+3
Madness
Anthraxx
DMD123
7 posters

Go down

Back to basics Empty Back to basics

Post  DMD123 2011-11-09, 16:22

So I recently set up my 29g in my office at home and needed to put something in it ... so I got a simple $2.99 convict.

Yes a starter fish for many in the hobby. They breed like rabbits, everyone seems to have them and they are totally unappreciated. Funny thing is I find myself enjoying the simplicity of this little tank and its new occupant. I find myself watching him and interacting with him quite a bit more than I thought I would. Made me think of when I first got into the hobby as a kid and how simple it was, back then. Then I go downstairs and look at the monster tank in the living room and all the stress Ive had with my big orange guy being sick and think 'maybe I should simplify' and get back to basics. Maybe raise 210g worth of convicts... LMFAO , Gotcha! not going to happen!

This was me ranting about the new 29g set up but the point I was going for was sometimes I miss the simple tanks. How about you? Ever feel like you got to much going on with tanks, care, feeding and wish for something simple?
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Back to basics Empty Re: Back to basics

Post  Anthraxx 2011-11-09, 17:16

cough.. africans. add water plus food and watch the fun unfold. my Gf does all the fancy stuff i just add water baby brine and watch the babies spread out everywhere.. hahaha like i said before that 210 would make one KILLER african tank... Twisted Evil
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-11-09, 17:43

Africans, Americans, they are all work. Doesn't matter what you have. If you raised horses, work! Dogs, work! Gardening, work! Golf, fun work!! But all of our hobbies are going to be work, that's why its a hobby. The problem is when your hobby gets large, then its more work. Me, I don't regret the large tanks and all the work. Just watching them grow and interact makes it all worth it. I know that a sudden breakout of some type of illness can really dampen ones spirits on the hobby. But it will get better.

So bring on the ginormous tank and the 10,000 gal pond. That way all the fish go into the water together, and I only have to deal with a few large, instead of a lot of small. Very Happy
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2011-11-09, 18:23

250,000 gallon convict tank.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-09, 18:59

madness wrote:I know that a sudden breakout of some type of illness can really dampen ones spirits on the hobby. But it will get better.
This is whats probably helping me appreciate a simple set up more. A little bit much with the daily massive water changes and meds.

The funny thing is when the con gets bigger he is just going into the 210g anyway, so much for simple!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2011-11-09, 23:55

I don't feel like I have too much going on as far as care, feeding, etc. Like Anthraxx's, mine are pretty simple to take care of once I get the stock in each tank balanced out in aggression.

However I do feel like I have too much going on when it comes to number of tanks running! Way too many, but still not enough -- I'm sure you know what I mean by that. jocolor
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2011-11-10, 14:16

I just spent almost 3 solid days getting things ready in my tanks for my trip here to Va for 8 days. That way my wife won't have too much to do but feed them for me. I guess bringing in new plants and fish within the last 4 days didn't help much either! But when someone calls and they are ready...I go get them!
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-11-10, 14:26

I'm working on more automation in my breeder setup. Want to make water changes easier. On my Tang tank I turn 2 valves and add Prime and buffers and I'm done. Looking to replicate that on the 11 tanks in racks.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down