+5
Seattle_Aquarist
Betty
Nobettername
Lamental Jester
haika
9 posters

Go down

just stumbled onto this forum...another GSAS person Empty just stumbled onto this forum...another GSAS person

Post  haika 2013-02-22, 14:02

I found this forum when trying to figure out what was going on with the new fishstores in the North End in early 2013.

I do mostly small tanks although I've tried this and that over the past several decades. I've kept fish since grade school and I'm way past that now. Right now I have about 20 tanks going with the largest being 45g and most are in the 5-10g range. I've got a few guppy strains going right now (black moscow, bluegrass, Japanese blues etc), and wish I had a larger fish room so I could do that properly. I've got honey gouramis (wild-type) that I'm trying to get going....I've spawned and reared fry in the past but sometimes it's hard to find a compatible pair. I've got Sundadanio axelrodi (blue form), Boraras briggitae, and Danio erythromicron colonies and am struggling with finding how to keep crystal red shrimp going. I've kept red cherry shrimp for about 6 years now but these new shrimp are DIFFERENT!

I do all planted tanks, but the plants are more fish furniture than anything else. I want to build a pond outside in the near future but for now I'm keeping goldfish and koi outside in stock tanks (100 - 150g). I have 2 calico ryukin goldfish inside.

I'd love the space to play with some of the smaller gouramis and the Danio-Rasbora group. There are a few barbs I'd like to play with as well. I tend to dislike cichlids and killifish due to their more pugnacious behaviors but I've kept both in the past. If there was a cichlid calling my name these days it would be the very yellow smaller Neolamprologus types (eg. leleupi), maybe some Julies, or some of the Laetacara (which is still Aequidens in my head) like L. curviceps (which I've bred in the past). No kribs for me! And none of the big monster cichlids for me!

I'm active on the GSAS airstone forum and recognize a number of participants here!

Betty G. - north of Seattle

(edited to correct leleupi genus....those silly taxonomists leave me in the dust regularly)

Last edited by haika on 2013-02-22, 19:40; edited 2 times in total

haika
Fry

Back to top Go down

just stumbled onto this forum...another GSAS person Empty Re: just stumbled onto this forum...another GSAS person

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-02-22, 14:18

Allow me to be the first to say Welcome!

Do you have any pics of your tanks?
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

just stumbled onto this forum...another GSAS person Empty Re: just stumbled onto this forum...another GSAS person

Post  haika 2013-02-22, 14:33

Well....I'm really NOT much of a photographer, but I was one of the homes in the 2013 GSAS Home Show and some of my fish/tanks are shown on the GSAS website right now. Those photos are available to non-members.

Because I'm new here, I can't post an external link for 7 days but if you go to the GSAS website, look up at the top under contests, pull down menu should show Home Show and look at the photos with commentary: fifth row down...second photo from left (standing by the outside stocktanks) and ends with my two Siberians running the fence line.

Betty G.

haika
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-02-22, 14:46

.oO Hello, and welcome!

Back to top Go down

Post  haika 2013-02-22, 14:50

Just wanted to note that not all guppy strains in the photos are annotated yet. There are Japanese blues, lemon snakeskin, purple moscow, a see-through strain from ATFG via GSAS members, and bluegrass guppies in the 'show' as well as a wild-type male honey gourami (Colisa chuna unless they've changed the name). I have 4 other guppy strains but I don't think Steev wanted to lay on the rug to try to photograph them since they are on the bottom of the 2-tier stands or snugged into a hard-to-reach corner.

Betty G.

haika
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-02-22, 14:56

Found them, very nice!!!
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Nobettername 2013-02-22, 15:08

Welcome!

Nobettername
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-02-22, 15:13

Hi Betty. Very Happy Although I rarely post on it, I "recognize" you from Airstone. I'm a member of GSAS as well, but being so far south, it's hard for me to make every meeting. I try to get to as many as I can.

I keep lots of cichlids, Malawi and Tangs. If you decide you want any leleupi, I have those. I also keep Julies (Marlieri).

Welcome to the forum!
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  haika 2013-02-22, 16:52

Oh I wish I had a pile of 40g breeders laying around and the space to set them up. Maybe someday. I actually would like to play with some of the calmer/mellower cichlids again, but right now space is an issue and I prefer the gouramis, livebearers, danios, rasboras and, goldfish/koi for now. So, my place is currently a no-cichlid zone.

I forgot my very new group of Boraras urophthalmoides which I picked up on 2/9 at Denny's (Kirkland). I've bred these before and they are easier to find than many of the other Boraras. A few feedings of microworms and they are really sparkly!

I've got a Fluval Flora to set up (probably for the Sundadanios), a 12g Mr. Aqua still in it's box in the garage (probably for the Danio erythromicron), and a Fluval Ebi on the way (if I have any crystal red shrimp left alive by then). But I'm better at picking up new toys than actually setting them up or figuring them out (sigh).

BG

haika
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Nobettername 2013-02-22, 17:19

haika wrote:Oh I wish I had a pile of 40g breeders laying around and the space to set them up. Maybe someday. I actually would like to play with some of the calmer/mellower cichlids again, but right now space is an issue and I prefer the gouramis, livebearers, danios, rasboras and, goldfish/koi for now. So, my place is currently a no-cichlid zone.

I forgot my very new group of Boraras urophthalmoides which I picked up on 2/9 at Denny's (Kirkland). I've bred these before and they are easier to find than many of the other Boraras. A few feedings of microworms and they are really sparkly!

I've got a Fluval Flora to set up (probably for the Sundadanios), a 12g Mr. Aqua still in it's box in the garage (probably for the Danio erythromicron), and a Fluval Ebi on the way (if I have any crystal red shrimp left alive by then).

"""""But I'm better at picking up new toys than actually setting them up or figuring them out (sigh). """"

BG

Lol I know the feeling

Nobettername
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2013-02-22, 19:04

Hi Betty,

Yes, there are several GSAS members lurking here! lol

-Roy
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-02-22, 21:13

Hello...we are new to GSAS and just joined. We'll be attending our first meeting this coming month. Looking forward to meeting a few of you there.

WELCOME!
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2013-02-23, 14:14

Hi Betty G., Welcome!

GSAS member myself and a regular on this site. I live in SE Snohomish and Clearview is 5 minutes away from me so if you ever need anything just send me a PM.

Paul S.
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2013-02-24, 13:28

Hi Betty,
Great to see you here. Looking forward to your input from time to time! I'm sitting here looking at my 5 nano tanks I have set up here now and realy appreciate your inspiration! The CPDs are doing ''the dance'' over some java moss on a LOG, and the dwarf neon barbs are having a feast diving into the moss! The killis in the tank beside them are growing out. The 3rd 5g in the row is loaded with Java moss, fissidens, wassertang, and frogbit, and it's ready for whatever catches my fancy. Got any brigattae to share?

Linda's Mr. Aqua 12G is in lame condition after our move, and it will be the focus of my attention later this week.

The Fluval Edge has the little shellies in it and the landscape changes DAILY...!
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-02-24, 18:55

Welcome ,
Fellow gsas'r here.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  haika 2013-02-26, 16:33

For those with an interest, the public video bit showing my place in the 2013 GSAS Home Show was just put up. I can't post a link yet but go to the GSAS website, look at the top bar and click on Resources, then free on-line videos....there are 2 albums there. One is for a really great 6-part series on rehabbing an old tank and the other is the 2013 Home Show. Look for a goldfish head photo for my part....that's one of my calico ryukins.

I learned so much from participating in this event. Things like: even when you have been scrubbing tanks walls for weeks, algae shows up in the filming that I didn't even know was there (sigh). And my tanks are relatively low tech so I rely on shrimp to do a lot of the work. Oh well....the fish seem to like it.

Shango's part in the Home Show should be showing up soon. I see he also recently 'discovered' this forum (waving to Shango....)

I hope the next time I enter a Home Show it won't be winter! Then I won't have tender plants wintering inside all over the place and flannel sheets covering a bunch of my outside stuff. At least now (as of mid-February) my big silver dollar eucalyptus is outside (whew).

Betty G.

haika
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2013-02-26, 18:48

where are you Shango?
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-02-26, 19:19

Here's the link to the video -- GSAS Home Show 2012 Video Bite #3.

Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down