ID me please!

4 posters

Go down

ID me please! Empty ID me please!

Post  Nick_87 2013-03-20, 17:59

I got 3 of these fish along with some aurora and borleyi that came with my tank. The past owner didnt rember what they were. They are 3"-4" now and just starting to get a little orange/green line atop their dorsal fins. I figure their african since they came with the rest of the malawi cichlids but I have look around and cant find anything like them.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks!
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

ID me please! Empty Re: ID me please!

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2013-03-21, 03:04

They look like all females can't really help much with the first and second but the 3rd with the orange fin is a female kandango. Want to sell one of your kandango make?
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  FrontosaDude 2013-03-22, 04:44

They definitely look to be females, but then again I've had some Africans that didn't color up until they were 4"-5" so who knows, sucks that the guy that you bought them from didn't even know the species of this fish he was keeping. Many Africans have that silvery/goldish color when they are females or young males, and without seeing any color or pattern it's hard to say what species they are for sure, my guess is some sort of malawi hap species. On a side note, either you had just fed them before the pic or the previous owner overfed them, their bellys are huge lol!
FrontosaDude
FrontosaDude
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick_87 2013-03-22, 15:09

Haha their bellys are always like that since they were small. They are little piggies though. ON a side note i think i may have found what they are after looking through some pics online. They look alot like female Otopharynx Lithobates. Any thoughts? Wish i had a male Mad
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-03-22, 18:16

theyre not lithobates, im gonna venture a guess at one of the larger species of hap based on the head structure. haps/peacocks are by no means my cup of tea. either way they look like females. if there is any sort of hidden blue hues in them, then they could be males. but atm i doubt it.

@Nick:
i was selling a group of them for awhile... they went to a forum member up in seattle. two males went with that group and he may not have a use for the other? ill try and put u two in touch if possible.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2013-03-22, 18:25

From their body shape and head shape it's most definitely not a lithobate. My best guess is copadichromis borleyi

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  FrontosaDude 2013-03-26, 11:31

Yeah I was basing my hap guess off the head structure too...it may be a while before you are able to actually ID them, sometimes female haps will show a bit of unusual color when they are holding eggs, then you may have an easier time IDing.....to be honest I used to have a pair of electric blue haps and the female had very similar markings with those dots on the side....try googling around for pics of s. fryeri and compare to whats in your tank.
FrontosaDude
FrontosaDude
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum