Prone to Algae?

3 posters

Go down

Prone to Algae? Empty Prone to Algae?

Post  VsKitchen 2011-08-19, 11:45

A fish store employee told me that if the aquarium is in a room where you can't control the amount of light in the room, and therefore the tank, (windows letting in light without tank in direct sunlight) you would always have a problem with algae. While I can see some logic in that, I was under the impression that algae is a natural part of the environment in an aquarium. What do you guys think about this?

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Prone to Algae? Empty Re: Prone to Algae?

Post  Gryphon 2011-08-19, 12:09

I've found that tanks that get exposed to direct sunlight tend to grow algae 100x faster than those that don't.

Usually if you have a well cycled filter and do your weekly water changes it keeps the nitrates down enough you shouldn't have an algae problem.
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fyurae 2011-08-19, 20:44

Algae depends on so many variables. I think it would be fair to say that if you have a tank in a room with lots of natural light, then that is a variable that you don't have firm control over, and therefore can't be 100% in control of the balance in the tank to prevent algae. But that doesn't mean that you are ALWAYS going to get algae.

Some people really, really don't like algae in their tank. I personally don't mind it at all, as long as I can see through the glass, and I don't have beard algae choking plants.

In high-light, high-nutrient environments, algae could grow VERY quickly, and therefore be a major problem.
Fyurae
Fyurae
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down