+3
jettej
Madness
CrazedAce
7 posters

Go down

Pleco Treatment - Need Help FAST Empty Pleco Treatment - Need Help FAST

Post  CrazedAce 2013-07-06, 17:59

So a few days ago I noticed one of my juvenile male bristlenose in the community tank had a little bit of pick marks on his tailfin, today I noticed him again:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I immediately removed him to the QT you see him in and dosed with melafix. Is there anything else I can add to increase his chances of surviving? I'm not sure if he had fin rot or was just getting ganged up on. Please, any help will be appreciated! I raised him from my first batch of babies. Sad
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Pleco Treatment - Need Help FAST Empty Re: Pleco Treatment - Need Help FAST

Post  Madness 2013-07-06, 18:29

kinda looks like he was chewed on to me.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  jettej 2013-07-06, 18:52

Pure isolation, less stress, safe water changes at least every other day unless you have a good filtration system.. Melafix is the most med i could think of.
jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

Post  anthony 2013-07-06, 20:40

male bristle noses can be very aggressive to other males. I bought two full grown ones and one basically ate/sucked the other ones whole face off. I dumped them in the tank went out for a few hours when I came home they both had huge sores on them, I separated them, but the one with most of his face missing died from trauma . I thought they were both going to die. I tried to put that same one with a larger royal pleco and he started chasing him everywhere , anyway male bristlenoses can be mean.
anthony
anthony
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-07-06, 21:32

Well I will be treating him like I did my betta, daily 100% water changes, with proper melafix dosing. The only thing I will be leaving out is salt, because unfortunately plecos can't stand it, even though its the best thing for wounds...
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-07-06, 22:21

Why would you do a 100% WC? You just completely annihilated your beneficial bacteria, now your opening up even more issues for your pleco.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-07-07, 04:05

Beneficial bacteria in a 1gal tank with nothing but a clay pot and an airstone is next to nothing. Leaving in old water would be leaving in more negative stuff than positive imo. The little bigger was still alive when I got home. If he survives the next week I will be happy.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-07-07, 13:05

Killing off your good bacteria, thereby making the tank cycle, every day, is not going to help your fish...
Lets say you have an intestinal infection. Do we totally flush your intestinal tract every day, to be sure we got all the bad stuff? And make your intestines waste energy trying to reestablish stasis every day, instead of letting it heal? That's what you're doing to your fishes' environment, while he's trying to heal...

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2013-07-07, 13:22

In a 1 gal QT tank there isn't a need for a cycle. That small of a tank should be ok with daily water changes, might even go as far as to suggest twice daily 50% changes as to keep any ammonia build up during the day low.
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-07-07, 20:55

also.. is he missing an eye? i honestly dont see one in the eye socket showing.. idk if its bad pic quality or what but thought id ask. either way yeah he got chomped on big time, let him heal up as others have suggested and hope for the best. with melafix less is more. ive had it kill off fish before because of "dosing levels" i now do a half dose of w.e is reccomended with pretty much everything and it seems to work. just dont be surprised if it gets a little worse before it gets better. ive had fish "shed" off old damaged scales and fin portions while using melafix to heal them up. either way GL to ya! always stinks losing something you bred and grew out yourself.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2013-07-08, 00:08

from that pic and the amount of damage its best bet would be clove oil...put it down.
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-07-09, 13:20

He ended up dying the next day after I posted. I'm honestly thinking it was fin rot, as his skin and meat had already begun to fall off. He had both of his eyes, the picture was just bad quality.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down