cichlid-gal
CrazedAce
hobbyorobsession
Madness
Lamental Jester
anderson_p_r
10 posters

Go down

A friend roped me back into fish keeping Empty A friend roped me back into fish keeping

Post  anderson_p_r 2013-05-16, 21:55

Howdy all, my name is Pat and I'm in Olympia. A few months back a friend gave me a 10g tank that she didn't know how to take care of and woke the monster in me. That 10g is now a mineralized soil tank, moderately planted, DIY CO2, DIY light hood- in progress, 52w CFL 6500K, ghost shrimp, RCS, oto's, SAE, assorted snails. I also already have a 20g long waiting in the wings with no real concept yet.

I'm excited to get back into the hobby, I haven't had a tank for a few years and this is my first time keeping shrimp. Looking forward to meeting and possibly working with some of you.

anderson_p_r
anderson_p_r

Back to top Go down

A friend roped me back into fish keeping Empty Re: A friend roped me back into fish keeping

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-05-16, 22:59

Allow me to be the first to say....
A friend roped me back into fish keeping Tumblr_lsv55taSXN1qii6tmo1_500_zps62916c24
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

A friend roped me back into fish keeping Empty Re: A friend roped me back into fish keeping

Post  Madness 2013-05-16, 23:00

Welcome aboard... A friend roped me back into fish keeping 742812
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-05-16, 23:55

welcome
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-05-17, 00:13

afro .oOWELCOME!!

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-05-17, 04:29

Welcome! There are quite a few of us in the Olympia area. I have a 10gal with RCS as well, though their tank mates are just a pair of BN plecos. Hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do!
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-05-17, 08:38

Hello and welcome!
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-05-17, 11:59

anderson_p_r wrote:Howdy all, my name is Pat and I'm in Olympia. A few months back a friend gave me a 10g tank that she didn't know how to take care of and woke the monster in me. That 10g is now a mineralized soil tank, moderately planted, DIY CO2, DIY light hood- in progress, 52w CFL 6500K, ghost shrimp, RCS, oto's, SAE, assorted snails. I also already have a 20g long waiting in the wings with no real concept yet.

I'm excited to get back into the hobby, I haven't had a tank for a few years and this is my first time keeping shrimp. Looking forward to meeting and possibly working with some of you.

UH OH planted tank guy! :]

You'll be happy to know there's a lot of us here southbound :O

Can you tell me what you did to the "mineralized soil"

Anyways, welcome!
If you ever want some free floaters or plantlets hit me up lol
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-05-17, 12:58

Welcome to WaFishbox! It's nice to see that you're back in the fish keeping hobby once again! You'll have a blast with all the new possibilities of keeping shrimp. I have some Red Cherry Shrimp in all 5 of my tanks, and they just breed and breed and breed and breed... =P

Share some pictures of your tank(s)!

As for the 20 gallon long, you should definitely do a planted tank with it, with more mineralized soil. Very Happy

Something about Long tanks makes it perfect for plants, IMHO.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  anderson_p_r 2013-05-17, 13:25

I largely followed the directions from a Aquatic Plant Central post made by Aaron Talbot

Works really well. It's best luck I've had with a planted tank, but I've heard of people having odd problems further down the road. We'll see, so far I'm sold on it.

I definitely plan on doing a the 20g as a planted. I have to finish up this 10g first.

I have to wait 7 days to post links, I'll get photos up when that's lifted.
anderson_p_r
anderson_p_r

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-05-17, 13:45

Always glad to see a fellow dirted tank guy Plus One
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-05-17, 15:15

That is a good friend to rope you back into the hobby. Welcome!

DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anderson_p_r 2013-05-17, 16:51

Do you Olympia area folks ever do a get together? A fish keepers pot luck? That could be fun. I know I'm interested in meeting others who enjoy the hobby and picking their brains.
anderson_p_r
anderson_p_r

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-05-17, 21:53

anderson_p_r wrote:Do you Olympia area folks ever do a get together? A fish keepers pot luck? That could be fun. I know I'm interested in meeting others who enjoy the hobby and picking their brains.

There are people around here that carpool up the the GSAS meetings in Seattle, that's the closest thing to a get together as we have. Everyone knows everyone, but I've never seen two other members excluding myself in one area lol. I'm still pretty new myself though.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-05-17, 21:57

I know user pbmax is in Olympia, and BillHN are near Olympia (Lacey I believe).
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-05-22, 10:00

CrazedAce wrote:
anderson_p_r wrote:Do you Olympia area folks ever do a get together? A fish keepers pot luck? That could be fun. I know I'm interested in meeting others who enjoy the hobby and picking their brains.

There are people around here that carpool up the the GSAS meetings in Seattle, that's the closest thing to a get together as we have. Everyone knows everyone, but I've never seen two other members excluding myself in one area lol. I'm still pretty new myself though.
Idk bout meetings (too late at night lol).. but I took a fishboxer / gsas members, and met up with Lj and went to edmonds for a fish adventure last weekend.
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-05-22, 12:57

BillHN wrote: Idk bout meetings (too late at night lol).. but I took a fishboxer / gsas members, and met up with Lj and went to edmonds for a fish adventure last weekend.

Yes, good times! You left out the awesome feast we had in chinatown!

BTW, anderson_p_r, where did you get that pic of me and why are you using it as your avatar? lol Wink
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anderson_p_r 2013-05-22, 13:30

You know, I found that pic a long time ago and I can't remember where. But when I saw it I knew it was a keeper.
anderson_p_r
anderson_p_r

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-05-22, 14:19

Lol, right after I posted I was like "Oh crap, what if that was a serious pic of himself... I'm going to hell"

Well, I'm relieved now
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-05-22, 15:12

I dunno, that's a pretty sweet hat. cyclops
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-05-22, 15:16

Here's an unedited version of the picture. lol
A friend roped me back into fish keeping Tbone-thumbs-up_large

Mike Short aka T-Bone
http://www.muffinmanthemovie.com/cast.htm

Exactly how do I know these things?
Simple.
A friend roped me back into fish keeping 25283645
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-05-22, 15:19

lololol xD
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-05-22, 15:46

pbmax wrote:I dunno, that's a pretty sweet hat. cyclops
It's you, isn't it pbmax Shocked
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anderson_p_r 2013-05-24, 10:25

What does it mean if first thing I want to do when I wake up on my B-day is log on to FishBox and share a pic of my tank now my "probationary" period is over?
 photo MSS_Planted_Tank014.jpg
anderson_p_r
anderson_p_r

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-05-24, 11:27

Lamental Jester wrote:
pbmax wrote:I dunno, that's a pretty sweet hat. cyclops
It's you, isn't it pbmax Shocked

Nah, I could never pull that off. Plus I burn easy so I tend toward boonie hats, like these guys.

A friend roped me back into fish keeping Columbian+MultiCam+Special+Forces
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-05-24, 11:28

anderson_p_r wrote:What does it mean if first thing I want to do when I wake up on my B-day is log on to FishBox and share a pic of my tank now my "probationary" period is over?
 photo MSS_Planted_Tank014.jpg

Your tank looks great! Smile Very green and no visible algae; you have some happy plants.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-05-24, 12:07

pbmax wrote:
Nah, I could never pull that off. Plus I burn easy so I tend toward boonie hats, like these guys.

A friend roped me back into fish keeping Columbian+MultiCam+Special+Forces

A friend roped me back into fish keeping Booniehat_zpsa17ad1bb

anderson_p_r wrote:What does it mean if first thing I want to do when I wake up on my B-day is log on to FishBox and share a pic of my tank now my "probationary" period is over?
It just means you're one of us, abandon all hope Wink

Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down