Doza
lars on
sidekicking
hobbyorobsession
9 posters

Go down

floating snail? Empty floating snail?

Post  hobbyorobsession 2010-11-13, 21:37

im new to snails, and after keeping them for several months in my planted tank ive come accrost something i haven't seen yet. one is floating in the center on my tank, is this a good indication that it is dead? or is something else going on here?
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

floating snail? Empty Re: floating snail?

Post  sidekicking 2010-11-13, 21:51

I think his dead
None of my snails float, try smelling it dead snails smell really really bad
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lars on 2010-11-13, 22:03

If its an apple or trapdoor snail, it could possibly have an air bubble trapped in its shell. We have one and when he floats we call him the "LEVATATING SNAILLLLL", just flip it upside down and that should force the bubble out. Or it could be dead, one or the other. (: just my advice
lars on
lars on
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  lars on 2010-11-13, 22:31

You should also get some saltwater calcium suppliment cause lots of snails shells erode after time and can kill them, was thinkin about our apple snail earlier and thought that could be useful to ya (:
lars on
lars on
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  Doza 2010-11-13, 23:08

the only time i have snails that float is when they are dead.. Usually it is when i have a tank that has been empty for a while and than i refill it and all the snails that were in the tank float up because they died off and their shell get replaced with air so when i fill the tank again all the snails that were in the tank float up...

My snails are malaysian trumpets...
I have been colecting all the nice sized snails i find... I figure they look good enought for some sort of jewlery..
Doza
Doza
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2010-11-13, 23:27

this mystery snail is more mysterious by the moment, no odor, when manipulated no bubbles. i can definatly pick up some calcium supplements thanks for the tip lars, he seems to come out when i have the lights off for a while but stranded in the center of the tank
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-11-13, 23:34

Smaller pond and ramshorn snails will crawl upside down on the water surface. It really looks odd........Is it floating mid level or what level in the water column?
I have heard of a mystery snail playing in an airstone, he would crawl up to it and get swept up by the bubbles, land somewhere and do it again..... They can be.... unique sometimes.
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2010-11-13, 23:37

its at the waters surface
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-11-13, 23:42

Upside-down? Looking like hes crawling on the glass but on the water surface? If so thats normal and nothing to be concerned about.
You may want to increase the surface agitation though, if snails can cling to it your probably not getting decent gas exchange.
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2010-11-14, 00:10

it is rightside up,, i'll redirect my output nozzles and see where he is at later tonight
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-11-14, 01:09

Hmm Got me stumped! Keep us posted so we all can learn from this!
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  Doza 2010-11-14, 01:11

how about a picture?
Doza
Doza
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  icer711 2010-11-14, 02:14

depend on what kinda snail it is.... i have see some let go of the bottom on the tank and rise all the way to the top....trapped air i think in the shell...but if they smell very fowl and you will know when you smell it then they have passed..
icer711
icer711
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2010-11-15, 00:56

Its clung to the glass once more. So no longer floating, if he lets go ill take pictures. But I'll still keep an eye on this one .
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-11-15, 01:01

Make sure the PH is not low.
Acid erode the shell.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dkpate 2010-11-15, 03:53

My mystery TRIES to float, but she's too big now. She does do this kind of side float thing when she is on the bottom, or I take her down to feed her, but she will press those bubbles out of her shell eventually. One way I can usually get her to come out of her shell is to hold her in my hand under water, or hold her up against the glass.

Also, if you want a good cheap shell supplement, get some cuttle bone (bird stuff) and use a cheese grater to make it powdery (works better if you get it wet first), and put about 1/2 tsp in every 2 weeks or so. You can also just bury half the cuttle bone in the substrate. I can't believe how much better my snails shells look just because of the extra calcium.

Like stated before, they will smell terrible when they are dead, and you will know.

My malaysian trumpet snails float on the surface ALL THE TIME, and so do my ramshorn quite often. The only ones that never float are the assassin snails.
dkpate
dkpate
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-11-15, 04:06

dkpate wrote:My mystery TRIES to float, but she's too big now. She does do this kind of side float thing when she is on the bottom, or I take her down to feed her, but she will press those bubbles out of her shell eventually. One way I can usually get her to come out of her shell is to hold her in my hand under water, or hold her up against the glass.

Also, if you want a good cheap shell supplement, get some cuttle bone (bird stuff) and use a cheese grater to make it powdery (works better if you get it wet first), and put about 1/2 tsp in every 2 weeks or so. You can also just bury half the cuttle bone in the substrate. I can't believe how much better my snails shells look just because of the extra calcium.

Like stated before, they will smell terrible when they are dead, and you will know.

My malaysian trumpet snails float on the surface ALL THE TIME, and so do my ramshorn quite often. The only ones that never float are the assassin snails.

to add: seashells, CC, even empty snail shells can add calcium to the water.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gosu 2010-11-15, 05:51

my snails float often! and eat the floating food, till they reach a wall again and or roll from the filter
Gosu
Gosu

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-11-15, 12:43

coral or shell is much safer to use than cuttle bone. The cuttle bone erodes too switly and can mess with your parameters.
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  dkpate 2010-11-16, 06:47

I use cuttle, and have for over a year, and it changes nothing with my parameters. But do as you want, I have never had a problem.
dkpate
dkpate
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2010-11-24, 00:12

snail update: running around on the glass with no apparent problems, has not floated since the first and only episode, ive add some crushed coral to my canister filter to buff up my calcium, makes me think about keeping africans again.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down