Fanwort (Cabomba sp.) in WA (Plant ID)

2 posters

Go down

Fanwort (Cabomba sp.) in WA (Plant ID) Empty Fanwort (Cabomba sp.) in WA (Plant ID)

Post  MattArmstrong 2014-09-03, 00:11

I bought an unidentified plant from my LFS thinking it was hornwort, but it turns out it is some form of fanwort.
It seems like Cabomba caroliniana (Green fanwort) is banned in WA but the other Cabomba sp. are not.  For now let's assume I bought a legal plant and it isn't green fanwort.
Does this look like the red form (C. furcata) to any of you?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In that picture, I notice the tips and stems are a bit red, and the flowers look slightly red.
Assuming C. furcata, I've read descriptions that say it can be finicky and needs high light to do well.  I'd rather stick to bullet proof fast growers that don't necessarily need the high light high tech treatment, as I'm just starting my first attempt at a Walstad method tank.

Last edited by MattArmstrong on 2014-09-03, 00:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarify thread title)

MattArmstrong
Fry

Back to top Go down

Fanwort (Cabomba sp.) in WA (Plant ID) Empty Re: Fanwort (Cabomba sp.) in WA (Plant ID)

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-09-03, 15:53

Kinda looks like Purple Cabomba to me, as there's some sort of purplish coloration towards the tips... the green is also a darkish green, which is seen in purple cabomba as well. Green Cabomba (like you've stated, which is illegal here in Washington state), has a lighter green color in their leaves. Smile

And while we're on the topic... Red Cabomba is noticeably red, there's almost no way to mistake it with the other two (Purple, and Green Cabomba) Very Happy

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Fanwort (Cabomba sp.) in WA (Plant ID) Empty Re: Fanwort (Cabomba sp.) in WA (Plant ID)

Post  MattArmstrong 2014-09-03, 23:54

PokeSephiroth wrote:Kinda looks like Purple Cabomba to me, as there's some sort of purplish coloration towards the tips... the green is also a darkish green, which is seen in purple cabomba as well. Green Cabomba (like you've stated, which is illegal here in Washington state), has a lighter green color in their leaves. Smile

And while we're on the topic... Red Cabomba is noticeably red, there's almost no way to mistake it with the other two (Purple, and Green Cabomba) Very Happy

Ahhh, yes.  So "Purple Cabomba" is Cabomba pulcherrima.  When I Google that name I get a lot of plants that look like my plant.  Thanks!

There is also a lot of mis-information, or at least inconsistent information.  E.g. several pages call Cabomba pulcherrima "Cabomba purple red" (which is bound to confuse people) or even "Cabomba red".  Though *most* pages call Cabomba furcata "Red cabomba."

One page says this C. pulcherrima is "not for beginners as they need a constant supply of fertilizer and CO2 supplementation to grow strong and healthy."  Not what I'm looking for as a starter for a low-tech Walstad style.  whistle

MattArmstrong
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-09-04, 13:19

Names can get tricky when Common Names are used, I'm glad you were able to identify it with its scientific name, because I couldn't remember it's scientific name off the top of my head when I made that reply LOL!

I have purple cabomba growing in a dirted tank and it grows pretty well. No ferts and no pressurized co2 in that tank. I'd say it also has about medium light... the dirt takes care of everything, thankfully!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down