Awesome Site!!

3 posters

Go down

Awesome Site!! Empty Awesome Site!!

Post  alyssaesk 2012-02-14, 08:53

Just found this site a little while ago and then was convinced a few weeks later to start a membership by a few breeders we know that are members here. Very impressed so far and happy its a local site! Very Happy

We have some beautiful aggressive cichlids with crazy unique personalities!

We current;y have...
16" (Male?) Flowerhorn or Trimac (I have had "for sure" arguments of both from various people)
I'm on the fence... There are good justifications for either one.

7" Female Carpintis "Texas" that is super camera shy

9" Female Dovii "Wolf"

5 1/2" Male Red Devil (getting white on belly now... looks like flames)

4" Male Jack Dempsey (our first fish)

4" Male Carpintis "Texas" (no pictures yet... I think its a texas thing lol)

4" Purple Blood Parrot (My Sweetheart! I have had thoughts of her being a King Kong possibly but I go back and forth)

3" Male Firemouth (Too fast for his own good!)

2" Female Firemouth (Even faster)

3" Lifalil Jewel... (Enough said if you have ever owned one!)

4" Male Pink Convict (My bf bought him at aquarium paradise as a red devil midas hybrid but his a banger)

2 1/2" Breeding Pair of Convicts (They are a**holes! Simply no other word to describe them)

2" Breeding Pair of Kribensis (For color)

1" Baby RTM's Tank
1" Baby Dovii's Tank
2-4" Dempsey Tank (Golds and Blue Genes)

I recently sold a pair of oscars (they eat so much!), a breeding pair of green terrors (too docile for any community tanks I have), 5" female jaguar, assorted africans, jewels and kribs.

Aquarium Paridise has DON KING... 18" Tiger Oscar of mine and a 16" Pleco that I simply had no room for...

We really want some red terrors and more blood parrots!
Tell me what you think!!
alyssaesk
alyssaesk
Fry

Back to top Go down

Awesome Site!! Empty Re: Awesome Site!!

Post  Jantilla 2012-02-14, 14:04

What did you feed your oscar? I have two and it would be great if they made it to 18 inches.
Jantilla
Jantilla

Back to top Go down

Post  alyssaesk 2012-02-14, 19:08

I breed guppies for feeders and at about 4" started feeding one every 3-4 days and the bigger he got the bigger they got or the more i would give him at a time. I had him for so long that I could tell whether he was still hungry or not Smile Between days he got hikari gold large pellets, blood worms(i stopped these as he got older cause i read some different reviews), brine shrimp, peas, and lettace (he loved the kind you make ceasar salad with)... I always did 3 min of feeding and usually once when i woke up and once before bed...
alyssaesk
alyssaesk
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Jantilla 2012-02-14, 20:51

I feed mine the pellets as well as shrimp and krill. I'm not really wanting to do feeders.
Jantilla
Jantilla

Back to top Go down

Post  alyssaesk 2012-02-14, 21:44

DON'T DO GOLDFISH FEEDERS EVER!!!!!!!
Most fish stores don't have heated goldfish tanks and they can develop diseases that can transfer to your Oscar or any other fish. This is why i breed guppies or mollies for feeders... I know where they have been and how they have been raised since birth so i know they are healthy and disease free. Shrimp and krill are good substitutes for live fish but I wouldn't base a carnivore diet around them. The healthiest fish you will find are the ones that live the closest to their natural habitat and that includes diet especially if they are carnivorous. I just love to watch them in the hunt and its good for their well being. In my experience fish that are 100% domesticated don't last as long when they are in with bigger or more aggressive fish that are not scared of beating another fish up for their food but having that little bit of self sufficiency and know how that they are naturally suppose to have helps a lot.

This is why its so easy to tell a true f0 or f1 from a captivity breed... f0 and f1 have the know how to get food however they need to but as time goes on and domestic traits are breed into them, they lose that know how and the level of natural instinct decreases.

Its the same reason why releasing any animal back into the wild after captivity doesn't exactly work. If they rely on humans to give them prepared food and don't have to work for it themselves or fight to win the nutrition then they wont know how to in the wild. In this case if other aggressive or bigger fish are in the tank they will be too shy to fight for even pellets cause they have had them just handed to them while they were young.

You know whats best for your fish, so do that. Just keep in mind how things are suppose to go and give your fish the tools to be the best it can be just as its parent would show them in the wild.
alyssaesk
alyssaesk
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-02-14, 23:02

Hi alyssa, it was nice meeting your bf. Hope you guys enjoy the Grammode, Freddie and the Devils.

Oh, and welcome. Smile
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  alyssaesk 2012-02-15, 05:30

I love them and they are adjusting well...
alyssaesk
alyssaesk
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down