Flavus -- he's a she!

4 posters

Go down

Flavus -- he's a she! Empty Flavus -- he's a she!

Post  Betty 2013-02-26, 20:13

For years now I thought this was a subdominant male, but two days ago I noticed it was holding!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I've had females show some color when holding, but not during times when they weren't holding. They are normally drab in color with the males being a nice bright yellow and black. The color of this one always being like this and also the somewhat aggressive behavior made me think it was a male. What a surprise to find it holding!
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Flavus -- he's a she! Empty Re: Flavus -- he's a she!

Post  lars on 2013-02-27, 03:57

It was in transition Wink
lars on
lars on
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-02-27, 13:45

Yeah, it sure took its time. Smile

This fish is 5 to 6 years old and has never had babies. I didn't get a good look when I fed this morning, but I don't think it's holding anymore.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-02-27, 14:29

ive heard of certain cichlid species being able to change sex based on the needs within the group.. maybe this is a species with such an adaptation?
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-02-27, 23:16

I've also heard that about changing sex, but find it really hard to believe. I have multiple males and females, so there would be no reason that I can think of to make the change. It's an interesting subject though.

I have two male brevis that have been alone together in a 10 gallon tank for many years as well and I keep hoping that one will decide it's time to become a female. Cool

Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2013-03-15, 15:14

When it comes to breeding the females choose who to spawn with and when.

As much as a male will do his best to persuade a female to choose him,it would seem that in this case you simply have a very selective female on your hands.

Knowing that the female had for some time shown male coloration is an indicator that this female was of the dominant type.

You gotta figure the Males would have,after a while ALMOST given up on trying with her simply because there were easier targets to spawn with.

I've seen that happen too many times with my Labs,and Rusties.

Whichever male it was who became the ''Lucky Guy'' should probably be identified. I

If you wish to have her hold again maybe by simply removing some of the other males she will feel more comfortable spawning with him in the future.
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down