Sump with FX5

4 posters

Go down

Sump with FX5 Empty Sump with FX5

Post  TerenceH 2011-08-25, 14:23

As you all know I am working on this 120 gal corner tank. It has a single overflow with two holes. Icer help me set it up so that I could run an FX5 on it. Which I thought to be a great idea. I picked up some bioballs to put in the overflow at the GSAS picnic. I was informed that I would be much better off with a sump and the FX5. Instead of running the FX5 with bioballs in the overflow. This is an acrylic tank that does not have a completely open top. I would rather not drill additional holes in the tank as I fear it may crack. I however would like to run both the FX5 and sump using the same plumbing. I am sure someone has a great suggestion as to how to solve this problem. Any ideas or solutions will be greatly appreciated.
TerenceH
TerenceH

Back to top Go down

Sump with FX5 Empty Re: Sump with FX5

Post  censeoflife 2011-08-25, 15:50

You'd have to change the plumbing on your FX5 to mate with T fittings and use a large enough diameter with consideration to gph. This would also mean adding a spray bar to spread out the exhaust. I'm sure you could hide a nice one in your rock wall. Check valves are a must to prevent the exhaust from backfilling the sump.
censeoflife
censeoflife
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-08-25, 16:48

If it were me I'd consider plumbing the FX5 into the sump (is it a sump or a wet/dry?) and focus on having the sump (or wet/dry) be my bacterial filter and the FX5 handle cleaning and polishing the water.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TerenceH 2011-08-25, 18:18

larry.beck wrote:If it were me I'd consider plumbing the FX5 into the sump (is it a sump or a wet/dry?) and focus on having the sump (or wet/dry) be my bacterial filter and the FX5 handle cleaning and polishing the water.

I had the exact thought process I wanted to run the FX5 off the sump. My idea was to put connect the return of the sump to the input of the FX5. I wanted to use a small pump to push the water into the FX5. I was told that would not work for a few reasons. The FX5 and sump would be at same level and I would not not be able to control the flow rate. The water should be enter and exit both devices at the same rate.

ANY SOLUTIONS?

I am not sure what the difference in a sump or wet/dry is but this is what I have.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
TerenceH
TerenceH

Back to top Go down

Post  TerenceH 2011-08-25, 20:26

Is that a sump or wet/dry?
TerenceH
TerenceH

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-08-25, 23:11

That's a wet/dry. Good for use on a freshwater tank, particularly for biological filtration.

I would think you could plumb it into the right hand side of the wet/dry, with 2 bulkheads underneath the bio tower.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TerenceH 2011-08-26, 10:39

OK could you explain to me how that would work? I am still learning this world.
TerenceH
TerenceH

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-08-26, 12:37

As I think about it, that idea won't work. The FX5 is a gravity-fed filter so you need to have water above it and let gravity pull it into the filter. Therefore I believe there are 3 options

- run each filter with its own plumbing, not connected to one another, or
- plumb the tank to the FX5, then the FX5 to the wet/dry, and then return to the tank, or
- plumb the tank to a manifold that supplies both the FX5 and the wet/dry, and plumb each of their returns separately.

The 3rd option is a little trickier and might require some experimentation to get the flows leveled out and to ensure you have enough flow for both return pumps.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TerenceH 2011-08-26, 13:23

I was considering the 2nd option but to the wet/dry first.
TerenceH
TerenceH

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-08-26, 18:03

Problem with tank to wet/dry to FX5 is you can't create a gravity feed between the wet/dry and the FX5.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TerenceH 2011-08-26, 18:46

Makes sense.

Do you think this will be an issue if run a small pump from the wet/dry into the FX5.

Also does it matter what is first biological or mechanical filtration?
TerenceH
TerenceH

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2011-08-26, 19:42

Usually I think you want to go mechanical, then biological, that way your biological media doesn't get all clogged up and nasty.
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down