Good morning! Just moved to WA, looking for fellow aquarists!

+5
DMD123
Seattle_Aquarist
Gryphon
Zerc
Gizmo
9 posters

Go down

Good morning! Just moved to WA, looking for fellow aquarists! Empty Good morning! Just moved to WA, looking for fellow aquarists!

Post  Gizmo 2012-09-18, 11:13

Hello!

Just moved here in May with my gf, living in Silverdale, and 2 months ago set up a ten gallon freshwater planted tank. AC50, Marineland Stealth 50W heater, BeamWorks 5W LED fixture (low light), full glass hood, mopani driftwood, java fern, java moss, anubias, willow hygro, anachris, ludwigia repens, camboba, dwarf sag. I have ten cardinal tetras who have been battling the worst case of Ich I've ever experienced, and one male fancy guppy my girlfriend got that I've had to quarantine for the last week in a (hopefully final) medication regime using Kordon Rid-Ich Plus.

I've been a member of TPT and The Aquarium Forum for 3 years, and a local forum in Utah, where I'm from. A friend suggested this forum the other night while we were browsing the fish section in PetsMart. Glad to find such an awesome place!

I'll be posting a WTB for some RCS, once the meds have been successfully removed and the tank has had some time to recover.

Looking forward to making new friends! Smile
Gizmo
Gizmo
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Good morning! Just moved to WA, looking for fellow aquarists! Empty Re: Good morning! Just moved to WA, looking for fellow aquarists!

Post  Zerc 2012-09-18, 11:23

ich? add salt = dead ich.
(make sure it is aquarium safe salt)

welcome!

Welcome!
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Good morning! Just moved to WA, looking for fellow aquarists! Empty Re: Good morning! Just moved to WA, looking for fellow aquarists!

Post  Gizmo 2012-09-18, 11:40

Zerc,

Good to hear from you! I've tried five different medication regimes, the last two seemed to be effective, but the final ended up zapping it (I hope). Here's the history....

1st med regime: Treated with API Melafix, heat, salt, and UV sterilizer (ineffective)

2nd med regime: Treated with API Super Ich Cure, heat, salt, UV sterilizer (ineffective)

3rd med regime: Treated with Melafix AND Super Ich Cure, heat, salt, and UV sterilizer (even more ineffective, and nearly killed my fish).

Found out the UV sterilizer was zapping my meds and making the tank hostile without actually killing the Ich

4th regime: Heat, salt, UV sterilizer (marginally effective)

5th med regime: Kordon Rid-Ich Plus, 25% daily PWC's (completely effective)

Hopefully got rid of it! If it comes back, I'm boiling my driftwood, cleaning and boiling my substrate, doing a salt dip with my plants, quarantining and medicating my fish, and re-cycling the tank. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that though!
Gizmo
Gizmo
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2012-09-18, 11:48

Turn your heater up to 82F and add an airstone to keep the oxygen up in the water. Do 50% water changes daily. Keep the temp up for 10 days after your fish are clean of the parasite.

By turning the heat it speeds up the ich parasite's life cycle, and by doing the water changes it helps clear out the free floating ones.

Edit: Also, Welcome aboard!
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2012-09-18, 12:02

Hi Gizmo,

Always pleased to welcome a TPT member to the Seattle area!

Greater Seattle Aquarium Society - GSAS.org

October 9 Meeting: Waylon Pon- Freshwater Shrimp For Dummies

Keeping freshwater shrimps is becoming the fastest growing segment of the tropical fish hobby. Freshwater shrimps are colorful, can be kept by themselves, or as a part of a nano community tank. They have very modest requirements and can be bred successfully in home aquariums. However, they can be delicate if certain basic requirements are not attended to. The learning curve can be steep and expensive. Waylon has been keeping and breeding shrimps for several years. He will summarize his successes as well as scars to help you enjoy your journey with shrimps.

Waylon has seen his hobby grown substantially during the past few years. Last year, he built a fishroom from the ground up and now operates over 40 aquariums totaling over 1,000 gallons. While he loves breeding many types of tropical fish, he specializes in corydoras and many varieties of freshwater shrimps.

Back in our usual meeting place of Otto-Miller 109. As always, after the main talk will be our mini-auction.

Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gizmo 2012-09-18, 12:14

Gryphon,

Thanks for the advice. I had a bubbler running the whole time throughout my medication regimes.

Roy,

I just joined GSAS last month. I was going to attend last weekend's meeting, but my gf's mom came into town so we got sidetracked. I'll try and make the meeting next month!
Gizmo
Gizmo
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-09-18, 12:19

Welcome!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-09-18, 12:42

Gizmo wrote:Zerc,

Good to hear from you! I've tried five different medication regimes, the last two seemed to be effective, but the final ended up zapping it (I hope). Here's the history....

1st med regime: Treated with API Melafix, heat, salt, and UV sterilizer (ineffective)

2nd med regime: Treated with API Super Ich Cure, heat, salt, UV sterilizer (ineffective)

3rd med regime: Treated with Melafix AND Super Ich Cure, heat, salt, and UV sterilizer (even more ineffective, and nearly killed my fish).

Found out the UV sterilizer was zapping my meds and making the tank hostile without actually killing the Ich

4th regime: Heat, salt, UV sterilizer (marginally effective)

5th med regime: Kordon Rid-Ich Plus, 25% daily PWC's (completely effective)

Hopefully got rid of it! If it comes back, I'm boiling my driftwood, cleaning and boiling my substrate, doing a salt dip with my plants, quarantining and medicating my fish, and re-cycling the tank. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that though!

Looks like you found out what you were doing wrong. Always turn off the UV when medicating. Ich has a cycle that they go through which can last up to 45 days or more. When you bump the heat up to around 84 or so, it speeds that cycle up, and it can be complete within 2 weeks some times sooner. Daily water changes and gravel vacs are a necessity. But it looks like you have it under control now.

And Welcome. Very Happy
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2012-09-18, 13:10

Hi Gizmo! Welcome to WAFishbox! You wouldn't happen to be the guy I talked to at Petsmart (re: Red Cherry Shrimp)?

If so, great that you're here! Smile

It's nice knowing other local people within Kitsap!

I ended up buying more otos for my RCS tank, I just can't get enough of em! hehe
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2012-09-18, 13:11

Gizmo wrote:Gryphon,

Thanks for the advice. I had a bubbler running the whole time throughout my medication regimes.

Roy,

I just joined GSAS last month. I was going to attend last weekend's meeting, but my gf's mom came into town so we got sidetracked. I'll try and make the meeting next month!

Hi Gryphon,

I'm glad to hear you are a GSAS member, we have several Fishbox and GSAS members 'on the peninsula'; Sorry you missed Christel Kasselmann but I think there may be a video members can check out from our library. I thought the freshwater shrimp breeder speaker might be of interest to you. Hope to see you next month!
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gizmo 2012-09-18, 13:18

PokeSephiroth wrote:Hi Gizmo! Welcome to WAFishbox! You wouldn't happen to be the guy I talked to at Petsmart (re: Red Cherry Shrimp)?

I do believe I am! Good to meet you Smile
Gizmo
Gizmo
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2012-09-18, 13:25

Ah hah! Smile Welcome aboard! I'm also still pretty new here... only been a member for several months, give or take.

Woohoo, more Kitsap Fish Buddies!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick_87 2012-09-18, 19:02

Welcome! Good to have another member in kitsap!
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  tayntdawg 2012-09-21, 17:25

Welcome man!!! Great to have ya
tayntdawg
tayntdawg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down