Potential batch of fry!

4 posters

Go down

Potential batch of fry! Empty Potential batch of fry!

Post  rayancarter 2013-05-09, 12:16

So one of my female albino dragons blood is holding and I have a couple of questions for those of you with experience.
1. What's your favorite way of getting the eggs/fry and what should I put the fry in if I strip her in a week or so since she's been holding almost 2 weeks now.
2. How many fry should I be expecting?
3. What do you guys do with the fry? I'll give my girlfriend some so that she can have a tank while she's at school but do you guys Craigslist them, give them to shops, or would anyone potentially want some?

Again this is my first time and I may end of screwing it up but from videos I've watched it doesn't look complicated and when I looked in her mouth it seemed like she's got 10 or so eggs give or take a few.

I'm excited for this it's almost like I'm gonna be a grandaddy! Smile

rayancarter
Fry

Back to top Go down

Potential batch of fry! Empty Re: Potential batch of fry!

Post  Betty 2013-05-13, 12:53

There are several different ways to do this...

My favorite way is to isolate the female in a holding tank and let her spit naturally. If that's not doable (and there are plenty of times it's not) then I wait until about week three to be sure the fry are well developed and strip the female quickly and put her right back into the tank. There are exceptions to this -- it really depends on the stock and how much aggression is directed at the holder, how she's holding up physically, etc. Sometimes you need to remove her sooner; other times she might need some time to recuperate before going back into the main tank. I strip directly into a breeder box in a 10 gallon tank with no other fish that are big enough to pull the fry out. I keep them in the breeder box for a couple of weeks because it's easier for me to feed them. I know others do it differently. You'll find out through trial and error what works best for you.

It really varies how many fry to expect. I've seen anywhere from three to over 50. Larger, more experienced females will hold more than the young and small ones.

Good luck and congrats. Smile

Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-05-13, 19:09

betty i pretty much do the same thing. i almost always strip tho just because i have no real tank space for females Sad. my method is to wait it out on the one particular female i have my eyes on then as i go tear apart the tank to catch her i will simply take a peek at any others that may be holding. a quick catch and a small "test strip" seems to work pretty well. anyhoo GL with everything, hope it all goes well.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-05-13, 22:49

rayancarter wrote:So one of my female albino dragons blood is holding and I have a couple of questions for those of you with experience.
1. What's your favorite way of getting the eggs/fry and what should I put the fry in if I strip her in a week or so since she's been holding almost 2 weeks now.

I try to let my girls spit naturally. I pull them and put them in a 20G holding tank and wait things out. When the babies are out and about, I remove the mom to another tank for "recovery". I give her at least another week of good food and rest and then return her to the main tank at night, when the lights are out. So far that has worked ok for me.

2. How many fry should I be expecting?

I've had variable numbers. Sometimes lots, sometimes not so many. Just depends ... age makes a difference as I find most of my younger females hold smaller groups.

3. What do you guys do with the fry? I'll give my girlfriend some so that she can have a tank while she's at school but do you guys Craigslist them, give them to shops, or would anyone potentially want some?

My first big spawn had homes waiting for them for the most part. I live in a small town and there are really no local fish stores (LFS is relative to me) to place fish with so I am having to work on my placement options. Doing what I can to meet the requests of those I have contacted. It is a learning experience to say the least.

Again this is my first time and I may end of screwing it up but from videos I've watched it doesn't look complicated and when I looked in her mouth it seemed like she's got 10 or so eggs give or take a few.

I'm excited for this it's almost like I'm gonna be a grandaddy! Smile

It is exciting...every spawn is that way. I have had lots of different fish spawn within the last month or so and it has been fun. Congrats rayancarter and welcome to the world of baby fishes cheers
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down