to nitrate. I would do a massive water change when it's Done cycling because of SO much nitrate before putting fish in but it sounds like your cycle is going great!
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-13, 13:49

Awesome thanks, I'll hold off on the PWC till the very end and hopefully the Nitrite will start going down, luckily the Nitrite test only requires 5 drops, cause I keep checking it every 6-8 hours lol
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-08-13, 14:11

lol and I thought I was going to run out doing it every 24h LOL
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-17, 13:44

Day 5 after the gigantic spike in Nitrite (5.0+ppm) and still it remains high Neutral I've never hated the color purple so much right now LMFAO 
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-08-17, 15:53

RIGHT?(and I adore purple) ugh....what's your ammonia doing?
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-17, 19:53

Ammonia is still being converted in under 24 hrs, just a loooong wait for that Nitrite conversion Sad 
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-08-17, 19:56

Good luck then. You sound like your on a good way towards being done. >> I got annoyed with mine and did a giant water change to bring it back into measurable levels and other horkey things because I wasn't in town to feed it...
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-18, 14:16

I just checked my water parameters today and saw that my pH dropped to 6.5 Shocked  My Nitrite is still off the roof and Ammonia is still being converted to Nitrite within 24 hours. Is this drop in pH a concern and if so, how should I fix it to prevent my fishless cycle from stalling? confused 
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-08-18, 23:18

0.o never heard of the ph changing during a cycle unless you have a dirted tank or something else that alters ph in your tank....might have to ask someone else. *the 2.5 spiked through the roof to 8+ due to the dirt* thank goodness nothing was in it so now that gets watched too >> *

I personally got really really frustrated with the nitrite through the roof like that for so long and did a massive water change to fix it(nearly all of it). Still figuring out what my results of that are but watching like a hawk because it now has fish and old filter bio-media - because there is currently nothing in the 30 gal and I don't want to kill the unused filter because I need it w/in the month. Personally would suggest doing a water change to help the bacteria catch up but would definitely get a 2nd opinion too >>
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-08-19, 14:42

The nitrogen cycle produces acid.  Depending on the buffering capacity of your water (KH), you may or may not experience a drop in PH depending on how much nitrogenous waste is being processed in your tank (ammonia, primarily).  The KH of the drinking water supply around here is pretty low - mine is at about 5 dGHKH (community well); City of Lacey water is at about 3.

Adding some floating plants to your tank along with decent lighting to support them will help smooth out the cycle.  Aquatic plant can directly take up nitrogenous waste in all of its forms (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and floating plants are particularly adept at this because they are exposed to the air and not limited by CO2.

Personally, I've only really cycled a tank twice - once with my first tank and once with an amazonia tank and pure R.O. water.  Thanks to eco-complete, my first tank cycled within a week with nothing else added but a few plants.  The rest of my tanks have insta-cycled thanks to plant density and a bit of a kick from some used filter media.  The amazonia tank never did cycle until I added some tap water...woops. Embarassed

Edit: Another oops! I stated my water has GH of about 5 degrees; I meant KH. my GH is at about 4 degrees.

Last edited by pbmax on 2013-08-19, 16:18; edited 1 time in total
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-19, 15:27

I was doing a PWC for my tank to hopefully get my pH up a bit and before I removed roughly 20% of the water, my wife added the water conditioner while I was getting the tap water from the sink. I then removed 20% of the water from the tank and replaced it with the tap water. Right before I was about to add the conditioner, she said she already did it...pale  So since I removed 20% of the water, should I add 20% worth of water conditioner or do I add/less more???
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-08-19, 16:04

If you have no fish then it doesn't matter really. The chlorine will oxidize away in short order if it doesn't off-gas first.

That said, I don't think it matters if you add more water conditioner - you could probably dump the whole bottle into an active tank with fish in it and it wouldn't cause any problems. I don't know this for certain, but I've dumped tons of stress coat into a tank in the past with no discernible negative effect on anything.

You can add some baking soda to keep the PH up if you like (google for dosing). Or a product like Seachem Alkalinity. I'd do this over water changes, personally, especially while cycling.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-19, 16:12

That makes sense since there's no fish, I'll add a tiny bit extra for precautions since I don't want the chlorine killing my bacteria...
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-08-19, 16:20

A little searching found that 1 teaspoon of baking soda will increase KH (carbonate hardness) about 1 degree (17.9ppm) for 50g of water. It helps to know how much your KH is to begin with, but given that your PH is sagging, it wouldn't hurt to add some, then wait, re-measure PH an hour later, and then add more if necessary.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-19, 16:43

Awesome thanks, I'll look into that later on. For now I'm just more worried about any chlorine from the tap water killing off my beneficial bacteria and slowing down my cycle pale 
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-08-19, 16:52

I'm betting that the amount of chlorine introduced into the tank, even if no water treatment was present, would be pretty insubstantial given that you only changed 20% of the water.  Since treatment was present, in slightly under-dosed form, I definitely wouldn't worry.  This means that it's possible 20% of the tap water you poured in wasn't treated.  That means 4% of the total tank volume possibly had a free chlorine level of up to 2 ppm - that's a really small amount of chlorine. Smile

Look at it this way: you don't drink dechlorinator when you drink chlorinated water, right?  Yet somehow your gut bacteria manage to survive. This dosing is far, far lower than that.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-19, 17:47

Well when you put it that way, I'm feeling a lot better. My cycle seemed to have made a ton of progress in a short amount of time and I just didn't want to slow it down in any way.. I've been itching to drive down to The Wet Spot in Portland lol, or Aquarium Paradise in Lakewood since I hear it has a pretty good stock (and requires driving 2.2 hours less lol)
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-20, 13:22

Ok, so I just checked my water parameters this morning and it seems to have been set back big time... After my 20% PWC yesterday, my parameters were: 8.2 pH, 2-3ppm Ammonia, 5.0+ppm Nitrite. This morning, they were: 6? pH (picture below), .5 - 1ppm Ammonia, and 5.0+ Nitrite still. Before the PWC, my Ammonia was converted within 24 hours and this time it didn't. Is it because my pH is too low? My pH crashed as well...Any help would be greatly appreciated!

SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-08-20, 15:01

So your fishless cycle has been going on 2 weeks now. From what I have read in the past, fishless cycles can take more than 30 days to right itself, and that assuming you are on top of things. (which it sounds like you are)

Most people dont have the patients to deal with this type of thing. (myself included Smile ) If it were me I would spend the 15 bucks for fritz's instant bacteria additive. Wait 24 hours, check your params and then add a couple gold fish or cheap fish of whatever you own. Feed them and let them finish the cycle. I guarantee you in less than a week your tank will be ready to start populating.

A fishless cycle can take forever and as you are experiencing, very frustrating.

I personally couldnt deal with what your doing, just my opinion though. Smile

Good luck
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-21, 01:09

I prefer fishless cycle, I don't want to use goldfish as sacrificial pieces lol. I went ahead and put 3 teaspoons of baking soda in and got my pH up to 8.0, will check again tomorrow to see if there's another crash. I'm going to go get a bag of aragonite and putting it on my filter cartridge tomorrow to help keep the pH stable.
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-22, 13:26

Two days ago I put 3 teaspoons of Baking Soda into my 29g tank and last night I put a bag of aragonite and 3 tablespoons of Epsom salt into my tank. This morning I woke up with these parameters, hopefully the cycle will be done before this weekend ^_^ I also dropped by Aquarium Paradise yesterday and they never even heard of a P. Saulosi No  Gonna call back on Friday to see if they got any from their supplier...

SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-23, 13:21

I think it's about time to head down to the LFS and start searching for some Saulosi Very Happy

SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-08-23, 13:56

Nice Smile

I have similar results from my dry start tank (amazonia substrate) which appears to have cycled itself instantly - likely because it's been soggy (if not filled) since feb, building up lots of bacteria. My only issue there is it's gobbling up KH like no tomorrow.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-08-23, 15:20

Yayyy that looks awesome XD
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-23, 18:28

Well, called Aquarium Paradise, The Fish Store, Sierra Fish & Pets, A Place For Pets, Midway Fish & Pets, and Denny's Pet World and none of them had any Saulosi's in stock... pale 
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-08-23, 18:43

It looks like The Wet Spot in Portland has them:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm not sure how well they ship, but $15 is pretty good for next day shipping.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-08-23, 18:46

The Wet Spot has Saulosi, and $15 to ship up here. $7 @ 1.5" and $10 @ 2"
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-08-23, 18:46

Dang pb you beat me to it. Smile
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-23, 18:53

I love Aulonocara Saulosi, but they just get too big for my tank :(Pseudotropheus Saulosi's are the ones I'm aiming for and I don't see them on their list No
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-08-23, 18:59

Doh! I know nothing of cichlids... but I can do a mean find-in-page search Wink
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down