Dwarf Loach

5 posters

Go down

Dwarf Loach Empty Dwarf Loach

Post  VsKitchen 2012-01-27, 13:32

Who has had experience with dwarf loaches? And in particular in a community tank? I find them interesting, but even after the researching I'm not sure if its a good choice for me... So share your experiences please Very Happy

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Dwarf Loach Empty Re: Dwarf Loach

Post  DMD123 2012-01-27, 13:44

I have not had them but I know its recommended to have at least 5.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  plumcuda 2012-01-27, 14:16

What kind of loach ? I've had Botia Striata (Zebra) in a community tank for years. I think I have
at least 4.Started with 6 a few years ago and I know a couple have died. They get along with Rams (bolivian,GBR)molly,dwarf frogs,pleco,bamboo shrimp,otto's,tetra, I haven't had a problem,other then then eating ram eggs. Didn't get the pleco eggs.They live in a castle and cruise the tank. Water 80(seems to keep everyone happy)
plumcuda
plumcuda
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2012-01-27, 15:29

Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki (used to be classified as Botia sidthimunki) - commonly called dwarf loaches, dwarf chain loaches, or dwarf botia

They say that due to being schooling fish 5-6 minumum (or as low as 3 from some resources). I like the idea of them... I'd want them in my planted tank with rumnynose tetras, harliquen rasboras, shrimp and snails. Supposedly that'd work. The snails would be a never-ending buffet for them, but I'm ok with that... Smile

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  plumcuda 2012-01-27, 18:20

Yeah, they made a snail buffet. That was the reason I got them. They have personality. I keep
catching them where the rams spawn.When they see that I can see them, they will take off,then peek out from a piece of wood to see if I'm still there.They tend to hang out in the back of my 55 planted tank. Do the breeding dance like crazy, but to much aeration for the eggs to survive from
what I've read.
plumcuda
plumcuda
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2012-01-28, 02:02

I just received 2 chain loaches that I put in a 20g planted tank with some zebra loaches and they move aroud together a lot. I do want to pick up some more of them too.
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2012-01-28, 03:09

do they eat dwarf shrimp?
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2012-01-28, 12:58

I've read that they will eat brine shrimp, but haven't read anything about them eating dwarf shrimp. Though if there aren't enough of them to school, they apparently get rather aggressive and can pick on other fish. So maybe?

I've also read that breeding them in the aquarium is more accidental and pure luck than anything else as they are extremely difficult to breed. Maybe they just need Madness's Magic Water though. Razz Laughing

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down