Community Fish Advice

4 posters

Go down

Community Fish Advice Empty Community Fish Advice

Post  VsKitchen 2011-08-18, 20:28

I am upgrading to a 20 gal (from a 10 gal) planted tank as a project with my 5 year old son. I am hoping to, in part, use the fish tank to reinforce good group behaviour lessons with my son. Spot On Practical applications of rules, etc.

Currently we have 2 otos - so nice and mellow, 3 bloodfin tetras - playful active little fish, 2 amano shrimp - do their own thing, and 1 lyre tail molly - a big greedy bully. As the tank size will be doubling, we want to add a few more fish into the community. So my question is this: What community fish have you found get along best with each other while not pulling my plants out of the substrate?

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Community Fish Advice Empty Re: Community Fish Advice

Post  fishloverRon 2011-08-18, 23:05

I have 2 55g tanks with various tetras...neons, serpaes, silver tips, glowlights and some i don't know. Added to them are Albino Plecos, several varieties of cory cats and some dwarf pencil fish. i have 3 Columbian tetras in one tank. I like them, but they can get a little domineering over the others. Guppies could do okay, but the faster tetras may nip their fins. If you wanted to add some cichlids you might try some Apistogramma cacacoides - 1 male and1 female. They do their thing and leave the rest alone most of the time.
That's my $.02 worth. They're working fine for me!
Ron
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2011-08-19, 00:25

Thanks for the input! I was reading earlier tonight that mollies should not be kept in anything less than 30 gal & will likely become aggressive if they are. So, now I'm thinking that maybe the Molly will have to find a new, larger home...

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-08-25, 23:18

A gourami would work - a dwarf type, like the neon blue would look good.

Ive also always had a soft spot for the dwarf clawed frogs, they are so comical.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2011-09-12, 04:32

Mollies don't get that big to warrant a minimum of 30gals. The 20gal would be just fine. He may just be a bully fish, all fish have different personalities and he just may have a grumpy one. He could also be stressed from not having any other mollies as company. Mollies need to be in a group of at least three to feel more comfortable and secure. Same goes with the otos, might wanna add another one or two.

If I was adding fish to the tank I'd add a couple more molies, another oto and either 3 or 4 cories or a betta.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2011-09-12, 08:46

I'm not getting any more fish that he can breed with. Smile Thanks for the information on the tank size.

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2011-09-14, 03:26

You could always get a couple more males, they're easy enough to sex. Or it might be a good idea to find him a home with other mollies. Good luck with your fish selection.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down