what kind and what sex?

4 posters

Go down

what kind and what sex? Empty what kind and what sex?

Post  fishyladdy 2013-06-11, 19:30

i got these fish from some one who was gonna just flush them. so i saved them. thy couldnt tell me anything about them. not even how old or what kind.. so i thought u guys could help.i know they r blurry but u can kinda get the idea.. [img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
the rainbowish colored one for this one.
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
thanks alot. Smile
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

what kind and what sex? Empty Re: what kind and what sex?

Post  Anthraxx 2013-06-12, 12:47

unfortunately my best guess is that all the mbuna are hybrids, off hand pics 1-2 have some kind of lab mix going on, pictures 3-4 are a male zebra oblique from lake victoria, pics 5-6 id say are some kind of low quality red zebra, and pic 7 id say is a socolofi but its a long shot. you also have a few others in the background of pic 3, a neolamp brichardi and a few OB peacocks.

on a side note: do any of your rocks contain fools gold? a few of those pics sure look like it, if so you need to dump them asap as they can poison your tank.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-06-12, 16:25

no my none of my rocks contain fools gold i made sure. i bought them from a cichlid breeder who told me my old rocks did. is just the rust color coming out in the rock. thank you for them info though. i know what my obs are and i have a male and female breeding pair of Brichardi and i have the female separated because she is holding. thanks again though Smile
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-06-12, 16:46

umm brichardi are substrate spawners. and mean as heck when they get going to boot. id suggest reconsidering them as if it is a pair they may get a little rough on their tankmates.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-06-12, 16:57

ive had them in there sence they were little babies and they have never attacked any of my other fish. and ive had lots of fry from her?
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-06-12, 16:59

ill put her back in there though i guess.
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-06-12, 20:41

Fishladdy, the female brichardi shouldn't be holding eggs; they normally spawn in some type of cave. (The fish in the top left corner of pic 3?) Is that the species you're referring to?
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-06-12, 20:55

yes ive had her for a year now and ive have her spawn 3 time. each time she has held her eggs. i thought that was normal? guess not. my peacocks do so i didnt think and different with my Brichardi. should i take the male out and not let her breed anymore? is it bad for her?
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-06-12, 21:13

Do you have any pictures of her holding?  I don't know if it's bad for her, but it's certainly unusual.  I've never heard of a cave spawner holding eggs. That's why I was wondering if we are talking about a different fish.  Neolamprologus brichardi?
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-06-12, 22:23

yes shes diffidently a brichardi. i got her and my male at a breeder when they were little. they are diffidently Neolamprologus brichardi. they are not hybrids of any sort. i think it could be because she is in with my ob peacocks and she grew up with them and saw them start holding maybe? im not quite sure. i really thought that was natural but i guess not. i dont have pictures shes holding now but shes so moody that if i take a pic she will move as soon as i walk up to take one. i can try tonight but like i said idk if i can get a picture. 
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-06-13, 09:21

No, being kept with the peacocks would not influence them to change their way of reproducing.

It would be great if you could get a picture -- even if it's blurry. I did a little searching and couldn't find any info on brichardi mouthbrooding, so if you have one doing this, it is definitely worth documenting.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anthony 2013-06-13, 10:21

thats a good batch of ff(free fish) .I always liked the zebra ob.not super uncommon but that fish delivers alot of color for just one fish. nice score
anthony
anthony
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-06-13, 15:53

betty, so i tired for an hour last night to get a picture of her. but i have so many rocks in my tank that every time id take the picture she would take off. ill try again today while doing water changes but, shes so bloody spooked all the time.
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down