Is that a Tetra?? w/pics

2 posters

Go down

Is that a Tetra?? w/pics Empty Is that a Tetra?? w/pics

Post  Nephilym 2011-06-01, 19:34

Was watching the fish after feeding this morning when I noticed a tiny little speck hovering under a rock ledge at the bottom of my tank. At first I thought maybe it was a snail but on closer inspection I realized it was a baby fish! Now this came as a shock to me since this was my brand new 37 gallon tank I just set up. The only thing in tthe tank are some molly fry too young to breed and three diamond tetras. The tetras were my first addition to the tank after I set it up, and also my first non-livebearing fish. I read up on their breeding habits and from what I understood it seemed breeding them was a somewhat tricky matter and I shouldn't expect to raise any fry without lots of work.

I still have a hard time believing that in just the few weeks they've been in the tank that they already laid eggs, hatched, and survived the ever hungry mollies swarming around the tank. I can't confirm that it is a tetra fry since it refuses to come out of the little cave it's in, but the only other explanation I have is that some other newborn fry snuck in with one of the live plants I purchased. Either way I'm not very familiar with raising Tetra fry, and would like to move it to my 10 gallon tank with the other fry that I have, but the fish is so shy I can tell I will never get it out.

I really hope it survives, I haven't found any other fry so far, but with so many plants and rocks who knows, there could be a few more. My main concern is not being able to get the right food to it. I've had molly fry survive in an open tank fighting it out with the bigger fish, and not only survive but seem to grow faster and larger than fry raised by themselves, but with just this one tetra and being so shy I'm not sure he'll get the nutrition it needs. Any thoughts from those who have had tetras?

Edit: Okay I was able to snap a few pictures of the fry and the narrow angled fins in the back indeed appear to confirm it's a tetra! Having a bit of trouble with my cameras wifi but as soon as it's resolved I'll try to post a pic

Got the pics...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nephilym
Nephilym
Fry

Back to top Go down

Is that a Tetra?? w/pics Empty Re: Is that a Tetra?? w/pics

Post  Mikey 2011-06-01, 21:05

Coloration is identical to a diamond tetra. Nicely done, your fish are happy Very Happy
Mikey
Mikey
Contributing Member

http://www.wafishbox.com

Back to top Go down