South American Puffer (Colomesus Assellus)

5 posters

Go down

South American Puffer (Colomesus Assellus) Empty South American Puffer (Colomesus Assellus)

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-08-22, 15:18

Where. Can. I. Buy. Them?!?!?
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

South American Puffer (Colomesus Assellus) Empty Re: South American Puffer (Colomesus Assellus)

Post  DMD123 2014-08-22, 15:22

If only there was a store that could order them....  whistle 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

South American Puffer (Colomesus Assellus) Empty Re: South American Puffer (Colomesus Assellus)

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-08-22, 15:24

Believe me, we've been looking for them already. Still on the lookout for them at the co op as far as I know, wholesellers haven't carried them in a while. Must be seasonal.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-22, 16:10

Likelihood seasonal. When I was shopping for my hairy puffer I was look for an Arrowhead and could not find any. Talked with a puffer forum person and pretty much found they are seasonal and you got to get them while you see them.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-08-22, 19:23

I'm not surprised. These awesome puffers are wanted! I can't wait to see which store will have them first!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  hose91 2014-08-24, 13:21

Looks like late fall is the prime season here corresponding with the rainy season in their wild habitats, bringing them out of their dry season hole up spots. Also, my weekly update from Wet Spot shows them as new arrivals. They've got 2" fish for sale at $20 each.

hose91
hose91
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-08-24, 16:01

I changed my mind. I don't want then anymore as I've read stories of people having to trim their teeth regardless of them feeding hard shelled foods. That's a commitment I'm not willing to do. Even if it is every other couple months.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  hose91 2014-08-24, 19:31

Yeah, but they stay pretty small, are active swimmers vice lurkers, and they seem to be more amenable to a group of them in a species only type tank. It seems the teeth thing can be kept in check for the most part. I dunno, it scares me a bit, but I may try them anyway. I'm leaning towards 3 of them in a 40B sometime this fall.
hose91
hose91
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-24, 19:49

They are ones like Poke said that require a bit of dental care even when fed snails. I love the way they look but I too would not want to have to trim the teeth down.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-08-24, 20:05

Poke I'll hook you up ( good deal) on a dragon..... Mine are still fighting and I need to relocate ine
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-08-24, 20:53

Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately I don't think I have the tank room to keep a dragon puffer. I've already got a red spotter puffer in a 26 gallon tank that I'm still contemplating about if I want to keep it it not :-( it's a lurker, but definitely not as active as I would like. It literally just stays in one spot all day. ALL DAY. lol.

I am happy with my new pea puffer tank though. So I think that will keep me puffer fill for now.

The problem with the South American puffers is that even if you feed them hard shelled foods (snails, clams, shrimp, etc...) their teeth still grow pretty fast. Faster than you can keep up. Which I find odd, I mean in the wild, food must be scarce, so how are they managing to keep their teeth filed in the wild?! Lol

Anyway, if these do pop up in a certain local store, it may win me over. :-p
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-09-04, 18:25

Some informative info about these little guys Smile
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The one and only sentence that really stood out for me was this:
"They also have a fast growing teeth that will at one time or another need to be physically clipped. Even with the proper diet in an aquarium setting it is inevitable that you will need to clip their teeth."

........ yeah. no. I can't... I'd be too nervous. What if I accidentally cut off their entire head?! OMG. :'(
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-09-05, 14:08

Who clips their teeth in the wild? There must be a way to mimic their wild habitat so you don't have to physically clip the fishes teeth....
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-09-05, 14:20

That's what I was thinking... I mean, let's assume that we feed them shelled foods EVERYDAY.... that means that it should file down their teeth daily.

In the wild, I'd assume that they don't eat as often because I'm pretty sure food is scarce (at least, if you only limit it to shelled foods) . . . so, yeah, how are they keeping their teeth trimmed?

I'm assuming that the people on the internets are having to do all this dentistry because they don't feed their puffers shelled foods daily, because, that itself would be WAY expensive in the long run. Think, Hank... but on a way smaller scale.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down