MorganEA
DMD123
Lamental Jester
pbmax
LuminousAphid
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Where to go from here? Empty Where to go from here?

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-09-09, 16:46

Hey guys, I have had this 20 gallon tank for about 2 months now (it seems like so much longer), and I think it's finally getting into balance thanks to all the plants I have gathered over those 2 months.

Sept. 9
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Edit: Sept. 14

Edit: Sept. 16

Edit: Sept. 21

Edit: Sept. 29

Edit: Re-done tank, Oct. 31:

It's pretty low-tech except the light, which is a 24" Finnex Ray 2 (7000k). I add Seachem Flourish about once a week in very small amounts (10-20 drops) so that algae doesn't take over again, but I think I might be able to start bumping that up soon with the extra plants I've brought in recently.

Now, I am wondering where to go from here. My goal is to make the arrangement have more vertical variation, but I don't know a good way to do this except getting taller plants, many of which I don't like the look of. I don't want the "Dutch style" look with big plants in back, medium in middle and short in front. Really, I would like it to be pretty asymmetrical & natural looking, maybe one back corner to be raised up a lot to form a little terrace, but I don't know a good way of doing this. Any ideas on that issue?

I also want to cut down on the number of species I have. I really like the anubia, the ludwigia, the water sprite, and the guppy grass. The Amazon Swords look nice, but don't grow too well in my setup - the older leaves get thin quickly. I do have some root tabs to try on them. The hygro I could live without, and I don't know if I like the look of the Elodea or not. I would ideally like to have only 4-5 species to give it some continuity.

I'm thinking the main thing would be to find a piece of wood which makes interesting use of the space, and then plan and plant around that. But I would like some ideas from you guys for aquascaping a 20 high, if you have come across things which work well (or don't work well)

Last edited by LuminousAphid on 2013-10-31, 13:15; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : updating pics)
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Where to go from here? Empty Re: Where to go from here?

Post  pbmax 2013-09-09, 18:30

Amazon swords require either root tabs or a nutritive substrate. If you give them one of these they'll get HUGE and send runners out everywhere with very little other maintenance. Smile They're one of my standbys because they're so indestructible.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-09, 19:07

Dirt that bad boy!!!  Your plants will take off.  I've got a few extra large swords I'll be bringing to the SWAP, fyi
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-09, 21:15

That is a beautiful tank! Keep up the good work. Spot On 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-09-09, 21:22

some manzanita would look nice in there
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-09-09, 21:45

MorganEA wrote:some manzanita would look nice in there
pbmax: I have known they needed something for a while, I have just been hesitating on doing it because I keep moving things around and I'm worried about getting more algae, so I''m going to wait on the root tabs. I kind of like them small actually, so I may start with just a fraction of a root tab each, so that they don't start getting huge, just maybe more healthy... any other suggestions of getting them healthier but not much bigger? I suppose that if they're healthy, they get big, so maybe I'm asking the impossible

Jester: I have just now really begun learning all of this, so I'm waiting off on the dirt until I have more $$ to spend on it and more knowledge, so that I can do it right. I am not yet confident in my abilities to keep a dirted tank uder control... plus, I like to move things around, and sand is very forgiving for that Smile

DMD123: thanks Very Happy I think it's a bit too cluttered, but some of the stuff I'm proud of- the bog log that I managed to attach all of my anubia to I think looks really cool. I appreciate the compliment Smile

MorganEA: I do like how some of the larger pieces of manzanita look, but I also really like the bog log I have in there. I have another one in my 10 gallon with java moss attached to it, and I'm thinking about bringing that into this tank. I think my RCS live under it though, and I know my clown pleco lives there, so I might look for something else.

Does anyone have suggestions on good sources for wood? So far I got mine from Aquarium Co-Op or found it myself, but Cory doesn't have much more of the african bog log to go with the little piece in there. Or if anyone has any they aren't using...?

I might look up where all of the different species I have come from, what type of water they like, and then go based on that. Maybe african anubias biotope? although a lot of my fish are from south america...
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2013-09-09, 21:53

Try Aquabid.com if you can't find it locally, occasionally you'll see some good pieces up for bid there, and you'll find some different things Cholla cactus wood.
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-09-09, 21:55

Im pretty sure someone is bringing manzanita to the swap if you are going to be there
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-09, 22:17

MorganEA wrote:Im pretty sure someone is bringing manzanita to the swap if you are going to be there
Someone? Like THIS guy? lol... yes, I will have a good amount of manzanita wood there Spot On 

Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-09, 23:34

The only thing I could suggest is to be patient. You DO have a lot of things going on in there, maybe wait another month or two, concentrate  on the plants that are not doing so well, get them healthy, grow them out a bit . More than  likely  you will find the sword is just going to get to big for this set up & not going to fit your ideal. If you wait a bit you will be able to start splitting the Ludwigia and replanting the stems for a fuller plant structure. This would look nice filling out a corner of the tank. Anubias will take a while to grow but will look awesome. African ferns also take a while to fill out. You can train these but in a good environment the branches can get 8-10 inches long. A beautiful plant but I believe will eventually be to big for a 20 gallon tall with other plants.

What I do is stand back and take a good long look (I as sure you already have, lol) . imagine the plants full and large and make adjustments on how YOU would like to see it.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-09-11, 14:54

fishNAbowl:

Yeah, I think patience is what I need at this point. I don't think I have given all of the plants a fair shot, but I can already see that I really like the ludwigia. I actually did do some pruning of those this morning, placed the tops back in the substrate and re-arranged to make a little ludwigia garden. It actually seems to root pretty fast in my tank, and seems really happy once it does. The new top growth since I bought the plants has been nice and compact (probably thanks to LED power) and pretty colorful, with peach-orange tips which look really nice.

I know anubias grow slow, but I just love the way barteri looks and grows, and how low-maintenance it is (my amanos keep the big leaves clean). I would like to pick up some barteri var. nana petite next time I stop into the shop, and see if I can add that to my anubias log without making it too cluttered.

Any suggestions on sloping a sand substrate and getting it to stay that way? Mine seems to slowly slump down to level after a couple weeks.
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-11, 15:32

LuminousAphid wrote:fishNAbowl:

Yeah, I think patience is what I need at this point. I don't think I have given all of the plants a fair shot, but I can already see that I really like the ludwigia. I actually did do some pruning of those this morning, placed the tops back in the substrate and re-arranged to make a little ludwigia garden. It actually seems to root pretty fast in my tank, and seems really happy once it does. The new top growth since I bought the plants has been nice and compact (probably thanks to LED power) and pretty colorful, with peach-orange tips which look really nice.

I know anubias grow slow, but I just love the way barteri looks and grows, and how low-maintenance it is (my amanos keep the big leaves clean). I would like to pick up some barteri var. nana petite next time I stop into the shop, and see if I can add that to my anubias log without making it too cluttered.

Any suggestions on sloping a sand substrate and getting it to stay that way? Mine seems to slowly slump down to level after a couple weeks.
Sometimes Ludwigia will also stem off the sides like branches. Once these are about 3-4 inches one can pick them off at the mothering stem and replant them as well. You probably wont see that unless the plant is half way to , or close to the water line.

Mixing the 2 Anubias plants together is an interesting idea. This may turn out neat. Also, all the Anubias species I have dealt with can be "trained" so to speak. What I mean is; you can cut these plants and make them split (in case you dont already know). As long as you leave at lest 3-4 leaves growing and that the "mother" plant has a good root start. Cutting the top of Anubias will stunt, then 2 tops will replace the 1. This will in turn make the plant start spitting out babies along the side in most cases I've seen. This strategy works well if you want the Anubias to take over a large area instead of just growing along a straight line. The Petite Anubias I have seems to do this naturally for me.

As for tappering sand/gravel. In my experience my sands and gravels usually work them selves back to level to a certain point. I found myself during gravel vac picking up the gravel/sand in the syphon, then slowing releasing it toward the back to retain the slopped look. Once the tank is completely planted this will be difficult if not impossible. Otherwise (unless someone else chimes in with suggestions) I will use borders to hold the substrate back. Like with half buried bog wood, or long slivers of petrafied wood, or slate rocks. Then this should hold the substrate back. Its sort like a "retaining wall". If I get a chance I will dig out photos and show you what I mean.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-09-11, 22:08

Cool, I think I know what you mean... I was thinking of doing that with that big slab of slate I found at the beach, actually. I will have to see what I can work out with that.

That's interesting about the anubias splitting- Do you mean the 1 rhizome will fork into 2 different ones and keep growing on the same plant? Or do you just mean that cuttings will grow separately on their own? I have cut pieces off and they seem to start growing after a couple of weeks, but making a fork-shaped 2 prong rhizome is definitely an interesting idea.

Also, what was the small carpeting plant you have in your bowl? It looks great
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-11, 22:20

I believe the hair type grass is called Eleocharis Belem.

A while ago I was making allsorts of decor with slate. I used a side grinder with a cutting wheel to cut long pieces. I still have many many little pieces just laying around.

Cutting the rhizome of the Anubias will manipulate its growth. The outcome of that growth is unpredictable (disclaimer Wink ) but many of mine split into 2, making a fork. A lot of time this prompted the plant to shoot more rhizomes out of the sides since cutting the plant stunted it. I have a mother plant that I cut starter rhizomes off and seed other tanks, and friends Smile
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-09-11, 22:25

Hmm, interesting, I haven't seen mine splitting yet, but they are pretty new to the tank (tank is pretty new lol) so maybe now that they are fully adjusted, I will try splitting the big one again. I think 1 of the pieces I cut too small, and its growth seems to have stalled, even though it has roots- what's the smallest piece of rhizome you have had success growing? Do the pieces of rhizome have to have their own roots, or will they grow some if they don't?

And thanks for the plant I.D., I have been looking into a good low-tech carpeting plant. I think I remember in your intro post that you don't run anything really high-tech, right? No CO2 or anything? And do you have to trim that, or does it just grow that small on its own?
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-11, 23:33

LuminousAphid wrote:Hmm, interesting, I haven't seen mine splitting yet, but they are pretty new to the tank (tank is pretty new lol) so maybe now that they are fully adjusted, I will try splitting the big one again. I think 1 of the pieces I cut too small, and its growth seems to have stalled, even though it has roots- what's the smallest piece of rhizome you have had success growing? Do the pieces of rhizome have to have their own roots, or will they grow some if they don't?

And thanks for the plant I.D., I have been looking into a good low-tech carpeting plant. I think I remember in your intro post that you don't run anything really high-tech, right? No CO2 or anything? And do you have to trim that, or does it just grow that small on its own?
With the rhizome, I make sure it has at lest3 leaves, and yes at that point there are some roots. I currently have 2 new plants attached to woods. It does seem like it takes forever for the new plant to take off. I mean its been months now & seems only 1-2 new leaves have grown. But on the flip side there is roots up to 5" long from the new start.
I recently cut the "head" off my mother plant (about 2 months ago), this piece was much larger at about 5-6 inches long. It's growing like it was never separated. I could never find anyone who wanted it so I stuck it into substrate.

The Eleocheris Belem I haven't had for very long. I started with a BIG chunk, no I have not cut or trimmed it as of yet. From what I read it stays that short but just keeps spreading. I expect it will eventually choke itself out in its confined space.
The plant is planted in a "dirted" tank. All natural potting soil mixed with Flourite sand packed in as tight as I could get it. I did put a bit of of the sand to cap. That's all that's in there. No ferts, no CO2 except what's made naturally by the fish, snails, and decaying organic matter.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-09-12, 00:51

Ah I see, that's a cool bowl. Did you let the soil sit and "mineralize" or whatnot, or just start planting?

The more I see people's dirted tanks, the more I want to do one...
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-12, 02:15

LuminousAphid wrote:Ah I see, that's a cool bowl. Did you let the soil sit and "mineralize" or whatnot, or just start planting?

The more I see people's dirted tanks, the more I want to do one...
I did let it soak. Not to mineralize the soil but to water log it, & scoop out the 10% that would not sink. It was a fun project but my friend and I  get the same growth out of specialized gravels as well. There are pro's and cons to dirted tanks. The only real pro I find is that its cheaper to "dirt" a tank than buy specialized gravel. The down side to a dirted tank "for me" is your stuck. So once you dirt your tank there is no elaborate rearrangement of decor, or the possible wanting to shift substrate around. With a dirted tank it's set it in and leave it. Which is cool if you have a tank you know your not going to do anything else with. For me thats not practical unless its a bowl :)Also, with my bowl the goal wasn't to dirt & plant. The goal was to create a self maintaining ecosystem. For the most part that goal is accomplished .
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-09-12, 13:27

That's pretty awesome, if my small 4 gallon tank doesn't really work out for shrimp, I might start over with dirt and just plants at first. I'm finding that it's hard to make myself stop messing with things, and if it was dirted and well-planted, I might have no choice Smile

But then again, I hope the 4 gallon works out, I might just start soaking some dirt today in a bowl I got from my aunt.

New journal time? I guess I should do it before I get another job and have no time/don't want to
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-12, 15:58

LuminousAphid wrote:That's pretty awesome, if my small 4 gallon tank doesn't really work out for shrimp, I might start over with dirt and just plants at first. I'm finding that it's hard to make myself stop messing with things, and if it was dirted and well-planted, I might have no choice Smile

But then again, I hope the 4 gallon works out, I might just start soaking some dirt today in a bowl I got from my aunt.

New journal time? I guess I should do it before I get another job and have no time/don't want to
AluminousAphid,
I can totally relate. I have changed decor, themes, fish, ECT... Many many times. I am avid in DYI setups when it comes to plumbing tanks, CO2 set ups, customizing lights, tops, anything & everything when it comes to aquatics! It fun Smile I have a tendency to over do it a bit. My current project is DYI CO2 reactors, trying to figure out a way to pulverize CO2 particals into the water in the most efficient way possible...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-09-13, 10:37

Sounds interesting, the first thing I thought of is using some kind of high pressure atomizing nozzle like what you get on a smoke machine, but I have no technical knowledge of CO2 whatsoever. Are you trying to get the most out of pressurized CO2, or yeast culture type CO2? I might be interested in this either way... I do eventually want to get into CO2 but can't really afford pressurized right now, and haven't bothered with DIY stuff
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-13, 15:20

LuminousAphid wrote:Sounds interesting, the first thing I thought of is using some kind of high pressure atomizing nozzle like what you get on a smoke machine, but I have no technical knowledge of CO2 whatsoever. Are you trying to get the most out of pressurized CO2, or yeast culture type CO2? I might be interested in this either way... I do eventually want to get into CO2 but can't really afford pressurized right now, and haven't bothered with DIY stuff
Pressurized! My current idea is a container where the gas & water can be blended without using propeller type mechanics. In theory its supposed to work by creating a vortex with water pressure. Right now, its still in the idea stages...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-09-14, 14:50

Ok, so I took another pic to see if there has been any progress, and even with just 5 days I can see a difference. The Elodea has really taken off without any acclimation period, and the water sprite has as well. Everything else is about the same, except for minor growth.

I need to take some of the water lettuce out of this tank, it's starting to block out too much light, I think. Anyone want some, I will save it for you?
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-09-21, 12:33

Here's the 20 gallon today, I also updated the first post so the pictures can be seen in order.

I'm still not sure what the plant in the back right is, but it's starting to grow ok, still has a lot of algae on its leaves since it's so close to the light... I also put some root tabs under the amazon swords, so maybe they will start to improve sometime in the near future
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-21, 13:22

I am not sure what the plant is but wanted to stop in and say that I think you got some good growth going on there. Looking real good! Its an evolution, as the plants get bigger I am sure you will find yourself shifting things around.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-09-23, 20:02

Yeah I have tried to resist shifting things around for a while, so that they can get settled... For the first month or so I had this set up, I kept moving things around and putting in/taking out different pieces of wood, and it did the tank no good, so I'm trying to restrain myself and just let things be for a while.

I'm starting to have a bit of a cyanobacteria problem, little bits on plant leaves but mostly in a couple corners it is starting to cover the substrate. I think I will try to remember to only feed this tank every couple days for a while, and see if that solves anything.

I did finally get another job, so I should have some money coming in, which will help with some of the things I would like to do. Like, get a 40 gallon ASAP. Or maybe 55?
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-23, 21:19

LuminousAphid wrote:Yeah I have tried to resist shifting things around for a while, so that they can get settled... For the first month or so I had this set up, I kept moving things around and putting in/taking out different pieces of wood, and it did the tank no good, so I'm trying to restrain myself and just let things be for a while.
Hard to resist sometimes but the best idea! Plants usually look a lot different once they become more mature. When they become larger more filled out its easier to set back & think it over a bit where you want what to go where. But like i said ," its an evolution", always changing like moving furniture around every 6 months or so. I just re designed about a 3rd of a 7 foot tank trying to get some semitry :)i had those same plants in that spot for 10 months...

LuminousAphid wrote:
I'm starting to have a bit of a cyanobacteria problem, little bits on plant leaves but mostly in a couple corners it is starting to cover the substrate. I think I will try to remember to only feed this tank every couple days for a while, and see if that solves anything.
Ut oh, nasty stuff. In my 140 g i was able to get rid of this stuff by more flow (water movement) throughout the tank. In my 29, I had to eventually medicate :(That with a big O Airstone Im hoping it stays away. Good luck!

LuminousAphid wrote:
I did finally get another job, so I should have some money coming in, which will help with some of the things I would like to do. Like, get a 40 gallon ASAP. Or maybe 55?
Spot On
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-09-29, 15:52

So here is the tank today, decided to clean it out a bit and take a picture

Things are looking good, and it seems like the less I mess with it the better things go. I have stopped using flourish excel and I can only see good differences, like the hygro seems to be doing much better without it.

edit: also, does anyone know what this plant is? Still haven't figured it out...

Mystery plant, starting to grow nicely
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-30, 01:00

I'm all flipping back & forth between this and an earlier picture to see the growth... It's coming along, looking good! Before you know it some of those plants will be near the surface.

I've seen your mystery plant before but for the life of me cannot remember the name. I am sure someone will chime in here shortly and identify it.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-09-30, 10:13

Could be moneywort? scratch 
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-09-30, 11:01

pbmax wrote:Could be moneywort? scratch 
I have the same plant and was back at Petco last night returning a light when I seen a pack of this stuff on their shelf. I would have to agree that it looks a lot like Moneywort. I got mine from Billy.

Nice looking tank though, LA.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-09-30, 15:38

looks more like bacopa, I had some in my tank but it died.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-09-30, 15:57

MorganEA wrote:looks more like bacopa, I had some in my tank but it died.
Yeah, I think you're right - more like bacopa than moneywort.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  xicaque 2013-10-22, 00:16

Luminous,

beautiful tank. Where did you get your light? I need one like it.

xicaque
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-22, 00:45

xicaque wrote:Luminous,

beautiful tank. Where did you get your light? I need one like it.
I believe that's a FENNEX RAY. Only place besides on-line I know where to get them is Aquarium Co-Op in Edmonds. Someone else may chime in with other places to get them.

I was curious what he was hanging from the light fixture with monofilament line in his last picture...?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-10-22, 11:46

Oh, it was to try and keep some of the floating plants I have under the light instead of floating around all over the place, but it just ended up being a big mess of plants getting stuck to it, not the greatest idea.

So the tank is doing pretty well still, I have been having some issues with BGA for the last couple weeks so there has been lots of siphoning patches of that out, along with re-arranging the plants for better water flow, because I think that had something to do with the outbreak. That, and I stopped using Excel around the same time, so that is another factor. The funny thing is, unlike a lot of people's stories, the BGA is spreading very slowly in my tank, and hasn't ever had a big sudden outbreak. I have recently added 2 large catappa leaves, and along with making the water nice and noticeably tannin-y, they seem to be further slowing the growth of the BGA. It has been lurking on the glass under the substrate, so I'm hoping that after one more good clean, the antibiotic properties of the tannins might slowly kill the microscopic bits that sure surely left.

edit; I also noticed that BGA was growing on some of the water lettuce leaves, so I have switched over to Amazon Frogbit and the 2 types of salvinia. Also I got duckweed in the tank at some point and now regret it Sad
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-10-31, 13:18

So, since I am moving the next couple days, I combined two of my tanks into one 20 gallon tank, and I actually like the way it turned out. The bigger piece of wood was in my 10 gallon, but I think it fits a little better in this tank, and goes well with the wood I had in there.

It's also nice to have a few more fish in here, I was always afraid of overstocking so I never put anything else in, but I brought over a lot of guppies from my 10 gallon, and also 2 plecos: a longfin albino bristlenose, and a clown panaque. I also sold a few of the blue tetras, which were the ones who were running out of space, so with only 3 of them left things aren't so crowded. Everyone seems to be adjusting well, and I think the fishes enjoy the extra cover.

LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-12-15, 12:26

Update with pic:

I feel like finally the tank is happy, and I am pretty happy with it. I would like to unclutter it a bit, but that might have to wait until I get another tank going where I can put the extra plants.
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-15, 13:08

LuminousAphid wrote:
I feel like finally the tank is happy, and I am pretty happy with it. I would like to unclutter it a bit, but that might have to wait until I get another tank going where I can put the extra plants.

Plants look nice & healthy LuminousAphid.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-12-15, 14:02

Yeah, if you compare the unidentified plants in the front left of the newest picture to what they looked like when I got them:

Before, back left:

After, front right:

You can tell they are much happier. Also the Abubias on the wood are the same ones between the two pics, and they are looking better too. I would like to get the tank a little less cluttered again, though, but looking back it's a huge improvement.
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WhosUrDadi 2013-12-15, 14:06

LuminousAphid wrote:So here is the tank today, decided to clean it out a bit and take a picture

Things are looking good, and it seems like the less I mess with it the better things go. I have stopped using flourish excel and I can only see good differences, like the hygro seems to be doing much better without it.

edit: also, does anyone know what this plant is? Still haven't figured it out...

Mystery plant, starting to grow nicely

that Mystery plant that you have there looks like a "ammania sp. bonsai"  Smile Smile 
WhosUrDadi
WhosUrDadi
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-15, 14:11

Sure, this is half the fun with aqua scaping. I am doing the same thing with a 140g tank that's filling out. Moving stuff around, making adjustments, ect. Your tank looks like mine on a mini scale. I see a few background plants that could be moved or removed from the front. A neatO fern I don't think I've seen before in the middle.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-12-15, 14:21

I think that's just a lace java fern, but I have it stuck down there under the bog log with java moss surrounding it so that it doesn't get too much intense light. That's one of my favorites, and I got it at the Aquarium Co-Op plant swap a couple of months ago.

I think I might get rid of the cabomba eventually, and also take out a lot of the guppy grass in the background. Also, once the little italian val in the front left gets going, I plan on pulling the jangle val out and putting it in another tank.

edit: and thanks WhosUrDaddy, I have been wondering about that for one for a while. At first I really didn't like it, but now that it's happy and growing top full size, it's quite nice. The only confusing thing to me is that info online says Ammannia Bonzai (now classified as the "true" Rotala Indica, apparently) has very small leaves, while the leaves on mine have begun to get bigger as it nears the light, and some are now almost 1" long near the top. But all the pics do look just like mine, it's probably my lighting that gives a bit more size to the leaves.
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-12-15, 16:44

Wow...lots of change and good growth in your tank. Looks good luminous.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-15, 21:31

LuminousAphid wrote: The only confusing thing to me is that info online says Ammannia Bonzai (now classified as the "true" Rotala Indica, apparently) has very small leaves, while the leaves on mine have begun to get bigger as it nears the light, and some are now almost 1" long near the top. But all the pics do look just like mine, it's probably my lighting that gives a bit more size to the leaves.

Interesting. I did a little reading tonight. Seems the name Ammannia Bonzai was the common name of this plant years ago when it was 1st introduced to the U.S.
Now the common name is Rotala Indica. The reason I am interested is because there is another plant that gets confused name wise. This other plant is a plant I have and for months tried to find out its common name. I was calling the plant I have Rotala Indica when in fact what I have is Rotala rotundifolia. I think you nailed it on the head. I am not 100% sure but I think your plant may be this "Rotala Indica".

Here is a picture of my plant that I thought was Rotala Indica. With the research I did I now think it's called Rotala rotundifolia.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-12-16, 16:31

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but that Mystery Plant you were asking about (LuminousAphid) Looks a lot like Lemon Bacopa (Bacopa Caroliniana) . . . I have that stuff growing in my tanks and I love it, because it has this distinct smell of lemons/limes when you rub the leaves out of the water. Very Happy

Stuff is awesome, when exposed to higher light, the leaves turn bronze / reddish green, and when they grow above water level, they have tiny purple colored flowers. Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-12-17, 21:19

Wow, it's amazing how similar those two plants look.... I really don't know which one I have, haha! I will have to look into that, although it looks a little more like the Rotala in most pics, it also looks very similar to some of the pictures of Bacopa I am seeing, and growth can depend a lot on light and fertilizer levels.

Thanks a lot, I thought I had it all figured out! Razz
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-12-21, 13:43

Update: got together the last 4 photos of the tank, lets see what the recent progress looks like

December 1

December 13

December 15

December 21
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-12-21, 17:29

Great growth in just 3 weeks...wow. I hope my tank does that (in a good way).
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-12-21, 21:20

its all about the lights, and I also usually have pretty high nitrates (though that is changing, see my thread on my german blue rams). I use a Finnex Ray2 24" on this tank, and recently also got a Monster Ray to go with it, and with help from the south-facing window it has really taken off the last month or so. Once you get things in balance, and the plants get established, it just takes care of itself... I didn't do much to it really to get this- no CO2 or excel, just a once-weekly or so dose of Flourish, and weekly water changes are all you need!

edit: and lots of snails!
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum