First breeding.

4 posters

Go down

First breeding. Empty First breeding.

Post  Nick_87 2013-03-22, 01:48

I have a group of Metriaclima Aurora (2 males & 6 females) that have spawned a few times now and I have just pulled out the surviving fry hiding in the rocks but today for the first time I saw one of the females holding. I was so excited i had never seen this before. So anyways I have now seperated her from the group and i am guessing she laid yesterday or the day before so whats the best thing to do now? Just wait 2 weeks and let her spit? Also is it ok for her to be with other small fry? The only place i got is my 15 gal grow out with 8-10 other aurora fry @ 3/4"-1" and mollie fry. Thanks in advance. Will post pics soon!
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

First breeding. Empty Re: First breeding.

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2013-03-22, 02:24

Wow congratulation on the frys
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-03-24, 12:02

Where is she now? I like to allow mine to hold and spit naturally. They normally hold anywhere from 21 to 30 days before spitting. A lot of people choose to strip the fry. That's something you can look into, but I prefer not to strip mine unless I really need to.

It's hard to say how she will act with other larger fry. She might not want to release her own fry and hold onto them longer than she needs to or she might hurt the other fry. It's possible that she'd be okay with them, but then the new fry will be in danger of being eaten by those bigger ones once they are released.

Is there any way you can divide the tank so she can have her own space? If not, stripping her and keeping the new fry separated might be the way to go.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-03-24, 21:05

for new breeders or ones where id prefer more growth, i will just let them hold to term and spit or w.e all on their own. sure it sucks to lose fry but ive lost females before from all the stress of stripping and all that. just my two cents but id let nature do its thing this first time. also you HAVE to seperate the fry for at least a cpl of weeks. your existing fry WILL eat them. ive tried time and time again to fit new fry into existing fry tanks and it always ends in disaster
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down