Who wants to play-NAME THAT APISTOGRAMMA II ?!

2 posters

Go down

Who wants to play-NAME THAT APISTOGRAMMA II ?! Empty Who wants to play-NAME THAT APISTOGRAMMA II ?!

Post  Guest 2013-02-05, 23:40

This month was big on- "Hey, what's this species?", with a "I don't know" answer...
I'm working on a planted dwarf predator/ Dwarf NW cichlid tank. I get ecstatic when I bump into adults because of the 0 grow out time....

What do you think? There are 100's of species. I even have 2 females of the same species. They are gray with black vertical strips and tiny. they are housed in my grow out tank. I don't know what the females color out to when breeding...yet

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This 3rd picture has both my no name Apisto's. the one for this post is on the right.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Again, any input appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Who wants to play-NAME THAT APISTOGRAMMA II ?! Empty Re: Who wants to play-NAME THAT APISTOGRAMMA II ?!

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-02-06, 01:58

Apistogramma Barlowi. Mouthbrooder.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Who wants to play-NAME THAT APISTOGRAMMA II ?! Empty Re: Who wants to play-NAME THAT APISTOGRAMMA II ?!

Post  Guest 2013-02-06, 08:59

Aquarium Co-Op wrote:Apistogramma Barlowi. Mouthbrooder.

I just read that coloration isn't the only way to identify Apistogramma. The reading went on to say that a single species can have many different color variations. Things to consider are body shape , head shape, all the little markings, fin shape, ECT...
Seems like Apisto just got more complicated , but I think this actually is a useful tool once I learn the 3-4 main genius, then begin matching markings I'll be able to identify easier.... Interesting....

Like Apisto Barlowi, there are a few websites showing at lest 3 different color variations.

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-02-06, 14:35

Well it could be some other varient. I just know what people are breeding here in Washington and barlowi is prevalent at the moment.

It really stems the conversation that it'll never be identified since it's lost what it was from the breeder to your tank. That problem falls on the store. Either they didn't write the name down or whoever they got it from didn't remember. I'd say appreciate it for what it is, a beautiful fish. If it mouthbroods on you, you'll be able to identify it.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-02-06, 15:04

Aquarium Co-Op wrote:Well it could be some other varient. I just know what people are breeding here in Washington and barlowi is prevalent at the moment.

It really stems the conversation that it'll never be identified since it's lost what it was from the breeder to your tank. That problem falls on the store. Either they didn't write the name down or whoever they got it from didn't remember. I'd say appreciate it for what it is, a beautiful fish. If it mouthbroods on you, you'll be able to identify it.

One of my favorite fish are Apistogramma. I purchased this fish + 2 females at a store called Conway pet Wink

Everytime I write up a post I learn something new.

Thanks Cory!

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-02-06, 15:07

If that's the case I'm about 99% those are the Barlowi. As I got them from a friend for a breeder in Bellingham that sells to Conway. I was no longer working there when those came in but I can tell you that apistos were rare at Conway while I worked there and I would put money that they are Barlowi.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-02-06, 15:16

Aquarium Co-Op wrote:If that's the case I'm about 99% those are the Barlowi. As I got them from a friend for a breeder in Bellingham that sells to Conway. I was no longer working there when those came in but I can tell you that apistos were rare at Conway while I worked there and I would put money that they are Barlowi.

Nice! 1 species 99% identified, 1 to go.

Thanks again!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-03-06, 01:30

I have a female that I purchased with this male. I just put them in the same tank. I was growing her out a bit before putting her in my 140 due to predation. Now a couple days later the male and female have found each other (out of 5 males of different apisto species). She's found a home and is very protective and violently territorial towards all males except 1. Needless to say she colored up. When she did so she exhibited markings I've never seen on a apisto female.
I Bing searched "female apistogrammas" and found a match. The website also had a male and he looks exactly like the male I have...

Apistogramma baenschi A188
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by theChad on 2013-03-06, 08:35; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2013-03-06, 01:41

The baenschi are neat little fish
I lost 6 of them that I was growing out
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down