Java moss removal, LOL

2 posters

Go down

Java moss removal, LOL Empty Java moss removal, LOL

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-02, 11:29

I think I already know the answer to this question however I thought I would give it a shot, lol.

Starting to think the worse thing I could have done in the evolution of my planted 140 gallon 7' tank is introduce Java moss. Java moss was never in my actual overall plan but was used experimentally as a nitrate scrubber. Now I wish to get rid of it. Get rid of without a tear down, without distributing my existing aquascape, or hurting current residents. I would like to start adding different mosses and not have to pick Java out of everything every time I trim. And of course this moss inter tangles with every other type of moss that's introduced.

Any suggestions?
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Java moss removal, LOL Empty Re: Java moss removal, LOL

Post  pbmax 2014-04-02, 11:45

Fingers or tweezers.  Neutral  If you tug on it gently it'll usually come out in larger pieces.  Of course in your situation you may have to put on your trunks and jump in...  Shocked

Those long-handled grabbers might help, but it'll be awfully tedious to do it that way I think.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-02, 11:54

pbmax wrote:Fingers or tweezers.  Neutral  If you tug on it gently it'll usually come out in larger pieces.  Of course in your situation you may have to put on your trunks and jump in...  Shocked

Those long-handled grabbers might help, but it'll be awfully tedious to do it that way I think.

Well that's the way I have been doing it. I also have large patches of ferns and of course Java moss is completely entangled. I hear you on the jumping in deal, it's surely a job at this point, lol. The moss looks neat veining along the woods however it doesn't stay like that. I have some weeping moss on its way and don't want the 2 species to get mixed up.

The cool thing about all this is I am beginning to get real good about recognizing different species of mosses because of picking Java out of the other existing types in the tank, lol.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-02, 12:01

Here a picture , you can see Java on everything. I've recently pulled patches off the large wood on the right. Can see a bit of Fissidens on the wood below.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Reminds me of a Franks hot sauce  radio commercial.

JAVA, that sh*t grows on everything, lol,
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-04-02, 12:07

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of java moss any more - it takes a good amount of work to keep it looking good and out of everyone else's business. I can't imagine trying to maintain it in a tank of that size!  affraid 
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down