My community tank.

4 posters

Go down

My community tank. Empty My community tank.

Post  Ratlova30 2012-04-06, 06:53

This tank is a divided community tank. One side for adult fish and the other for fry and plant eating briggs. The fry side may house a pea puffer if I can find one at apfp and the snails and fry will be moved to a 20gal. The flame tetras will hopefully be going this weekend. This tank just had an overhaul and the substrates were switched so it isn't as densely planted as it was before. Top of the tank is completely covered with floating plants, Took the pics after a water change, and I usually scoop them out temporarily to make things easier.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

My community tank. Empty Re: My community tank.

Post  Kaosu 2012-04-07, 04:19

what no love for this?!!?!

..its cuz its not cichlids Sad

I love the colors!!

Im not normally a fan of the non natural substrate but i really like this with the plants and colors of the fish ^_^.
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-04-07, 04:37

Thanks for sharin' the love lol!

I have black sand in most of my tanks. I bought 200lbs. off someone on CL for $20! The fry side was heavily planted with sprite and the snails ate it all. Trying guppy grass in there right now but they started to pull that down as well, little stinkers!

Thanks for comment!
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-04-07, 10:40

Kaosu wrote:what no love for this?!!?!

..its cuz its not cichlids Sad

Hey some of us have more than cichlids. Ive been pretty busy so I havnt got to getting comments up on everything yet.

Fisrt I have to say: Nice! Spot On

Ratlova knows me for the Spot On thumbs up, then she one ups me on them Spot On Spot On Spot On Spot On Spot On

I do like the mix of colorful fish, live plants, snails. Feels like a slice of nature. I would love to try live plants but..... I'm too lazy and I have silver dollars and a flagtail who would eat them. Keep up the good work, the fish and tank are looking good! Spot On (And one for the road Spot On )
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-04-07, 14:27

That thumb makes me so angry every time I see it now, I just want to murder it Violent

bom Thanks for the comment ROFL
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-04-07, 15:09

So no more Spot On

How about Woot Woot or this Clapping ?

nanana
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-04-09, 05:39

You are just bent on turning me against the smiley's aren't you Exclamation I don't like these mind games Exclamation

I wonder if Dr. Frasier Crane has time to see me early Laughing

Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-04-09, 10:46

OK no more!

So you got the pea puffers and you will have them in the tank soon. Are they being used to keep the population of live bearers and snails down?

I have wanted to try out puffers one of these days but have held back due to the whole keeping their beak/teeth in check with hard type foods. Not quite sure what to feed and where to get a regular supply. Plus the thought of having to catch some of the puffers and cutting down the teeth seems to be more work than I want.

Not that I wont ever own a puffer but I would like more experiences from actual owners. So let us know how the puffers work out.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaman95 2012-04-09, 10:52

Plus One i love how they look but ive heard horror stories let us know how it works because my gf really wants one but i wont get anything i know absolutely nothing about except amazing looking
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-04-09, 10:56

I would love to try a bigger puffer like a Fahaka. They are so interesting to watch or should I say when they watch you. They are very aware of whats going on around them. I have considered a Mekong or Congo puffer also but they are ambush predators and are pretty much lumps that sit there and do nothing the rest of the time.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-04-09, 10:59

Spot On Spot On Spot On Spot On Spot On

I got the puffers just because I've always wanted them and never had seen them available here, only green spotted which are brackish. I won't be feeding them my mystery snails or trumpets or fry to them but whenever I can get my hands on bladder/ramshorn snails they can eat them. Despite them being tiny babies right now, one ramshorn has already fallen victim to them. It's been a long while since I've read up on them, but if I can remember correctly these guys you don't normally have to file their beaks down. I'll have to check on that though, but I'm pretty sure you don't need to. Kaosu would most likely be able to answer that for you. She has a couple of male pea puffers.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-04-10, 00:21

D- Found a good article.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I was right they don't need their beaks files. If your betta tank is empty one day one of these guys would fit perfectly, and they're very active.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down