HELP Siamese Algae Eaters succumbing to CO2?

2 posters

Go down

HELP Siamese Algae Eaters succumbing to CO2? Empty HELP Siamese Algae Eaters succumbing to CO2?

Post  CherokeeNative 2013-01-26, 18:03

I need help...I have a 55L planted aquarium with neons, a beta and 1 CPO. Purchaed 2 SAEs today, acclimated them with a drip line and after about three hours of changing out the water and dripping more, I finally put them into the tank. They immediately started gasping for air at the top and when finally exhausted sank to the bottom upside down. I took them out and put them in a holding jar with the same aquarium water and an air hose. They appear to be doing a little better, but I just did this, so don't know what the outcome will be. How am I going to reintroduce them back to the tank if they survive. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks All

CherokeeNative
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

HELP Siamese Algae Eaters succumbing to CO2? Empty Re: HELP Siamese Algae Eaters succumbing to CO2?

Post  Gizmo 2013-01-28, 13:31

Drip acclimate them VERY slowly. You can also get one of those breeder nets/boxes that floats near the surface and keep them in that for awhile.

Otherwise, you could always turn down your CO2 for a few days...
Gizmo
Gizmo
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

HELP Siamese Algae Eaters succumbing to CO2? Empty Re: HELP Siamese Algae Eaters succumbing to CO2?

Post  Guest 2013-02-03, 11:17

Hello Cherokee,

I know how this thread got by me. This is odd to me. I blast CO2 in my tanks and didn't have issue putting in new SAEs in. I acclimate by just mixing 50/50 of the water and floating the bag for 20 minutes. It could be the CO2 I guess, but I would also wonder just how much different your water parameters are from that of the holding tank of were the fish came from. Ph, hardness, nitrates, and temp, these all play a part. Is your water parameters within spec of this fishes profile,(im sure it is im just trouble shooting here)?

I know this thread is a week old now. I hope your SAEs pulled through!
"Siamese algae eaters accept a wide variety of water conditions but neutral to slightly acidic water is preferred even if they tolerate pH 5.5-8.0. The recommended temperature is between 75 and 79˚F / 24 and 26˚C. Don’t keep this species in very hard water. They prefer well circulated clean water. It is recommended to oxygenate the water as they like oxygen rich water."
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down