how long do you run your lights

3 posters

Go down

how long do you run your lights Empty how long do you run your lights

Post  drudown66 2011-01-15, 18:05

hey guys i have a 75g tnk up and running with a 30g sump down below and i seem to b running in to one hell of a algae issue right now. i came from using t-5's and never had this issue. im going to try to get a pic of it to help id it a lil easier, but its all over the glass and its green. not like a hair algae tho, i was wondering if maybe i am running my mh to long and this is causing the issue, i have 2 250w mh that run from the time i go to work about 9ish till the time i get home around 8 or 9., i have 2 vho's as well that seem to have a issue with the retro kit i think but im worried about hooking them up since i fear this issue maybe cause by light. any ideals on what it could be or how to fix it? thanks for any helps on this issue guys. i know wo a pic maybe kinda hard but any ideals are welcomed

drudown66
Fry

Back to top Go down

how long do you run your lights Empty Re: how long do you run your lights

Post  unconv-reefer 2011-01-15, 21:11

The light can especially if they are close to 6000-6500 output, this promotes growth more in plants.

I would like to be more helpful but I run T5 and don't/haven't had algae issues(in years)that being said I would run them closer to 8 hours for awhile, this should help you to control it a little better.

Also, usually this means you have too many nutrients, so how often are you feeding the tank and cleaning the glass. I know when I feed a lot of phyto I need to clean the glass once or twice a day, not bad I'm just picky.

Hope this helps a little
unconv-reefer
unconv-reefer
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  unconv-reefer 2011-01-15, 21:13

Also, how old is the tank, what parameters you know everything people ask for Very Happy
unconv-reefer
unconv-reefer
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  drudown66 2011-01-15, 21:15

Ya I hear ya. I'm kinda picky to normally I clean the glass everyother day or so but as of late I've been doing it at least once a day. I feed twice a day. They usally get pellets in the am and shrimp or some kind of meaty food at night if that helps at all. I'm pretty good at not over feeding and there's no food leftover after they eat really. Thanks for the help

drudown66
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2011-01-15, 23:27

Lighting and flow and over feeding will all have an effect on algae growth. How old are the lights? Old lights can cause algae growth.

On my 75 gal mixed reef tank I have two 250w mh's w/4 t5 actinics. I run the lights as follows
actinics on at 9:30 am
MH's on at 11 am
MH's off at 8:30 pm
actinics off at 9:45 pm

On my 90 gal tank I have 6 T5s- 2 actinic and 4 daylight
actinics on at 9:30 am
MH's on at 11 am
MH's off at 8:30 pm
actinics off at 10:00 pm

also running t5s on another tank and compact flourescents on two other tanks. All coming on about 10am and off at 10pm

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2011-01-15, 23:28

Are you using RO/DI water or tap?

When I was setting up my first tank, I was told that the first piece of equipment I had to have was an RO/DI unit and make my own water. Tap water will contribute to algae growth.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  unconv-reefer 2011-01-16, 13:34

Drud

Cut back on feeding, neither corals nor fish need to be fed twice a day, it won't hurt as long as your keeping up on w/c and high skimming. Many people feed 2-3 times a week. I feed once a day but in liquid form on one day and shrimp etc. the other but I also run a skimmer twice the size as my tank and don't mind the cleaning.

unless you have seahorses or something in that family.

Until it is under control, cut the light cycle back a tad too. Once you get it under control turn the lights on for 10-12 hrs, if the algae doesn't start to return you know it was feeding.

It's hard not to feed as the fish always act hungry.

This advice is assuming your parameters are fairly good and you don't have an overstocked tank, and a good skimmer i'm just going with the little info I have.
unconv-reefer
unconv-reefer
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down