I have no idea

+2
lilfishie
Kingstature
6 posters

Go down

I have no idea Empty I have no idea

Post  Kingstature 2010-05-04, 04:12

We got a order of 600 feeder guppies and my 7 year old son points this guy out obviously losing him in swarm of fish.. He wanted to find this half inch fish amongst the other fish so bad i let him net out all the guppies until he found this guy and we kept him. We have had him for about 4 months and he/she has gone from a half inch fry to a 4" silver aggressive little monster That is named "Billy" by the way.
I would really like to know what he is????
The only things I know is that he eats like a Pig, Grows Like a weed, And Dominates Like "Stone Cold Steve Austin"
So I cannot put him with anyone even a 7" Flowerhorn was afraid of him....

Sorry picture sucks I was trying for a Ultra Close up and it would only go blurry...
Looking forward too your thoughts....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] king king
Kingstature
Kingstature
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

I have no idea Empty id

Post  lilfishie 2010-05-05, 15:56

He/she looks like a jack dempsey maybe!
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

I have no idea Empty Re: I have no idea

Post  Kingstature 2010-05-05, 17:20

lilfishie wrote:He/she looks like a jack dempsey maybe!

What do you mean like a completely silver Jack Dempsey cause Thats what I thought but is almost 5 inches now and no color.. He/she is silver with a slight blue sheen to it....
Kingstature
Kingstature
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-05-05, 18:40

I'm not really familiar with cichlids, but maybe its female? If they are like most other fish, females are not a colorful but still have the same markings?
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthebloody 2010-05-05, 18:48

this is the closest thing i found to it. A red bay snook. heres the link for pics of it... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Hope it helps
whatthebloody
whatthebloody

Back to top Go down

I have no idea Empty Electric blue jack mutation?!

Post  sandnuka 2010-05-06, 02:00

Based on the description of the behavior, the over eating, the fast growth.... I am almost 100% sure you have a Electric blue jack that was badly bread.....
The Electric Blue Jack is not a HYBRID, it is actually found in the wild..... they are really hard to breed a good quality bunch. You have to have a male electric blue spawn with a female normal jack dempsey, then out of there fry you find a female... her gene would be half electric and half normal..... Then she has to spawn with a Electric blue male, (preferably not her father) this would cause inbreeding problems and abdnormalities like, silver fish,mutated, handicapped, or fish that just die at really young age.....

So, I would say you got yourself a badly breed of electric blue dempsey...... I myself have a Electric Blue Jack that is actually silver/white body, and very blue face and tail... it is awesome looking!!! Here is a pic of some babies that will most likely turn blue..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

I have no idea Empty hybrid electric jack and convict

Post  sandnuka 2010-05-06, 03:17

The more I look at your picture, the more I get confused.... lol.... Could possibly be a electric jack with a marble convict...
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kingstature 2010-05-06, 04:38

LoL... I know its a Difficult one... Its not a snook as it doesnt have the double Jaw, Shaped like a Jack but is silver really flashy silver.. It came with Guppy feeders, How the heck does that happen.. I saw another strange looking fish once in pets smart feeders and dude said he couldnt sell it to me cause could possibly be illeagle in Washington.. My Response "So Sell it to me anyways I will buy whole tank of feeders if I have too" Little Douche wouldnt do it...Pets Smart is Lame.. Oh Joe it was same Pets Smart I met you at the other day... Little curly haired dude that sold my nephew a Pacu for his Swordtail tank... I unloaded on the kid for this cause he even asked my nephew what Kind of fish he had... I guess whatever it takes to sell a fish is the Motto there..
What kinda qualifications do they ask for to work there fish dept?
Im so over those people there.. Oh excuse me for that venting....
king
Kingstature
Kingstature
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-05-06, 15:50

I know breeders of the Electric Blue Jack cull the non electric blues from the spawn.... maybe they just decided to sell it with the feeders instead of cull it???? WEll it looks like some kinda of tropical/cichlid... IM amazed it survived in the cooler waters of a guppy/goldfish feeder tank.
Well, thanks for the pic Jason, you really got allot of our minds turning on this one.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-06-20, 06:06

im gonna reply on this again to bring it up to the top of the the topic.... anyone want to take a stab at this crazy lookin fish? before I lock this post.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  shipmonkey 2010-06-20, 15:10

It's a tilapia, probably a blue by the looks of it. A fairly common contaminate in feeders.

shipmonkey
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-06-20, 18:39

HOLY COW! I didnt even think of talapia! YES..... it is definetly a blue talapia... googled it found a picture of one the same age as yours

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kingstature 2010-06-20, 18:48

HA HA HA Nice one ship and nuka you got it... Thank you, Im stoked to finally have an answer to the mystery billy...
Hmmmm, now that I know what he is I must figure out his most suitable conditions...
Im going to take a current pic then I will lock the post..... cheers king
Kingstature
Kingstature
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-06-20, 19:04

actually all thanks to shipmonkey.... he said it first.... I just confirmed! lol.... kinda cheated...... damn, I was waaaaaaaaaay off with the whole blue dempsey convict cross. That was a fun one though... thanks guys!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  me 2010-06-22, 00:33

Realizing most Tilapia in the industry are hybrids, I just wanted tot point out the striping and pattern are still pretty different on these two fish. A better pic of the first pic would be nice, but if it can't be done, it can't be done Wink
me
me

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down