I dont know what is going on...anyone knows?

+4
Big Fish Aquatics
Kaosu
Madness
dondud
8 posters

Go down

I dont know what is going on...anyone knows? Empty I dont know what is going on...anyone knows?

Post  dondud 2011-01-13, 23:01

My angels seem to be like congregating at the top.
Just noticed today. Dont know why..
Just did like a 50% water change and some of them are still hanging out at top.

Anyone has any ideas on what might be going on?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

I dont know what is going on...anyone knows? Empty Re: I dont know what is going on...anyone knows?

Post  Madness 2011-01-13, 23:06

looks like they are starving for air. I don't see any bubbles in your tank.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

I dont know what is going on...anyone knows? Empty Re: I dont know what is going on...anyone knows?

Post  Kaosu 2011-01-13, 23:06

could be low on oxygen, what type of filter do you have on the tank?
any bubblers?

how often do you clean your tank
what chemicals do you use
size of tank
fish in the tank

^_^ a little more information is needed before any help can be given
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2011-01-13, 23:12

It is a 55 GALLON tank and yes there are bubbles at the back. I mean they literally started doing it today.
I have Rena X2- and another Cascade filter.
I change it once a week

Dont really use chemicals except for pH buffer and some aquarium salts
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2011-01-13, 23:18

Plus its only the angels doing that..i has some rasboras, corys and plecos and they seem to be OK
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Fish Aquatics 2011-01-13, 23:39

hi friend i just saw your post here ,angels get their own kind of crud sometimes ,like the discus have their own thing ,

when i was an angel only hatchery i had thousands of them .sometimes they would stare of into the corner and fall over sideways the next day .all of my fish med facts and teachers are the Thai people ,my number one med is salt.non iodized ,either rock salt you make ice cream with or granules,
you can pay big bucks for aquarium salt or go to safe way.

when sick i dose them @a tablespoon per 10 gallons,and yes the air stone is a good idea.

i get fish from Thailand near dead sometimes ans i salt them almost to flavor with tons of air stones and they snap out of it ,i do a 25 %water change the next day.

i read a book 20 years ago and one thing that stood out after all these years was th phrase MOST GOOD IDEAS ARE SIMPLE just a suggestion i hope they pull through for you

jeff

Big Fish Aquatics

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2011-01-14, 12:03

Well i don't even know whats wrong with them for me to medicate them.
Hoping that it was that they were not getting enough Oxygen, i have added another aeration source.
Hopefully they are all swimming normal when i get home.
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2011-01-14, 12:19

I'd make sure your water perams are ok, maybe do another water change, add salt, and more bubbles wouldn't hurt either.. I has a similar thing happen with my severums and i added 2 more air pump and air disc and all was well after that.
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2011-01-14, 12:43

yes i will do that when i get back home.
i had also noticed like red streak around the body, the gill and around the mouth area.

SO i am hoping they will be ok until i get home and check my parameters.
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2011-01-14, 13:18

Make sure you test for ammonia. Red streaks around the gills can be an indicator of unsafe ammonia levels.

Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2011-01-14, 13:18

Not sure what the red means on angels but on rays, red means ammonia.. Better test for that.
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2011-01-14, 21:32

just had it tested. there was ammonia ...so did a water change again.
The fish which had the red stuff on the pectoral fins - i had aleady moved it to my other 55 gal.

I dont know whats going on. Went to the pet store and they advise me to do another water change. Just did another water change.
So i will see what happens
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2011-01-14, 22:55

It would be good to find out how you got the ammonia in the tank to prevent it from happening again.

Just a few of the standard questions:
How long has the tank been set up?
Was it cycled?
When you say you change the filter every week, do you exclude the bio-media?
What dechlorinator do you use?

Hmm, that's all I can think of. If you have ammonia in the tank, you'll need to watch for nitrites as well. I would cut back on the feeding until you get the parameters back to where they should be.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2011-01-14, 23:04

Hm...i think i must be overfeeding them. i feed them like a LOT twice...think i am going to cut down to one.
The tank have definitely been up 6 months
What does cycle mean again?
No, i change the Water every week and i change the filter every 2 months, and i am assuming i been cleaning the Bio filter as well

i Use this thing called NEUTRAL REGULATOR from Petsmart. It adjusts high or low pH to 7

Yea when i got my water tested, they said there were Nitrates too.

My main concern right now is that the Angelfishes are still up in the tank like they are suffocating. So this guy from a petstore asked me to try CLOUT.
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-01-14, 23:14

did you ask him why clout? I wouldn't use it. Cycling your tank means setting up a strong beneficial bacteria base. Usually found in your filter media. If your going to clean this, you need to do it in a bucket of tank water, NOT SINK WATER.

Neutral Regulator is not necessary unless your tap water is extremely high or low in ph.

You need to treat the new water with a good de chlorinator, and as I have learned lately, if you use water from the hot water tank, (meaning your not replacing the water straight from the cold side, your adding hot ) you need to add a strong rid metals. Something that will get the copper, iron, zinc, lead out of your water. You also should go get some beneficial bacteria and start your cycle again. Just ask the pet store for it.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2011-01-15, 14:58

So i checked my water again and everything seemed good except a little high in the Nirtate.

My angels are still hovering around at the top!
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2011-01-15, 16:51

I would grab a bottle of Cycle and also a bottle of prime.. Follow the instructions on the Cycle bottle and then use the prime after each water change.. I add 1 cap full for each 50 gallons and then one or 2 extra for the heck of it.. Lol. That should help you out, it's worked for me for years.
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic 2011-01-15, 20:56

Wow, so much product being recommended. I agree with Jeff that simple is often best. With that in mind, it seems you let the ammonia get out of control. Do you have your own test kit? You should, you have too much at stake to rely on sporadic tests at Petsmartco. Many times, they are using outdated strips that are inaccurate. And then their answer is to sell you more product, neutral regulator seems to be one of their favorites.

In my opinion a minimal test kit for this area, with pretty good water, is ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. PH might be important when setting up, but I seldom need it after that. I believe the liquid tests are more accurate and more cost effective, but both types have expiration dates on them. Heed these dates - they don't last forever. If you do use the strips, make sure to open the container with dry hands, and then close it tightly. Moisture degrades them.

To heal your fish from their recent ammonia stress, I would keep doing frequent water changes and extra aeration, regular testing to be sure you are changing enough water, less food like you said, perhaps some salt, and keep a close eye on them. The clout would be for a bacterial infection, I think. That might be appropriate if they get worse, but it might be unneeded with the above.

And like Betty said, you need to try to determine why the ammonia got so high. Perhaps the tank is overstocked - it is easy to do, especially when fish are growing.

Hope your fish are better soon.

Vic
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2011-01-15, 23:19

Yea i got the Master Kit.
think my tank is overcrwoded....
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic 2011-01-15, 23:31

Well then, remember that Petco is having their buck a gallon sale again. Twisted Evil

Vic
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dondud 2011-01-16, 02:15

HAHAHA...i am thinking of downsizing fishes!!
already have 2 55 and 2 10s....and i live in a hella small apartment!!!
lol
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TexAveri 2011-01-16, 02:53

How many angelfish erm well fish in general in that 55?
TexAveri
TexAveri
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down