Anyone ever raise a pair of Parachromis dovii ?

3 posters

Go down

Anyone ever raise a pair of Parachromis dovii ? Empty Anyone ever raise a pair of Parachromis dovii ?

Post  Guest 2012-12-19, 01:27

About a year to 18 months ago I was checking out a magnificent pair of fish. At about 16-20 inches the male was a light spotted turquoise and was "just beginning to color up". Turned out this pair was Parachromis dovii. I've read a bit about these fish and turns out they are monster fish with monster housing needs.

If I was to raise a pair of these fish through adulthood what would be a comfortable sized tank for two adults?
Any special needs? Tricks to pair off the male and female?

I've read a couple stories about this fish breaking aquariums. Any truth to this? Any other dangers or cautions?

Any experienced input would be appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever raise a pair of Parachromis dovii ? Empty Re: Anyone ever raise a pair of Parachromis dovii ?

Post  lloyd378 2012-12-19, 01:43

PM madness, he has a pair of breeders right now, and his male is an absolute beast at like 20". not to mention he is absolutely beautiful with the bright blues. i know he had posted them for sale a while ago, he might have some pics on here. but definitely PM him, he has a wealth of knowledge!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever raise a pair of Parachromis dovii ? Empty Re: Anyone ever raise a pair of Parachromis dovii ?

Post  Madness 2012-12-19, 02:22

My Dovii started out in a 75, then a 120, then 135 and now are in a 210. They need a larger tank than that, that is why I am looking to move them. Even though I love them, I have other interests at the moment, that are taking up all of my larger tanks.

As for getting a pair, it is just a waiting game. Same as other cichlids. Just lots of patience.

They are a wonderful fish, with tons of personality and are very strong and smart. Yes they are known as glass breakers.

Here are mine:https://wafishbox.forumotion.com/t4534-wc-dovii-spawning
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-12-19, 11:37

Thanks guys for the input. Im looking into one of those "room divider" tanks. I seen one on here on another post. When I had my home built I had them beef up the floor to hold more than a ton of weight.

I'm thinking of something in the 260-350 gallon range then housing a large cichlid species. Would this be enough water volume to home a large species like Dovii into adulthood?

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-12-19, 11:42

Water volume is important but so is the footprint of the tank. With dovii I would want a tank at least 30" wide for their comfort.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-12-19, 14:50

DMD123 wrote:Water volume is important but so is the footprint of the tank. With dovii I would want a tank at least 30" wide for their comfort.

Correct. A 6'x3' footprint will work great, but an 8'x3' would be even better. If I was able to acquire the 486 gal tank that I have been eyeballing, I would stick my Dovii in my Marineland 300, 6X3x27". Who knows maybe sometime here soon.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down