Lighting and Filters?

4 posters

Go down

Lighting and Filters? Empty Lighting and Filters?

Post  shorty21uw 2010-06-25, 19:04

Hey guys, So I took my aquarium down about 5 years ago and I'm just getting back into wanting to put it up. I have a 29 gal acrylic. I'm wondering if you guys have some suggestions on what is going to be the best filtration system to go with that isn't a million dollars and what kind of lighting I should go with this time. I'm just racking my brain trying to remember what I did the last time but it's been so long. Any suggestions would be awesome!

Lorna

shorty21uw
Fry

Back to top Go down

Lighting and Filters? Empty Re: Lighting and Filters?

Post  lars on 2010-06-25, 19:08

Well heres a cheap start to lighting! (:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Lilfishie on here is the saltwater pro! She can help ya big time and shes pretty darn awesome.
lars on
lars on
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  shorty21uw 2010-06-25, 19:09

Thanks Lars! That's a great start and help!!

shorty21uw
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Gosu 2010-06-25, 19:32

could find a little 10gal or somethin turn it into a sump filter for like 20$
Gosu
Gosu

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-06-26, 02:07

What are you going to keep? Fish only w/live rock? What type of fish? (Some fish eat coral) Soft corals? Stony corals? That is going to determine the lighting you are going to need. Then, overflow to a sump/refugium or a sump and hang on back refugium with protein skimmer is a good way to go. Figure out how big of a tank you want to set up, what you want to keep in it. I'm happy to help you out with suggestions and information for you to get your system set up.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  shorty21 2010-06-26, 02:11

So.... Corals are kind of a second priority to me. I will start with soft since it is my first coral tank when I make it there. I know that soft corals are a little bit more forgiving. To start it will be basic... fish, live rock, anemones... It's a 29 gallon tank. Thanks so much for any ideas that you can give me!!

shorty21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-06-26, 02:16

ill layout some quick options for you, although there are other ways i find these to be the best.

1: refugium with live rock, deep sand bed, and a cheapo skimmer

2: small sump with enough room for a nice skimmer with live rock piled around it

3: a HOB skimmer like the remora aqua C and a small bioload

for lighting, i would go T-5's for cheaper and LEDs for more expensive... even though i have metal halide and i get amazing growth it just gets to hot, so unless you want to make a hood with retro fit MH and cooling fans, i wouldnt go this way.

as for T-5's i wouldnt go under 70 watts and not under $75. there are some exeptions, but that is a common rule. LED's, you can go almost any watt above 20 and you would be looking at around $150-300....

the best option for you would be #1 because i feel that natural filtration always ends up the best in the long run. i would get a aqua C nano remora skimmer ($130) and a cheap 10-20 gallon tank, drill your tank since its acrylic, get a SCWD ( a cool wavemaker) and have a little overflow kit. for the light i would go with a nice T-5 or a LED.

this is just my opinion on what would work best, but as lil said, it really depends on if u want a FOWLR or a reef system

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-06-26, 02:21

this is perfect for hard corals and SPS: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ok found it, perfect for softies, exactly what your looking for, and for the right price also!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-06-26, 02:34

You mentioned anemones. Anemones need more lighting than a compact fluorescent is going to give you. T-5's would be the way to go. I do have a metal halide w/actinic pcs for sale that would set you up for anything. Price out lighting and let me know. I'll pm you info on the light later if your interested.

Like teddyzaper says a sump w/good skimmer and refugium is the way to go.

You will want at least 30lbs of live rock. Try to get it from an established system when your tank is set up and has water in it. It will help accelerate if not completely skip going thru a cycle.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-06-26, 02:45

still, wait for at least 3 weeks before any livestock, even though you may not see the cycle it could start once you add fish.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down