Nano-fish experience

4 posters

Go down

Nano-fish experience Empty Nano-fish experience

Post  VsKitchen 2012-02-04, 16:09

I'm still debating what I'll put in my 15 gal hex. It's planted with gravel substrate. I'm thinking of nano-fish to have lots of interesting visuals. So, my 1st choice is a school of spotted blue eyes with either a school of celestial pearl danios or emerald dwarf rasboras (with the thought that the sbe are top zone if my research is correct & the others more bottom). My 2nd choice is a school of spotted blue eyes and a school of green neon tetras. 3rd would be either spotted blue eyes or green neon tetras. Eventually I'd like to have a shrimp colony in there as well.

Do the spotted blue eyes really just stay at the top of the tank, cause I want to be able to have whichever livestock I choose utilize the entire tank instead of a small area.

So does anyone have 1st hand experience with any of these fish? Or any other thoughts you want to share? Very Happy

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Nano-fish experience Empty Re: Nano-fish experience

Post  Kaosu 2012-02-04, 18:31

I have potted blue eyes...if we are talking about the same fish..the dwarf rainbows?

they swim all over the tank not just the top..make sure to get a ration of 2 males per female so they display allot for you.

never had the others you mentioned^_^ good luck with your nano tank i love mine!
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mrsashleyodell 2012-02-04, 18:58

I've had Emerald Dwarf Rasboras and they stayed mostly in the middle of the tank. I kept Red Cherry Shrimp with them without problems. For bottom dwellers, you could get Pygmy Cories or Multi Striped Loaches. I had a tank with Emerald Dwarf Rasboras, Multi Striped Loaches, a Peacock Gudgeon, a Clown Killifish, and Red Cherry Shrimp. They seemed to get along fine, though the baby shrimp were always eaten. I knew that would happen since fish will eat whatever fits in their mouth.
mrsashleyodell
mrsashleyodell
FishBox Regular

http://www.mrsashleyodell.com

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2012-02-04, 20:00

@Kaosu - maybe...some posts I've read call them that. Thier name is Pseudomugil gertrudae and they are also called getrude rainbowfish. I've seen them once as gertrude's blue eye dwarf rainbowfish. Smile They certainly look interesting! good to know they don't stick just to the top of the tank.

@mrsashleyodell - do you seem to have 1 that's predominately the shrimp eating culprit?

I'm thinking of maybe bee shrimp or balbauti green shrimp... I have rcs already and would like something different for my next shrimp colony. Gonna wait though until the tank is more mature.

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  mrsashleyodell 2012-02-04, 20:09

I never watched them eat a shrimp, but it's basically a rule that if it can fit into a fish's mouth, the fish will likely eat it. It was only the babies that were eaten. All adults were fine.
mrsashleyodell
mrsashleyodell
FishBox Regular

http://www.mrsashleyodell.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-02-07, 02:12

I keep and breed CPDs in heavily-planted tanks with both Yellow and Malawa shrimp without serious issues. I'm sure some of the babies get snacked on, but enough survive to perpetuate the colonies. Don't expect "real" schooling behavior though; they're more teens at a party than marines doing PT. Smile They're hardcore middle swimmers; they poke around at the bottom occasionally and only rarely come up to the surface. Adult males can get so red that they almost glow.

I have a glut of babies that will need homes eventually. My parents live up near Renton so I'm up your way from time to time... let me know if you're interested. They've been raised in a noisy, active environment so they're not shy like my adults are. They're gorgeous fish, easily my favorites.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2012-02-07, 09:25

Thanks for the info Smile Let me know when you have babies ready to go & we can work out some details.

I think I've decided on SPE & balbauti green shrimp to start with. Then I'll add the CPD. My tank is cycling, and I found an online source for where I'll buy them. So, now it's just waiting, waiting, waiting Smile

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-02-10, 15:22

I'd like to get some green babaulti too at some point. Best price I've seen recently is $30 for 10 plus shipping - not cheap. And I've been spending too much money on critters (and other hobbies) lately... Neutral
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2012-02-10, 16:07

I've seen them 10 for $25 plus shipping, and I'm currently watching an auction where the are 50 for $20 plus shipping. I am seriously thinking of bidding, but I'm trying to figure out if I can get away with it with my hubby. He's ready for me to stop aquiring with the fish tanks and just enjoy what there is. He doesn't get the whole expansion thing. Laughing However he's travelling over Valentine's day, so maybe.... Laughing

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-02-10, 16:26

Yeah, my wife doesn't understand either. I'm not allowed another tank in the house until December. Sad

Good luck!!!
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2012-02-10, 16:31

Thanks Smile

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content