Anyone ever kept archer fish?

2 posters

Go down

Anyone ever kept archer fish? Empty Anyone ever kept archer fish?

Post  FrontosaDude 2013-03-27, 06:21

Just wondering if anyone has even kept archer fish and what your experiences were. Which species did you keep? Were you able to get them to 'snipe' in captivity? I remember seeing some at Midway a few years back, and still kick myself for not giving them a 'shot' Very Happy . I have a crazy idea to build a bigger version of my chinese water dragon enclosure (which is a hamster cage that I wrapped in wire mesh and rigged it up so that it sits on top of a fish tank), I think it would be awesome to have some archers in a tank with a cage above full of branches and bugs for target practice Laughing
FrontosaDude
FrontosaDude
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever kept archer fish? Empty Re: Anyone ever kept archer fish?

Post  Salzabar 2013-03-27, 08:41

About 15 years ago. 150 gallon tank brackish water when they were young but full salt as adults. beautiful fish and very hardy. They get big,grew to 10 inches and adventually got rehomed into a 300 gallon that my friend has with monos. They like to be in schools so 5 or 6 is a must along with a very big tank.
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  FrontosaDude 2013-03-27, 18:47

Did they spit water in your tank??? Which species did you keep? I've read that not all get big and that some don't grow over 5". I also read that only 2 of the 7 known species live in brackish water, and the rest live in fresh.
FrontosaDude
FrontosaDude
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2013-03-28, 01:53

Toxotes Jaculatrix which most publications state 6 to 7 inches max length but thats bogus info. They do better in salt water as adults. Fresh to brackish fry to about 1 year. I know people who keep them in brackish water but they don't often do well. Yes, spitting out of the water to get a cricket off a branch I had above the tank was really cool. They never missed which is amazing.
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  FrontosaDude 2013-03-28, 02:34

That would be so awesome to watch, who needs tv when you got that lol...so all species migrate to saltwater then when they mature? I was under the impression that Toxotes chatareus and Toxotes jaculatrix were the only full marine species, I thought that many of the other species only stay in full fresh their whole life
FrontosaDude
FrontosaDude
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down