Anyone with Killifish Breeding experience

+3
Mikey
Kianna
lilfishie
7 posters

Go down

Anyone with Killifish Breeding experience Empty Anyone with Killifish Breeding experience

Post  lilfishie 2010-05-08, 01:50

I Went to Portland a couple weekends ago for the Killifish convention and picked up a few different species. Plans are to breed them. Just wondering if there is anyone in the area experienced in breeding them. I've done some reading and have a good idea, but if anyone has any extra tidbits of info, it would be a great help. I have made a couple spawning mops and placed them in the tanks. We'll see if I find any eggs in them.
The species I have are Aphyosemian Astrales, Aphyosemian Bivittatum, Fundulopanchax Sjoestedti Niger Delta and Fundulopanchas Fallax.
Thanks
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Anyone with Killifish Breeding experience Empty Re: Anyone with Killifish Breeding experience

Post  Guest 2010-05-08, 10:43

I thought they were livebearers? Well ytou know more then me if you have done more then just a little reading.

Back to top Go down

Anyone with Killifish Breeding experience Empty Re: Anyone with Killifish Breeding experience

Post  Guest 2010-05-08, 11:22

Now that I think of it I'm confusing them with halfbeaks.

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-05-08, 12:45

No they do lay eggs. Some of them are kind of, not difficult really, just time intensive and closely observed because some species needs to let eggs dry first for a period of time and then placed back in water to get them to hatch. That may be only to recreate the natural process. In their natural habbitat, their water source dries up for a period, the adult fish die and during the next rainy season the eggs hatch, they grow up fast lay eggs and then the next dry period it starts all over again. Maybe it doesnt have to be done that way. The ones I have dont go thru that process. They are a little easier at least. I've never seen eggs from them and not sure what to look for, but I guess maybe I'll know it when I see them.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-05-08, 17:44

Well good luck. Sounds like you are the resident killi expert.

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-05-09, 00:22

HAHAHAHA, well maybe if I have any success with them.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-05-09, 00:37

Time will tell. It sounds like your on the right path, informing yourself and doing the right research are the first stepping stones and then first hand experiance with documentation and records of trials and errors is the best form of research you can get. Ask any experianced breeder and they will tell you the same thing. So if you make progress and have a positive out come you can teach us. Thank you for thinking outside of the box. And going with a fish that is not as common.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kianna 2010-06-02, 12:28

Just curious how your breeding is coming along since you last posted?? I've gotten some Nothobranchius rachovii Beira 98 eggs that I'm gonna attempt hatching in the next couple of weeks so I've been searching for all the info I can. Very Happy
Kianna
Kianna
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-06-02, 13:22

Actually, I haven't had a chance to do anything yet. Still accumulating small tanks and cycling them to put them in to lay eggs. Or to move the eggs to. I dont have any species that needs dry periods. Most all my females are looking pretty fat though. Hopefully laying soon.

If I remember correctly Notho's need a dry period. The breeder should have sent instructions or at least given you the date the eggs were laid and collected and approx date for rehydrating them.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Anyone with Killifish Breeding experience Empty We have babies

Post  lilfishie 2010-07-06, 22:46

Well we have baby Fundulopanchax fallax killi's. I counted only 3 but again could be more. Wasn't expecting but I am prepared for them. They are all eyes yet. Too small to photograph but I'll try.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-07-06, 23:10

Well heres the best pics I could get

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by lilfishie on 2010-07-10, 20:53; edited 2 times in total
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey 2010-07-07, 01:20

CONGRATULATIONS! They look very cool:)
Mikey
Mikey
Contributing Member

http://www.wafishbox.com

Back to top Go down

Post  baglel10 2010-07-10, 18:21

can you post a pics of the parents? plz king
baglel10
baglel10
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-07-10, 20:49

baglel10 wrote:can you post a pics of the parents? plz king

Absolutely Oh and I am counting 4 of them.
Fundulopanchax fallax
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-07-18, 01:14

Well getting a better look at these babies and they are looking more like the bosemani rainbowfish.

I need to set up a few breed specific breeding tanks so I know what I have for babies.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sonicdog 2010-11-03, 21:12

Hi, just saw your thread! I'm no expert, but have kept a few strains over the years. Give a shout if you wanna compare notes. Sweet looking F. fallax btw. I was just sifting through the threads looking for killie posts.
cheers,
wendy

Sonicdog
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-11-04, 00:35

You've got to be kidding. There is actually someone else interested in killie's.
I've been pretty busy with my salt water set up but I am setting up tanks in the other room to eventually start breeding. I have a pair of F.Sjoestedti Niger Delta that I want to breed first.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sonicdog 2010-11-04, 12:35

Like looking fish! I have not ever kept those particulars. I hatched out some easy beginner F. gardneri from a breeder right across the border in BC a few years back; they make great trading fodder. They grew like weeds, ate everything in sight and eventually spawned in both peat and mops. I think the guys you have are a bit more fussy, but extremely rewarding, and when you grow up those fry, your pairs will be in demand. Sheesh, last time I went to WCW I came home with waaay too many fish. I have to admit that australes are one of my favorites (goofy and curious), and they rock in a natural setup. Are yours orange or chocolate? Trial and error, with general guidelines from peeps who knew way more than me worked well for most. Except for Nothos... I think I don't or didn't have the patience.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] --> check it out. Nice thumbprint guides to the species with input from all sorts of breeders. I "try" and make it a habit of checking before I impulse buy..heh.. killies.
There are some way cool killie folk here in the NW; I would be surprised if they aren't also lurking here. Good web list too. Ack I am geeking-out all over the place.
cheers!

Sonicdog
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-11-04, 12:42

I had an absolutely beautiful A. Australe(choc). He was quite old. Around 4-5 years old. He passed a while back. Still have a young pair. They are only a year old, but not nearly a pretty as my old guy. I really wish I had taken the time to breed him. I need to get around to breeding the others before they get too old. I met the killi group from canada last march down in portland at the WCW. Yeah, I came home with more fish than I needed to. Sold or actually traded my bivitattums a few weeks ago. I think he is getting rid of his tank along with the fish. I may try to get them back.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-11-04, 16:38

The patterns and colors on those fish are pretty cool. Kind of like a kid who just took a crayon to the fish. Ha.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-11-04, 18:36

Thats what drew me to these two species of killi's. The Sjoestedti's are good size fish too. He is about 6.5-7" long. Their pectoral fins are long and look like wings IMO. They are very graceful looking.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-11-05, 14:12

Wow thats way bigger then I was thinking I thought maybe like 2-3 inches. Sorry my noobness is showing lol.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  stierwalt3 2010-11-28, 01:02

Hey Lilfishie, He did get rid of his tank and the Killies and now I have them...so their still in the family so to speak! Wink So what can you tell me about these little guys!? Any idea how old,Male,female,ect!? I can't wait to do more research myself! bounce
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down