Snails Love Bushy Plants...Um...What?

4 posters

Go down

Snails Love Bushy Plants...Um...What? Empty Snails Love Bushy Plants...Um...What?

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-10, 01:19

In two of my tanks (10 Gallon and 20 Long) I have Malaysian Trumpet Snails, and Ramshorn Snails (well, I basically have both of those snails in all of my tanks...)

Anyway, I've noticed that in the 10 gallon, the ramshorn snails like to hang out in the Ambulia plant, kinda looks like a hotel. It doesn't seem like they're damaging the plant at all, but just "hanging out" . . . also seems like it's just the smaller baby snails that hang out on the ambulia.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Then, in the 15 Gallon Column, I have a clump of Fissidens Moss that fishNAbowl gave me a while back, and it looks like the Malaysian Trumpet Snails are lodging in it, on it, all over it! Oddly enough, it's just the Malaysian Trumpet Snails that are staying in that bunch of Fissidens Moss.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm assuming that a clump of eggs was laid on the plants and things just took of from there...but it's been like that for MONTHS now, so...yeah, it's weird. I've never seen this activity in snails before, has anyone else experienced this in their tanks/plants before?

The 10 Gallon tank only has shrimp in it, so I don't think the snails are grouping together in terms of safety since there's really no threat in their tank.
The 15 Gallon Column tank does have fish, but really small fish (neon tetras, etc)...
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Snails Love Bushy Plants...Um...What? Empty Re: Snails Love Bushy Plants...Um...What?

Post  MRTom 2014-03-10, 02:09

My ramshorns climb all over my java fern, fissidens, guppy grass, star grass and anything in between. I was hanging a snail trap once, and the trap was tied with a fishing line. The snails climbed the line itself too, albeit i only saw a few small tiny ones do it. So fwiw, I've seen this behavior.

If you have a puffer tank, pull the plants and let the puffers work on the snails for a few days. I'm not saying they'll clean the plants, but it will be fun to watch your puffers hunt Very Happy
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Snails Love Bushy Plants...Um...What? Empty Re: Snails Love Bushy Plants...Um...What?

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-10, 02:30

It's just weird, that the snails would generally hang out on those two plants. They don't hang out in the java moss, or baby tears (not dwarf baby tears), etc...

I don't have any pea puffers................yet, but that does sound like a fun idea! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-03-10, 09:42

Angelo....the snails are congregating where food particles are being trapped...or the micro particle fallout from any feeding you do in the tank. Those fluffy and hairy plants will catch food in them. The snail are doing the cleanup of those plants for you.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-03-10, 10:46

cichlid-gal wrote:Angelo....the snails are congregating where food particles are being trapped...or the micro particle fallout from any feeding you do in the tank.  Those fluffy and hairy plants will catch food in them.  The snail are doing the cleanup of those plants for you.

Plus One 
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-10, 10:55

cichlid-gal, oooh that makes sense! Very interesting! Smile although, here's another thing...

In the 10 gallon tank, I rarely feed my shrimp tank, so I don't know how any debris would get trapped on the Ambulia... I also have some Purple Cabomba right next to the Ambulia, and they seem to leave that plant alone.

As for the 15 Gallon Column, the Fissidens Moss does trap some stuff, I can imagine, because it's near where I drop the repashy cubes.

It's pretty neat, seeing a bunch of snails in a little "community" rather than spread out all over the tank. Hahaha!!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down