The Wet Spot - Portland Empty The Wet Spot - Portland

Post  Zerc 2011-11-15, 15:07

The Wet Spot - Portland

Overall Experience 3
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 1

I am supposed to get my shipment of fish and plants today, so I sent their sales manager an email asking if I could get a tracking number so I could get an approximate time of arrival. He responded with "Have you paid? I am not seeing a payment on paypal."

Violent

I had called him Friday and paid over the phone, and it charged to my account Monday morning...

Violent

So my fish will be here tomorrow...

Mad Mad Mad
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

The Wet Spot - Portland Empty Got a great order from wet spot

Post  plumcuda 2011-11-18, 04:50

I got a great order a few weeks ago with no problems. Paid by credit card on the phone. Healthy fish. Matter of fact
the baby(I thought) orange flash have graced me with 2 batches of baby's in the last 2 weeks. On a side note anybody
from Bremerton to Port Angeles have a 20-40 long to sale. My 10 gallon holding tank is getting cramped.

Lori
plumcuda
plumcuda
Fry

Back to top Go down

The Wet Spot - Portland Empty Re: The Wet Spot - Portland

Post  michaelman 2011-11-21, 17:07

The Wet Spot - Portland

Overall Experience- 5
Cost-5
Quality of Fish-5
Variety- 5
Service- 2
this is a local store for me being in vancouver . great selection. what i like is that its not a pet store its a fish store only .which makes it great because you dont get distracted by other pets and products imo anyways. plus its a big store for being a lfs. service can be improved. but the quality and rarity plus quantity will keep this lfs as one of my favorites
michaelman
michaelman
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-03-01, 20:33

Overall Experience- 5
Cost-5
Quality of Fish-5
Variety- 5
Service- 5

I've placed 2 orders from Wetspot via UPS ground and paypal outside of Aquabid and I've had zero issues. Anthony generally answered my emails within hours and I sent him a bunch of them, asking questions about this and that. I did have a DOA in my first order (one of 13 pygmy corys), but he gave me credit for it which I applied to my 2nd order - no DOAs there (chili rasboras).
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-03-05, 02:24

Had the pleasure of going to Portland today with FishnVW and met Aclockworkorange and visited here. First for my scores

Overall Experience 2
Cost 4
Quality of Fish and tanks 0
Variety 5
Service 3

I have visited the Wet Spot a few times over the last 1.5 years, and I have to say that this time, I was thoroughly disappointed. Travis there was helpful as usual, but only saw 1 other guy there working. The tanks were an absolute mess. They were dirty, cloudy, disgusting. The fish looked uncomfortable, and sick. Saw several tanks with fish scratching and had clamped fins. Even more fish had long stringy poo, which points to parasites. Even the huge African tank in the front of the store was so cloudy and dirty you could barely see what was in it. Some tanks were so dirty you could tell which fish were which.

I dont know what has happened, but IMO the most awesome fish store in the NW is quickly going down hill. I hope they clean it up soon, cause it wont be worth it to drive and visit ever again.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-03-05, 13:47

Yikes! That's terrible Sad
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jantilla 2012-03-05, 14:47

madness wrote:Had the pleasure of going to Portland today with FishnVW and met Aclockworkorange and visited here. First for my scores

Overall Experience 2
Cost 4
Quality of Fish and tanks 0
Variety 5
Service 3

I have visited the Wet Spot a few times over the last 1.5 years, and I have to say that this time, I was thoroughly disappointed. Travis there was helpful as usual, but only saw 1 other guy there working. The tanks were an absolute mess. They were dirty, cloudy, disgusting. The fish looked uncomfortable, and sick. Saw several tanks with fish scratching and had clamped fins. Even more fish had long stringy poo, which points to parasites. Even the huge African tank in the front of the store was so cloudy and dirty you could barely see what was in it. Some tanks were so dirty you could tell which fish were which.

I dont know what has happened, but IMO the most awesome fish store in the NW is quickly going down hill. I hope they clean it up soon, cause it wont be worth it to drive and visit ever again.

I agree with you. I have been there two times in the last week and the experience wasn't worth the trip. It looks like they stopped taking care of their fish. The tanks were horrible and the fish weren't any better. The wet spot used to be leader of the pack.
Jantilla
Jantilla

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-07-23, 13:10

Overall Experience- 5
Cost-5
Quality of Fish-5
Variety- 5
Service- 5

The tanks looked very well kept up to me and the fish looked great. I guess I dont see the place every day and only get in there about once every six to eight months and on this day it was good. I am not sure who helped me but he was knowledgeable, friendly and patient. He took time to answer all my questions on compatibility and never made me feel rushed. I thought the variety of CA cichlids was good considering that it was been very slim at A Place For Pets. I ended up with Vieja bifasciatum, Parachromic fredrichsthalii and Paratilapia bleekeri. There were many more I was interested in but this was the mix I brought home. Over all I was very happy with the experience.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2012-07-23, 15:57

Fisrt trip to the wet spot Friday. Great Place! Couldn't spend the time I wanted to while there, though. Between games at g-daughter's softball tournament...!! Sad

I rate all 5's as well. Fish, tanks and plants were all pristine. Large selection of Af Cichlids which I liked a lot. Get this....before we left my WIFE bought a 12 gallon rimless bookshelf tank!!! Woo hoo! bounce Now gotta find filter and light to fit the decor of our home!

fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-07-23, 23:06

I would rate all 5s.
There was no saltwater fish but I can even appreciate the selection and quantity of freshwater species.

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-08-19, 00:30

Visited the Wet Spot today. First time back since my last (very disappointing) visit.

I can sum this up in 2 words. MUCH IMPROVED. Very Happy

Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish and tanks 5
Variety 5 (for the avg hobbyist)
Variety 3+ (for me, I have a lot of what they have, so variety was slim)
Service 5++

I was so very pleased and happy to see that the store was looking great. Travis, (as usual) was very helpful.

I picked up some different types of fish today. 3 x Botia Kubotai "Burma Loach", 2 x WC Caq Myersi, a pair of WC Geo. Steindachneri, L260 - 'Queen Arabesque' Pleco, and L075 - Peckoltia sabaji 'Para' Pleco.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-12-04, 23:20

The WallMart of aquatics huge store huge selection. OMG, took me like 2 hours to walk the whole store.

Overall Experience: 5
Cost: 3
Quality of Fish: 5
Variety: 5
Service: ... You have to go find someone available at times. A little understaffed for the size of the place.

Back to top Go down

The Wet Spot - Portland Empty The Wet Spot - Portland

Post  Guest 2013-03-22, 10:40

Overall Experience: 4
Cost: 4
Service: 4.5

I ordered fish from these guys online and had them shipped overnight. Anthony was easy to work with and provided me a tracking number. Fish arrived well packaged and all were alive and well (and still are). They have great prices compared to the local fish stores and an even better selection. My only gripe is I recently emailed Anthony to inquire about 2 species of fish and expressed to him that I would like to possibly take the drive down there to visit if the fish were in stock but he never replied back. That was about 3 weeks ago Mad Kind of discourages me from contacting again in the future but I likely will if they stock a fish I want and cannot find locally. Overall a good experience.

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-03-22, 14:37

Anthony is a very busy man, with dealing with the Wet Spot and Cichlid Exchange, call the store and ask for Travis, he is the guy that keeps the store running smoothly, and he will help you immediately.

GL
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2013-03-22, 15:47

Head Wall I was in Gresham last weekend and I really wanted to stop by there. My schedule just didn't allow for it. I was bummed because I have heard great things about the place.
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-05-16, 12:19

Overall Experience: 4
Cost: 4
Service: 5

Me and my fiance stopped by on our way back from vacation. It felt like entering a rainforest when I stepped through the doors, I noticed fans but no dehumidifiers or AC, which I hope they have somewhere. It took me a while to look around, but I ended up buying a super red ancistrus pleco for $20 and a calico ancistrus pleco for $14, as well as a couple flagtail porthole cats for $15 total. I had actually picked out a flag tail and regular, but the regular was swimming funny in the bag. They replaced it with a flag tail and didn't charge me extra. If you are in the area, it is definitely worth it to stop by, but I wouldn't recommend a trip just for this store, it is much cheaper to pay shipping than it is to pay for gas.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jettej 2013-07-05, 02:06

Overall Experience 4
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5+
Service 2

I finally get to check this store today. Very nice set up! Downside is you don't know where to start Because you see all the good stuff everywhere.

Cost- I can get lower prices from some place else here at Wa. but assuming they don't take taxes It's worth buying stuff that u don't normally get here at Wa.

Quality of fish- I'm amazed how they managed to take care all this fish despite of countless number of tanks they have. most fish doesn't looked stressed.

Variety- If you can't find it here at Wa. you can find it there. I found some bettas that are wild caught and you can usually find only at aquabid.. Plecos That are wild caught. and tons of Plants!

Service- I went there today around 3:20PM and they looked like they are ready to get off work since they close earlier today than normal. 4 P.M. Because of obvious reasons. Young staff. Can be a little too hard to make a conversation. Easy to ask questions but they answer a little bit of a Period answer.

Anyways this store will be a Top of the list to go whenever I will visit Portland...
I hope they expand/improve service. Overall I'm satisfied I visited this store.
jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-07-10, 08:25

Overall Experience 5
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5+
Service 5

We visited Wetspot a couple of weeks ago and I apologize...I did not realized there was a review section  here for them.

Our experience was exceptional.  Only having one local fish store and a Petco in our area we felt like we were in fish store heaven and kids in a candy store.  Their tanks were stunning.  The fish looked happy and well cared for.  The variety of fish and plants overwhelmed us.  While shopping we had several store personnel inquire about assisting us and helping us make choices and giving information.  We took our time and viewed the whole store.  It was a great experience overall.

If you are ever in Portland, make sure to put this store on your "must visit" list.  You will not be disappointed.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-07-16, 17:08

Overall Experience 4
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 3.5

Still my favorite here in the NW. Since my last rating almost a year ago, I have visited the Wet Spot several times. Have sold hundreds of various fry to them, and Travis is the main reason this place rocks. This last visit Travis was on vacation and my questions couldnt find an answer from most of the help there. Either way, it was a pleasant visit and I came away with 2 more plecos.

Oh and for you Discus enthusiasts. They now have one side of an entire row dedicated to Discus(+ -60 tanks). I wish I would have taken some pictures, they had a couple of blue ones that were out of this world. Very Happy
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  CrimsonFog 2013-07-23, 13:06

Overall Experience 4
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 5
Service 3

Love this place. I don't go there for the customer service ;-)
CrimsonFog
CrimsonFog
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2013-07-24, 07:40

Overall Experience 4
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 4

I have only dealt with Anthony in the online sales but it was a pleasant experience. Box was packed well and all fish in good shape. The shipping was much less than I am used to. I will be a return customer.
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-09-12, 02:27

Overall Experience 4
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

I made a second trip to their store on Sunday and I am glad that the air wasn't as humid as before. I took my time looking at all the fish, and was saddened to leave with only two. The store wasn't that busy this time around and it only took a minute for someone to help me.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jettej 2013-09-12, 07:09

CrazedAce wrote:Overall Experience 4
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

I made a second trip to their store on Sunday and I am glad that the air wasn't as humid as before. I took my time looking at all the fish, and was saddened to leave with only two. The store wasn't that busy this time around and it only took a minute for someone to help me.
At least you got something. I went there last 4th of july and i got 3 people and my dog waiting in my car while im browsing and found out that they ran out of the pleco i was looking for. And i got overwhelmed with their store i dont know what to at least buy/search until i ran out of time and idea because they gotta close early.
jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2013-09-15, 00:32

Overall experience 4
cost 4
quality of fish 4
variety 5
service 5+

Made my first trip from Snohomish. Dropped off the wife at the miniture show and the chitlins and I headed to Voodoo donuts for some crazy goodies. Then to the Wet Spot for some shopping. Huge selection for which I would expect seeing that they have a ton of tanks. All the tanks clean and fish healthy. Prices are on par with any LFS in Washington so I would have to say I'm glad I drove down but I'm glad I didn't do it just for the store. I would have been disappointed slightly. As far as helpful staff, everyone who was working asked me if they could help me with anything. That shows me that they care about their customers and that's what brings customers back to their store time and time again. One thing I don't appreciate is the skinny isles between tank rows. I understand they are maximizing the square footage for the stocking benefit but when you have to stand up and turn sideways every 10 seconds to let someone by when you have your face in a bottom row tank deciding on the fish you want it can get annoying. If you haven't been to this store yet then I encourage you to make the trip so you can see a top notch LSF.
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  hose91 2014-04-21, 08:29

Overall experience 4
cost 4/NA
quality of fish 4
variety 5
service 5

Drove down to see my Pop over Easter weekend in Vancouver across the river.  On our way home Sunday, we ventured over and did nearly the reverse of Salzabar above, Wet Spot first, then Voodoo for a box of goodies on our way out of town.  I'm still cycling my first tank (waiting for Nitrite consuming bacteria, now on day 17) and so didn't get any fish.  I've been planning my stock from their online availability and I was able to lay eyes on my desired Perlmutt, Rusty and Membe deep stock, which was nice.  The Malawi and Tangynikan aisle were excellent, and the sheer variety was quite impressive.  

I'm new to fishkeeping, and I think it's interesting how the big boxes might have spoiled me in terms of store atmosphere.  Bright and spacious is not the wet spot's strong point.  The 500G Mbuna tank is pretty cool, but I'd have liked a zoo-like guide to what's in there, and the tank itself was pretty scratched up.  I guess I had greater expectations.  Still, was nice to see lots of well cared for adult stock, and the tanks were all clean and to my mostly untrained eye, the fish looked healthy and well cared for.  The staff was appropriately helpful, but not overpowering.   The wife and kids waited patiently in the car for me to get my fill, and I could have stayed longer just to watch the fish, but I'm also glad that I didn't necessarily make the trip just for the store.  I WILL be ordering from them online, though.  Prices are reasonable and shipping much more reasonable than most, and the juvenile stock looked great.  Their dry goods section was also quite extensive, although that alone wouldn't be worth the drive from Seattle.  I got my souvenir coffee cup and we headed out.

Definitely my first choice for an online order, and when we're back down there to visit family, I'll make another visit when I can browse longer without family pressure to go get donuts, but probably wouldn't go just for this store.
hose91
hose91
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-04-21, 11:34

Oh then your not getting it then. Smile The idea of a fish store is exactly what they have, it allows you to spend hours admiring every tank and seeing what is in them. This is how a true fish store looks. Maybe when you have more time to look at every tank you will see that it was worth the trip. And that tank in the front is like 30 years old, looks pretty good considering its age.

Overall experience 5 (always a pleasure)
cost 4.5 (the fish I wanted were just a bit to pricey)
quality of fish 5 (tanks are looking very nice)
variety 5
service 5 (Travis is always helpful)
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  hose91 2014-04-21, 12:58

Right, so I didn't mean to imply that big box was better, or that Wet Spot was in any way, shape or form deficient as an LFS, and in retrospect, the second half of my last statement "probably wouldn't go just for this store" was overly harsh, given that it's not a tremendously lengthy trip, but the first half "I'll make another visit when I can browse longer without family pressure" is exactly what you're saying.  I do get the concept of the LFS, and can appreciate the value of a place like Wet Spot.  My point was more that the big box stores with their big, bright areas (and generally deficient staff knowledge/healthy stock/ intriguing variety) misrepresent what the fish hobbyist is really looking for in a store, and as a newcomer to the hobby, I got suckered by my own misguided expectations of what such a highly rated store would actually look like.  My wife (and kids) came along, which is sort of like me going clothes shopping with her.  I tolerate it, and I don't begrudge her the time to do her thing in any way, but she always feels like she has to be in a hurry to get done, which is sort of how I felt on Sunday.  They were happy to browse for about 15 minutes, then they went to sit in the car, and I felt pressed to move along, instead of standing in front of every tank and really taking it all in.

Good insight though, and something I'll keep in mind when I make my next visit.
hose91
hose91
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-04-21, 13:01

hose91 wrote:Right, so I didn't mean to imply that big box was better, or that Wet Spot was in any way, shape or form deficient as an LFS, and in retrospect, the second half of my last statement "probably wouldn't go just for this store" was overly harsh, given that it's not a tremendously lengthy trip, but the first half "I'll make another visit when I can browse longer without family pressure" is exactly what you're saying.  I do get the concept of the LFS, and can appreciate the value of a place like Wet Spot.  My point was more that the big box stores with their big, bright areas (and generally deficient staff knowledge/healthy stock/ intriguing variety) misrepresent what the fish hobbyist is really looking for in a store, and as a newcomer to the hobby, I got suckered by my own misguided expectations of what such a highly rated store would actually look like.  My wife (and kids) came along, which is sort of like me going clothes shopping with her.  I tolerate it, and I don't begrudge her the time to do her thing in any way, but she always feels like she has to be in a hurry to get done, which is sort of how I felt on Sunday.  They were happy to browse for about 15 minutes, then they went to sit in the car, and I felt pressed to move along, instead of standing in front of every tank and really taking it all in.  

Good insight though, and something I'll keep in mind when I make my next visit.

I know exactly what you mean. LOL I think when you can spend more time there, you will love it. Very Happy
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-04-28, 16:27

Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 4.5
Variety 5
Service 5

Good 5 star experience all around and I came home with an L114 pleco and a few pieces of driftwood.

I did a 4.5 on quality of fish because there were a lot of issues in the various large cichlid tanks. Clouded eye on one, some laying on their side (granted one was an oscar who totally perked up when my wife put her hand up to the tank, but their was another that was totally unresponsive), some beat up looking fish for sure in quite a few tanks. In other words normal cichlid behavior, so really should I even rate this?

Service was excellent. Had to wait since they were packed out but not too bad. Worker remembered me from before and knew I had a long drive back so he made sure to bag it up in a larger sized bag with lots of air in it. Great experience!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-06-02, 11:50

Overall Experience 4
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 2.5

Wife had a last minute pick-up down in Portland, so I got the pleasure to drop by the store. It was about 1 hour before closing, so I didn't get to browse as much as I'd like to. I did pick up a sub-adult Placidochromis sp. Jalo, but the customer service wasn't that great. I asked them how come I didn't see the tag for this fish and they said that it doesn't matter since everything in the tank is the same price. That's somewhat true, but I for one like to know WHAT I'm buying and if I were a beginner fish keeper, saying that doesn't help. I told them that it was a Placidochromis sp. Jalo, and she's like, "oh there he is" and pointed at the tag that read Aulonocara Jalo. I told her it wasn't it and asked if this was an F1 or not and she said it was a wild caught, but I doubted it since they had all their wilds against the wall behind us. At that point I gave up and just checked out with my fish, my beef with it is that I rather have them tell me that they didn't know and their cichlid expert wasn't there than to have them tell me wrong information. It just confused my wife when I told her all the info she said was wrong, so for beginners this doesn't really fly. Great selection though and would come back again.
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-06-02, 12:22

Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

My review is actually based on an online order I recently did with them. I got a hairy puffer in last week and everything went great. With Anthony no longer handling this department and other people being involved, I wasnt sure how it would go, but it turned out great. The service was outstanding with emails getting answered quickly, the price was reasonable considering the fish is not that common and shipping also reasonable. For those wanting something they just cant find locally this is not to bad a deal. Minimum order is like $24 in product and shipping is $15 for ground and $20 for next day with 10:30am delivery. This includes all the packaging materials in the cost, no extra box fee or anything. With the fact there is also no tax your dollar stretches a bit. Very happy with my experience!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down