Pleco ??

5 posters

Go down

Pleco ?? Empty Pleco ??

Post  Jantilla 2011-12-18, 00:12

Well I have a 12 inch pleco that I'm thinking need's a new home. It's not that he is too big but the fact that he scares the crap out of my fish at night drives me crazy. My fish are having new wounds all the time. My new tank will have wood so they might get hurt pretty bad if they are spooked at night. Is there any benefit to have a pleco? What should I do? Parting ways won't be easy but I must do what is best for my oscar's. He’s more than just a common pleco, he’s part of the family.

Jantilla
Jantilla

Back to top Go down

Pleco ?? Empty Re: Pleco ??

Post  Adonijah 2011-12-18, 01:03

Given that he can't turn around in the tank without bending I'd say he really needs a larger(deeper) home Sad
Adonijah
Adonijah
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jantilla 2011-12-18, 01:10

Adonijah wrote:Given that he can't turn around in the tank without bending I'd say he really needs a larger(deeper) home Sad

I have a 210 gallon tank
Jantilla
Jantilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerc 2011-12-18, 01:16

your signature is confusing Smile
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jantilla 2011-12-18, 01:20

Zerc wrote:your signature is confusing Smile

I forgot about that. Well the new home is the 210. It's the one that had the leak. I just don't know if the pleco should go in or not. The 55 is going to a family member who has a big oscar in a small tank.
Jantilla
Jantilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerc 2011-12-18, 01:29

That is strange that they are being spooked. Maybe the pleco is aggressive? Maybe give it a week or two in the new tank, the extra space might calm everyone down a lot. If not, then at least you tried and you know for sure! Plecos are nice because they keep the algae and spare food eaten. maybe get some smaller bristlenose if the big pleco doesn't work out?

In the meantime, tell your oscars to man up! Laughing
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-12-18, 01:33

I cant believe that the pleco is the issue. I have a 17" pleco in with my Devils and though my male Devil and the pleco are always fighting for the same territory, the pleco never attacks the fish.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Jantilla 2011-12-18, 01:39

I think the pleco is smart. He gets picked on during the day but gets payback at night lol. Also when I go to feed the Oscar’s he goes to the top of the tank and steals some of the pellets. He just started doing that. Madness doesn't the waste they create drive you nuts?

Jantilla
Jantilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-12-18, 01:46

The big pleco's? Yes, I hate it. But nobody wants a 17" pleco. Smile Plus its not that bad, as often as I gravel vac, it doesnt stay long.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Jantilla 2011-12-18, 01:53

madness wrote:The big pleco's? Yes, I hate it. But nobody wants a 17" pleco. Smile Plus its not that bad, as often as I gravel vac, it doesnt stay long.

The waste is crazy. I think I need to stop feeding him. He get's alot of left overs. I give him a algae tablet every night. The new tank will have sand instead of gravel.
Jantilla
Jantilla

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-12-18, 02:06

I think the issue is the small tank. A foot long pleco in a 55g would disturb any fish trying to sleep at night! I would try the pleco in the 210g. I think everything will work out fine in there.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jantilla 2011-12-18, 02:10

DMD123 wrote:I think the issue is the small tank. A foot long pleco in a 55g would disturb any fish trying to sleep at night! I would try the pleco in the 210g. I think everything will work out fine in there.

I hope everything works out. I'll be testing the tank tomorrow. I have a problem with my loc line on my return's. They were shooting out air bubbles. It wasn't coming from my pump because I have a clear tube that connects the pump to the pvc pipe and there were no air bubbles in the tubing.
Jantilla
Jantilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerc 2011-12-18, 02:14

Well you know, if the fish "just dont like" the 210g, my fish would be happy to trade your fish!

jocolor
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jantilla 2011-12-18, 02:45

Zerc wrote:Well you know, if the fish "just dont like" the 210g, my fish would be happy to trade your fish!

jocolor

lol!
Jantilla
Jantilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down