Set up of a (hopefully) temp 20 Long ...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Set up of a (hopefully) temp 20 Long ...

Post  dwarfpike on 2014-04-21, 01:46

So, for those that didn't see my last tank update, I lost my pair of dwarf acaras the last time I was out of town. As sad as that was, the best thing to do is get back on the horse as it were. I actually grabbed my second 20 long out of storage, because I hated the way the spray paint looked on the current tank. I lack Angelman's spray skills it seems. This time I went for a latex paint and a roller, looks 100,000 times better.

Pardon the garage mess, multifamily home:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Painted the side facing the door as well, so as not to spook the fish:

Spent almost an hour trying out various driftwood configurations:

Trying out the Co-Op sand ... liking it quite a bit:

I obviously need to hire an interior decorator:

Just getting the plants in from the old tank before the water turns to ice in the bucket and get a layout idea:

I used SeaChem Stability, as I've had great luck with it in the past. A friend wanted a video of it's use, as he said to "Shake it like a blood parrot breeder" ... but I didn't feel like a minute of solid bleeped swearing would have added much to the thread, despite the use of Irish Gaelic. I'm kind of old school (and hate cannister filters) so filtration is a sponge and a Penguin 170.

Trimmed some of the bad leaves while waiting for the fish to acclaimate, though still need to do more. I will probably wait til moving the pants into their final positions. I already moved one from the previous picture. Definitely not a plant guy.

These little buggers are hard to get a good pic of!!! Never stop moving, delicate coloration. They are out of focus here, but actually caught a good amount of the blue from there eyes which is hard to do. Norman's Lampeyes, Aplocheilichthys normani.
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Set up of a (hopefully) temp 20 Long ...

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-04-21, 02:03

And he's back.  cheers - YAY!!
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike on 2014-04-21, 02:04

Thanks  cheers ... but I'll consider it back when there are some cichlids in there!!  lol! 
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CMooreCichlids on 2014-04-21, 02:39

Cant wait to see this tank develop. Almost thinking I need to do some sweet talking with my wife.
CMooreCichlids
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike on 2014-04-21, 02:47

Those blue eye might turn the trick, they are really noticable across the room. Heck, here's a reject photo of them ... too dark to make out much but two blue eyes. I sit about 5 feet away from the tank at the computer, and the blue is REALLY noticable.

dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal on 2014-04-21, 06:54

Glad to see you with a tank set up again and I think your aquascaping looks great. Love mopani wood. Depending on how well aged that wood is there might be some tannin color coming into your tank. It never bothers me and usually doesn't bother the fish either. Those look like nice little fish to start with also and I agree...the smaller fish can be very hard to capture with pictures.
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike on 2014-04-21, 14:08

Thanks Donna ... sadly, this mopani had been in the other tank for two years ... so all the tanins have been leached. Thanfully, I'm targeting a more neutral pH Westie. I have a lot of driftwood stored, but wanted to try and keep the West African theme with the plants and wood and blue eyes. I don't usually go full blown biotope, but I do try and keep it themed.
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike on 2014-05-07, 00:20

I pulled the far right mopani for a different piece to add some height as well as more caves for when the cichlids arrive. Also grabbed another anubias from the co-op and propped the left piece more upright with a couple of small stones. Lampeyes up to 10 now. Just need a few more petite anubias and track down some of those short african ferns to help hide equipment ... and a lily for the centerpiece and to break up that last sight line in case of aggression.

dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-05-07, 00:36

Spot On looks nice. I think a red lotus (lily) would make for an awesome center piece.
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike on 2014-05-07, 00:41

Yeah, I think it will as well. Hopefully I'll get lucky and you'll find a bulb.  Spot On 

Here is the same pic showcasing my amazing MS Paint skills to show what I'm thinking in terms of what I mean ... no laughing!!!  Embarassed 

dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike on 2014-07-21, 12:37

dwarfpike wrote:Hopefully I'll get lucky and you'll find a bulb.  Spot On 

Luck has indeed happened!!! A rogue red tiger lily bulb sprouted in fishNAbowl's tank and he was nice enough to send it my way. Along with an anubias and some african fern. Sorry for the long delay in updating, busy couple of months with several birthdays and highland games to attend. Since a lot has changed, I thought I'd break it into two posts. This first is the non-picture update since the lights are off and the fish recovering from the water change and planting from today.

The first development was a small outbreak of brown gunk on the sand ... which was swiftly dealt with by the three amano shrimp I got on a trip to the Co-Op. Next was a heater replacement due to temp fluctuations, 'downgrading' from 100W to a 75W just in case it ever sticks on. Less power means slower fish stew and being on the second floor with full southern exposure means keeping temp up is rarely an issue. In fact, overheating is quite a problem with our unusually warm weather so far this year.

I believe the high temps (tank got to 84F sat before last with the heater unplugged), the missed WC's due to being out of town, and the high light (with low light, slow growing plants) sprang up a blue/green (cyanobacteria) bloom. Luckily, it too was very mild thanks to throwing in my window AC unit and keeping the lights off and stepped up water changes. I do believe the high heat did claim at least one of the blue eyes sadly. The day temps are still hitting 78F even with the window AC (since I can't run it all the time due to work, high electric bill, ect), the heater unplugged, and my Power Compact Fluorescent fixture finally giving out (I think I got it in '99 or there abouts).

Also added some bio-balls to the second slot of my Penguin 170 on a lark and the theory that there is never such thing as too much surface area for biological filtration.

Have seen a few small snails, but nothing worrisome. A few holes in some of the anubias plants though had me pick up some Flourish in case of what is most likely a nutrient deficentcy. Today I grabbed an inexpensive light fixture and a replacement lampeye since fishNAbowl let me tag along to the Co-Op.

But the big news of course is the fact the stars of the tank have arrived thanks to Cory. So after they settle from all the hands in the tank today, I will try to get some pics tomorrow night of the new plants and the cichlids!!!

Though if you want a sneak peak, you can look at last month's PotM thread.  Spot On
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 on 2014-07-21, 13:38

Very nice progression! I have an empty 20L sitting around and this is giving me some ideas...
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike on 2014-07-21, 13:48

DMD123 wrote:Very nice progression! I have an empty 20L sitting around and this is giving me some ideas...

Thanks!

You can't always fit an extra 240 into a 30" or 36" space ... sometimes dwarf cichlids are indeed the best option. A lot of people assume I only like dwarf cichlids which isn't true, I'd love a large central or pike cichlid tank. I just don't have the room currently, dwarf cichlids can scratch that itch for pairing fish in that small space available. Plus, it's nice having some natural green (and red) in the tank. Plus, a good excuse for keeping pretty little dithers that most cichlid keepers are embarrassed to admit liking.  whistle 
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 on 2014-07-21, 14:10

dwarfpike wrote:You can't always fit an extra 240 into a 30" or 36" space ...

If you have 36" of space.... a 36 x 36 x 36 cube would be 200 gallons!  Very Happy 
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike on 2014-07-21, 14:19

DMD123 wrote:
dwarfpike wrote:You can't always fit an extra 240 into a 30" or 36" space ...

If you have 36" of space.... a 36 x 36 x 36 cube would be 200 gallons!  Very Happy 

haha 

Still wouldn't want to keep a bocourti in it though!!!
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 on 2014-07-21, 15:18

When I had a small space but wanted a semi big tank I went with a breeder base so it was 36 x 18. I also had a 30 x 18 that was a 56g column. There are some cool options...
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike on 2014-07-21, 15:27

I love breeder tanks! I have both a 40 and 50 breeder, though I am trying to hunt down a 30 breeder for the reduced height/weight. A few years ago I say a 30"x18" 30 gallon, wish I had snagged it. Still regret that.

I wish we had access to the Deep Blue Professional tanks out here ... their frag tanks are perfect for cichlids. A 36"x24"x12" 45 gallon, a 48"x24"x12" 65 gallon tank, and a 48"x24"x16" 85 gallon tank. But as I understand it, they only supply the wrong coast, not the West coast.  Cursing 
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal on 2014-07-21, 15:46

Congrats on the arrival of your new fishes. I can't wait to see them
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid on 2014-07-21, 16:19

the layout looks really good, and I am looking forward to seeing pic too. I like the minimal design, should make the fish really eye-catching
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx on 2014-07-21, 19:32

pics or it didnt happen! Smile the design is great tho. really like it so far. glad to see another avid dwarf keeper around these parts. keep up the good work
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-07-22, 00:18

Anthraxx wrote:pics or it didnt happen! Smile the design is great tho. really like it so far. glad to see another avid dwarf keeper around these parts. keep up the good work

Plus One
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike on 2014-07-22, 02:21

Wait a sec, I got the new plants from you fishNAbowl!!! You know it happened!!!  haha Thanks again for the plants. Now I need to buy some patience while they plants grow and fill in.  Puffy  

Normal lighting:

Full lighting:

Side view from bed:

The white specs in the last shot are frozen daphnia in an attempt to lure out the divas that are my dwarves. Alas, no luck. However, I do have pics from when I first got them, so the female isn't colored up yet but you can see how they earned their first name from the female ... Pelvicachromis sp. bluefin. They have since been put into their own genus as they are believed to be a bridge species between Pelvicachromis and Parananochromis.

Enigmatochromis lucanusi male:

Enigmatochromis lucanusi female:

Enigmatochromis lucanusi pair:
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal on 2014-07-22, 09:09

Gorgeous and your tank setup is perfect for them. Formerly known as Pelvicachromis sp. "Blue Fin" until reclassified. Beautiful markings and coloration on your fish. I know it will be an exciting day for you when you see the tiny fry swimming around the wood with mom and dad protecting them.
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-07-22, 09:25

dwarfpike wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lotus - please don't melt please don't melt please don't melt...

dwarfpike wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

bounce - Awesome photo!!
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike on 2014-07-22, 14:09

cichlid-gal wrote:Gorgeous and your tank setup is perfect for them.  Formerly known as Pelvicachromis sp. "Blue Fin" until reclassified.  Beautiful markings and coloration on your fish.   I know it will be an exciting day for you when you see the tiny fry swimming around the wood with mom and dad protecting them.  

Thanks! The male cruises underneath the mopani wood, he's created quite a little network. The female has already colored up, and if you look at the bottom of the side view to the stone that's propping up the wood (where the flake food landed is her entrance), she has since the picture was taken at 11ish last night now been spitting out sand and there's a little dune as high as the anubias rhizome.

fishNAbowl wrote:Lotus - please don't melt please don't melt please don't melt...

Wait, they melt?!?!?!  Cursing 

I did add root tabs all around the area I put the lotus since my substrate is just sand. Hope that helps it.
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike on 2014-08-14, 15:59

Well, a little update. The red tiger lotus didn't melt!!!  cheers And has even put out several new leaves which is good, but the older leaves are losing that vibrant red coloration. Upping the time the second light is on and upping Flourish additions.

Grabbing an in focus pic of the dithers is darn near impossible with this point and shoot camera. They are so tiny and quick. Did get one that is only a lot out of focus (instead of the usual blur) but does show some of the blues on the tail and eye off nicely I think:

The female is still proving to be an elusive target, and her colors don't show up well at all in the pics.  She's a bit out of focus here as I was focusing on the male in this shot since it showed the more rounded pectoral fin which is a large reason these guys were seperated from Pelvicachromis:

And this is the best, in focus shot I have of the female thus far even though she's partial hidden by the tank frame:

Sadly, either this camera or the photographer aren't up to getting the two shots I wanted ... their sand sifting and the female presenting her belly to the male. Ah well.
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-08-14, 20:48

Shocked - oooohhhhh, aaa[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So very nice my friend. This is an awesome set up and I love the fish choice!

Your lotus is growing normally. I would keep doing whatever it is that your doing and not change anything. The new leaves look healthy, it's got continuous growth. The old leaves will deteriorate as new leaves come in. And the new leaves should get bigger, and bigger until it's a giant plant. If it gets too big Poke has a good thread on how to manage the Lotus.  Spot On
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike on 2014-08-15, 15:36

Thanks fishNAbowl ... I guess I just miss the deep red for the new leaves and was hoping the larger leaves would stay that color instead of the more olive color they are becoming.
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-08-15, 15:59

OH, yeah... They should all be "deep red". This is a "Tiger" so it should be RED on DARK RED/ near black. If theyes are becoming "olive" color then iron supplement or lighting may need adjusted.
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike on 2014-08-15, 16:04

Yeah, you can see in the lampeye pic above, the leaf on the far right is one of the old ones that was out when I got it from you ... you can see the far half of the leaf more of an olive compared to the closer half which still has more red.

The lights have been off a fair bit due to the heat, but hopefully the hottest parts are behind us so I can keep a more regular schedule. You are right, there is a lot of new growth which is good, so I hope more Flourish for the iron and more intense lighting will help keep them more red.
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum