NEED MOVING TIPS!

4 posters

Go down

NEED MOVING TIPS! Empty NEED MOVING TIPS!

Post  Will I am 2012-07-03, 22:28

I'm moving this weekend. My main concern is my new pair of H. Fasciatus. I'll be moving a 75 and 50g tank. What's the best method of transportation for the fish? How long do have before my BB starts dying?

New place is about 2-3 miles away. I was thinking of taking that huge piece of driftwood, all the big rocks. Leaving about 1/5-1/6 of the tank filled with water. Putting all the fish in a bucket. Saving about 5-6, 5 gallon water bottles with tank water. Stop the canister, break down tank. Throw everything in the back of a truck. Speed to new place. Setup tank, poor all the saved tank water in (25-30g), add rocks and driftwood back, throw water conditioner into the tank, fill rest of tank up with tap water, add fish.

Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Will I am
Will I am

Back to top Go down

NEED MOVING TIPS! Empty Re: NEED MOVING TIPS!

Post  Gryphon 2012-07-03, 22:31

Get some battery powered air pumps, put your media with a pump in one buck of water, your fish in another with a pump.
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Will I am 2012-07-03, 22:49

You don't the the BB will survive 30min?
Will I am
Will I am

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2012-07-03, 22:51

I believe I read somewhere they start to die 10-15 minutes after water flow stops. The battery powered air pumps would keep that from happening, and are cheap.
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Will I am 2012-07-03, 22:54

Where you get those from?
Will I am
Will I am

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2012-07-03, 22:59

Online, or in LFS. Seeing you're in Auburn, might swing up to Petco or Petsmart in Fed way and see if they have any. If they don't I would try APFP in Burien or Midway Pets in Kent
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-07-04, 00:36

OK, I think that you may be over-reacting. You say that your new place is only a couple miles away? Fill up a few buckets with tank water, put tank ornaments in these buckets. Put fish in another bucket. I would NOT transport the tank with any water in it. I have seen many a people do this and when the tank is moved with the water the twisting and flexing of the tank during the transfer, has caused the seals to weaken and leak.

You have plenty of time. Dont sweat it, just be efficient, and get it done as quickly as possible. I would keep the fish in a separate container until the tank in its new location is up to temp. Cause you should not, fill your tank back up with water from your hot water tank. It should be filled with cold water and the water that is in the buckets. And let the heater bring it to temp. You will not kill your BB, everything will be fine.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlidlovers98513 2012-07-04, 03:59

One good place to get a battery powered air pump is Cabelas...we got one for 20.00 and works fine for moving.. clips to the side of the bucket just fine.. they have more powerful ones too.. but the cheapest is 20.00... You can find it in the fishing section.. were all the bait storage is for live traps... Very Happy
cichlidlovers98513
cichlidlovers98513
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Will I am 2012-07-07, 03:43

Move was successful. Thanks everyone for all the tips!
Will I am
Will I am

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down