Starting over with Ammonia method??

4 posters

Go down

Starting over with Ammonia method?? Empty Starting over with Ammonia method??

Post  keri_75 2012-01-27, 19:53

I'm starting my fish tank over after Ich and whatever else was in tank. I'm gonna try the household ammonia method. How much ammonia do I add each day along with my seeding from other tank???

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Starting over with Ammonia method?? Empty Re: Starting over with Ammonia method??

Post  mrsashleyodell 2012-01-27, 21:16

I have never heard of this before, but I looked it up and here is an article that explains it: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm curious why you're choosing this method over others.
mrsashleyodell
mrsashleyodell
FishBox Regular

http://www.mrsashleyodell.com

Back to top Go down

Starting over with Ammonia method?? Empty Re: Starting over with Ammonia method??

Post  Anthraxx 2012-01-27, 21:30

simply seed the tank from your existing setup and ur gravy. no need for the ammonia.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  keri_75 2012-01-27, 23:08

I decided to do this because it made sense, as I do not want to harm other fish. Although when I went down to pet store and talked to my friend, he said just use tap water and seed with my healthy tank. I'm just hoping this doesn't take forever, I miss my fish from that tank already. I've only had to cycle a tank from scratch one other time and it's been a long time!!!

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-02-16, 20:51

I've found that adding floating plants really helps with new tanks and just about everything else. Plants can directly take up ammonia and nitrite as well as nitrates, from what I've read. Floating plants like Amazon Frogbit are especially good at this because their growth isn't limited by lack of CO2 (in the case of aquariums that don't have CO2 supplementation). I keep floating plants in all of my tanks and they do a really good job of keeping the water parameters and occupants happy. I also believe that heavily planting a tank helps prevent ich - I've thrown fish from just about everywhere directly into my tanks and I haven't experienced a single ich outbreak. I've had fish die of course, but no outbreaks that spread to my existing fish. That could just be dumb luck too of course...

So my advice is to add some amazon frogbit Smile It's easier to remove than duckweed and every time you toss some out, you're throwing away all sorts of stuff that the plants have sucked out of the water - a win for all! Of course the more light over the tank the better it grows, but it also helps out-compete algae to keep your glass cleaner.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down