All fish died from Ich

+2
Zerc
keri_75
6 posters

Go down

All fish died from Ich  Empty All fish died from Ich

Post  keri_75 2012-01-26, 15:32

My last fish in tank died from Ich and possibly secondary illness. I have one live plant I do not want to rip out, otherwise everything else is out of tank. What now???

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

All fish died from Ich  Empty Re: All fish died from Ich

Post  Zerc 2012-01-26, 15:36

the life cycle of ich is not that long, wait a week or so and i think it should be clean.
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-01-26, 15:37

You do not want this to spread again by using contaminated stuff. I would throw out all filter media and get new. Disinfect everything with a bleach solution and hot water. Bake the rocks to kill any of the bad stuff in there. As for the live plant, Im not sure, I suppose the little cysts could get on it... scratch Not sure what to do with it.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerc 2012-01-26, 15:40

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

When ich matures it falls off of the fish, and releases a few thousand "tomites" these are free floating parasites that attach to the fish and create new white spots. per the article above ->

"These tomites move about looking for a host, which they must find within 2 to 3 days at 75° F (24° C) or they will die."
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-01-26, 15:46

The ich itself not so much the concern, sometimes the secondary things like bacteria can still live quite well on any fish waste and stuff in the gravel. Im pretty sure that is what I had going on in my tank. Contaminated gravel could be a breeding ground for something else. If its a small tank, why risk it, just disinfect to be safe. I just got through baking 135lbs of gravel and at least now can feel safe about that.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  keri_75 2012-01-26, 16:02

DMD123 wrote:The ich itself not so much the concern, sometimes the secondary things like bacteria can still live quite well on any fish waste and stuff in the gravel. Im pretty sure that is what I had going on in my tank. Contaminated gravel could be a breeding ground for something else. If its a small tank, why risk it, just disinfect to be safe. I just got through baking 135lbs of gravel and at least now can feel safe about that.

I'm thinking about taking out all the gravel and doing a deep clean then try to get the temp up high and use salt or med., they say that Ich cannot live outside water and hosts, so I don't know how stuff that has been sitting out for 2 days could be infected. I will probably still soak in vinegar and boiling water.

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-01-26, 16:14

Better safe than sorry. Soaking the gravel in boiling water is still a good idea.

Sorry for your loss. Dont get discouraged, hang in there.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  keri_75 2012-01-26, 16:25

DMD123 wrote:Better safe than sorry. Soaking the gravel in boiling water is still a good idea.

Yeah I'm actually kinda bawling right now, I've barely slept in two days and I lost my two dojo's I've had for 5 years!!! I've never had Ich ever and I got it from new fish at the store, really upset, and now have lots more work to do!!

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerc 2012-01-26, 18:20

clean from ich is easy, it will die on its own after just a few days without a host. as for other stuff such as bacteria from 2ndary infections, that is anyones guess. what kind of plants are they?
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

All fish died from Ich  Empty Live plants???

Post  keri_75 2012-01-26, 18:27

afro OK I've decided to do a complete overhaul on tank including new gravel. How do I save the two healthy plants that I'm taking out and make sure they are clean from Ich????

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerc 2012-01-26, 18:27

See my above post, i think you reposted/deleted?
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-01-26, 18:34

keri_75 wrote:
DMD123 wrote:Better safe than sorry. Soaking the gravel in boiling water is still a good idea.

Yeah I'm actually kinda bawling right now, I've barely slept in two days and I lost my two dojo's I've had for 5 years!!! I've never had Ich ever and I got it from new fish at the store, really upset, and now have lots more work to do!!

I too recently had a loss of an entire tank of fish including some I had over three years. Same kind of situation, newly introduced fish infected my tank. I now have a separate quarantine tank to make sure this never happens again.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2012-01-26, 18:47

I think ich is always in your tank/ fish. And it just takes the right stressors, or conditions for it to be active.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2012-01-26, 19:21

interesting article in Ich
This second article talks about plants and cleaning them of snails and micro bugs which should also work with Disease
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-01-26, 22:59

Thanks for the article. I now happen to need it. Just got two Oscars from Petsmart and one shows a very light amount of ich. Just started treatment with Seachem Paraguard and salt. Just the one is showing it and it is very light at this point.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2012-01-27, 16:44

No Problem DMD I hope it helps. I love finding new articles on the internet. Whats funny is I found another article on RES care and I found out something new. Very Happy
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-01-27, 23:58

I have had ich in a few tanks... never gutted it and got new stuff..... or baked gravel..... thats seriously overkill..... reallly just raise temp above 90 for a week.... then do a few vacume and water changes.... should be fine....

Good luck with the new fishys.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  keri_75 2012-01-28, 04:17

I wasn't in my right mind when I decided to break it all down. I forgot how long it is to cycle. Although I did want to change the color of gravel and do deep clean, etc. I was really attached to my Dojo's. The fish, shrimp and frogs that I have are my pets, it's not a hobby to me!!!! Hopefully I won't have to go through this again but now I've learned some hard lessons. beerchug

keri_75
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down